SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare lost foal 6 months ago still producing milk.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mare lost foal 6 months ago still producing milk. « Previous Next »

Jessica Magley
Neonate
Username: Jessemidge

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 15 yaer old mare that was a maiden till this year when she had a beutiful choclate dun colt. Unfortunately I was not able to be there and the foal suffocated in the amniotic sac. The problem is that I droped her feed drastically and her bag went away just like the vet said to do to dry her up. But she still has a ton of milk even after six months. She also has acted weird ever since and never come back to her normal VERY predictable heat cycles. She had a foal heat and was acting normal now she is moody, possesive and doesn't want anything to do with any other horses. Whats going on? I want to re breed her but am having problems predicting her heat cycle and now need to wait till next year.

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares never dry up. My friend has one that's still lactating, although her oldest foal is now 6 years. The good news is the same mare will adopt foals!!

Your best bet would be to have a good reproductive exam (this year if you can) so you know where you stand and what you need to do.

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a set of percheron sisters, both about 7 years old, and they always have milk. I am not talking a drop every now and then, their bags tend to stay pretty full. And if one of my weanlings is acting distressed, the mares bags will fill up completely and they will try to nurse the baby! The vet said that they are just natural mamas, and so I had them both bred this year. I figured it is a good thing to have around, in case their is an orphan baby in the spring, I have two mares that will adopt it with little to no problem.
As for your mare not coming into heat, one of my mares did the exact same thing when she absorbed her baby last year. She just would not show her cycle for the rest of the season. This season, she was completely back to normal, we bred her, and she took the first time. So if I were you, I would wait and see how she does next season before becoming overly concerned.
Hope this helps.

Joanna

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, LRidgeway is right, a repro exam would help to know what is going on.
Joanna

Kim v.
Yearling
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all very interesting to me. My 24 year old still has "milk"for lack of a better term - her last baby is 9. My friend told me it's called "Witches milk". It doesn't LOOK like milk, it's clear and her bag is normal size.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US