SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Gurgling Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Gurgling Mare « Previous Next »

Bobby Ann Abbott
Neonate
Username: Baskmidnightshadow

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure this may sound strange and honestly I wasn't going to ask this question but I have got to know if anyone else has had this happen. I have this mare in to breed to my stallion and she gets a lot of gurgling sound from her vulva. It happens after we breed mostly but sometimes it will just gurgle when she is just in her stall or when I clean her. Has anyone came across a mare that does this and does it mean anything? Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10146
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you check the mare's reproductive conformation you will probably find that it is poor. The most common cause of the noise you describe is that the mare is a "windsucker", meaning that she has lost her vestibular seal due to poor reproductive conformation.

These mares will most commonly be more difficult to get and/or keep in foal, as they will also be sucking in pathogens when they move and suck in the air, so there is likely to be an increased pathogenic presence in the vagina and uterus.

A Caslick's procedure may be of value, but be aware that if the conformation is poor enough, it could cause her to start pooling urine (if she isn't already).

It might be worth having an experienced repro. vet evaluate this mare.

Bobby Ann Abbott
Neonate
Username: Baskmidnightshadow

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your help. This mare has been sort of reluctant to get pregnant. Last year we breed her and sent her home and then I went out and palpated her for her and it felt like she was pregnant and she never came back into heat so we thought we all was well until winter when she started looking thin and not pregnant. So they brought her back this past April to rebreed. Now as a note she did not make this noise last year. I breed her every other day and then 2 days in a row at the end of the cycle. On the 17th day took her to u/s at local vet clinic and she was not pregnant but had a 3cm follicle and the vet said she should be coming in heat. We didn't know why she didn't catch and the vet felt she had poor conformation and probably should be cultured and maybe a biospy (thought she saw some scar tissue) and then she would be a good candidate for a caslick or she would might need to be put on regumate. I talked to the owner and teased the mare two days later figureing she should come back into heat which she never did. The owner stated that her vet stated they had been having problems in their owner with horses not keeping the fetus and they were beeing put on regumate and that is what she wanted to do. The mare never came back into heat a week later and I was planning on giving her a shot of lut. but the owner wanted me to check one more time because that happen before and she had a baby the next spring. So I took her in (same vet clinic different vet) and she was open no follicle, no scar tissue no fetus. I mentioned to this vet about the culture and biopsy along with poss caslick and he stated he didn't see anything wrong with her conformation. Needless to say the next day she got a shot of lut, came in heat the following day and I have breed her every three days and she is still in heat. Tomorrow will be a week that she is in heat. I really don't think my chances are good but seeing how the mare has to pay the expense for all the test it is really hard to convience them to spend money especially when she never had problems before but I was unaware she hadn't had a foal for a couple years before I got her. What do you think?

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.62
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A caslick would be an enexpensive help. Not only could it help to keep her from infecting during the important first 90 days, it could also help her maintain an acceptable seal in the future.

A culture is important, especially with a mare with this conformation. First, make certain that she is clean, secondly,keep her that way with a caslick's.

I would also suggest following the insemination with oxytocin. It is well worth the effort and small expense when you consider all that had been done.

I would follow her with ultra sound so that you know what you are breeding on. Then follow with HCG and then with oxytocin at the appropriate time. After a heartbeat, caskick's.

I had a mare last year that kept getting dirty, that had bad conformation. I infused her, gave her a caslick's and waited until this year.

Due to the caslick's. she had a much improved seal, stayed clean and is now 60 days in foal.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US