SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Medications in pregnancy

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Medications in pregnancy « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 144.139.167.31
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this may be a couple of questions in one.
I have an 8 year old mare has had 2 foals and is is now 9 months pregnant with her third.
First question
For this one I dont ahve a specific timeline until recently so About 18 months ago while this mare was 6 months pregnant with her second foal we found her caught in a fence, various cuts, eye swollen shut etc all healed. Approximatly a month later she was found in a different paddock to her own with the fence pulled down between her paddock and this one. Various cuts, same eye swollen and shut. All healed again. This continued on at approximately monthly intervals finding fenced down and her in another paddock. About a year ago I started writing down the exact timing of these "episodes". They happen every 3 weeks to the day. I have since seen what she is doing and that is laying down on top of a fence stay and trying to roll thereby getting herself caught in the fence and then of course struggling to get out of it. My vet will not do any sort of work on her until she has foaled this latest foal due in 7 weeks. Does anyone have thoughts on this.
Now to the second question
6 weeks ago this mare got caught in an electric fence we got to her pretty quickly and cut her out but she was getting zapped the whole time. This mare was then put in what was thought to be a safe mesh fence yard. Right on time 3 weeks ago she got down on teh fence and rolled pulling all the mesh of the fence and stabbibng herself in the eyeball with a cut wire edge of the mesh.
She is on bute, was on 6 days of penicillin injections, now on trimidine twice a day and tricine and atropine in the eye twice a day as well.
Will any of these affect the foal or cause her to foal early as Im also worried as she is almost fully bagged up as well with 7 weeks to go which is not normal for her (and no chance of mistaking service dates either).

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a weird one! Is she rubbing on the fence and then falling over? I don't know why she would be doing this every three weeks, though....you'd think she'd learn after the first time. Perhaps she has an eye disorder, caused by previous inflamation. This can cause them to go partially blind in cycles. (It used to be called Moon Blindness) That's the only reason I can imagine she would roll on a fence regularly.

I'm not sure if the atropine will cause any trouble. I should think the antibiotics would be safe enough. Bute thins the blood some and can contribute to stomach ulcers, in the mare and the unborn foal. If she isn't grazing all day, you may wish to put her on Ranitidine or similar. I don't know if this will help the foal's tummy, though.
The problem you have is that the mare needs treating, so I guess you will have to hope all is well. We have had many mares over the years that have needed treatments at this stage of pregnancy, and never lost a foal as a result.
After bubby is born, perhaps Mum will need a chiropractor. Horses do very odd things when they have back pain.

I wish you the best of luck!

Anonymous

Posted From: 147.69.107.126
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet seems to think she is feeling some sort of pain as well but cant explain why it would only happen every 3 weeks and why she manages to damage the same eye and leg every time. She is definitly not rubbing/scratching and falling over that was a theory as well until we watched her do it and she literally walks up to a fence gets as close as possible and lays down and rolls over into it thus getting caught in it. We have tried every paddock on the place post and rail, wire, mesh she is currently boxed 24/7 which she hates. Have tried her with other horses, without other horses, small paddocks, large paddocks nothing makes a difference.
She has been in foal or had a foal at foot since it started whether that has anything to do with it I dont know but she had previously had a foal before that with no sign of problems. First foal was a colt, second foal when it started a filly, I weill be interested to see if this next one is a filly as one of my way out theories is possibly the sex of the baby is sending an influx of hormones that are a problem for her, crazy I know but I am so at a loss. It is really sad seeing this mare try to destroy herself.

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could be more help to you, but this is about the oddest thing I've heard of a horse doing. So your 'way out' theory is just about as good as any I can think of.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US