SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Positive UC twice on Maiden Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Positive UC twice on Maiden Mare « Previous Next »

Sue Walker
Neonate
Username: 3greymares

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had posted this previously on the COTH. I'm at my wits end and not sure if I should change vets or not.
Heres the scenario.
I took my mare to a well known Vet hospital in Central Texas for a UC. I use them for everything and have never had a problem.
This is a maiden mare, who has been in a mixed herd up until last year.
Her first culture came back positive for Staph and Bacillus. Prior to doing an infusion, Kathy suggested to me to insist that the vet do a cytology.
Well, when I dropped her off for the cytology, the receptionist did NOT tell the vet that I wanted a cytology, so he started the infusions.
When I called later that afternoon, the vet said he did not get the message, had infused her, and they didn't do cytologies anyways!
So we continued the infusions.
I just got word that now she has tested positive for Proteus!
The explanation was that it could have been lurking, and because it is not sensitive to the Gentocin they used on the first infusion, it manifested itself and grew.
I did have the vet do a breeding exam while she was there during the infusions just to make sure there were no abnormalities. She's fine as far as her anatomy is concerned.
I'm on the fence right now and will be calling the vet where the Stallion is being stood for a second opinion.
I've turned up nothing in searches about these bacteria other than general information and I hope that I can get more detailed info here.
I am a former small animal tech, we always did cytologies before anything else, but I'm in the dark with the specifics.

Thank You!
3GM

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10070
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proteus spp. - although they may be a causative agent of endometritis (inflammation of the endometrium) - are more commonly found to be a contaminant. In other words, they are not a problem that will prevent pregnancy establishment or maintenance. This is why it is critical that a cytology smear be created and read in conjunction with the culture. We've said it before, and we'll say it again:

The results of a uterine culture alone is worthless as an indicator of the uterine pathogenic status. A cytology smear supporting the culture results must be present to permit a conclusive diagnosis of the presence of an endometritis-causing pathogen.

While it is possible that the Proteus that was found is causing endometritis, it is equally possible (or possibly more likely) that it is not.

If this were my mare I would have the cytology smear performed before doing anything else (it takes only about 10 minutes to take a swab, stain and read the smear). If the vet practice you are dealing with refuses (or is incapable) to do it, find another veterinarian. My recommendation would be to find a Theriogenologist, which means they are board certified in the practice of veterinary medicine related to reproduction (and will want to do a cytology smear or biopsy! :-)). They may be more expensive at the outset, but in the long run may prove cheaper than a general practice vet. - as you are now probably finding!

In addition to our article on cytology you might also like to look at the article provided by Purdue University on uterine infections and intrauterine therapy.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US