SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Could my mare be pregnant

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Could my mare be pregnant « Previous Next »

julie rogers
Neonate
Username: Dot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please could sombody tell me if my new mare could be pregnant? i have only had her one week and the signs are, she is leaking milk to the touch ; drinking lots of water, eating nearly a full bail of hay a day .the vet said she is 75% sure she is but is comming back tomorrow to do ultra sound scan, although the vet also said she could not feel anything when she did the internall but her uteres had dropped. and i was not told she may be in foal when i bought her. are there any other reasons for the milk/water symptoms?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also bought a mare that was leaking clear liquid then it gradually turned white.But when i had the vet come out she wasnt pregnant and i am still puzzled over it.Could he had made a mistake?I live in a very small deserted country so another vet is kinda hard to find.I guess i will just have to wait and see.But also i was not told she could be in foal when i bought her.

karol dietrich (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.52.193.176
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly, just possibly, the mares mentioned above have a condition called mastitis - it's a low-grade infection in the mammarian glands. One of my mares had this and there's v. little one can do because you certainly don't want to try and wash the area and maybe get a full-blown infection going on. Still, though, keep checking with other mare owners - esp. those in the the Kentucky area around Lexington where it is mostly a broodmare area.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10302
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares will have milk present despite not being pregnant. This may be as a result of an abnormal hormone level. Chances are that your vet is correct, but if you have doubts a second opinion is warranted.

Mastitis is more commonly associated with a full (engorged) udder, and I suspect that what is being seen is merely a small amount of milk leaking, but again, if there are concerns, a second opinion is valid.

Lisa Weir
Weanling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these mares straight out of competition? I have heard of fillies in racing and even yearling prep, who lactate. It's thought to be related to really high protien feed. With a more normal diet, and a little time, they return to normal.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,I have changed my mares diet and things seem to be straighting up,no more milk that I have seen.Maybe it's not an on-coming infection!Hopefully her diet was the problem.Did I mention she is between 8-9 years old?Could it be something with her age? Thanks for the advice on changing her diet,maybe that is it.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US