SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Udder problems in mare that is due

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Udder problems in mare that is due « Previous Next »

kimk
Posted From: 12.96.250.250
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a question-- also have contacted vet. been in the horse business for 20 plus years never seen this but someone has had too !! Mare is due to foal she is at her 11 mo/10 mark. she appears to have a hernia in her milk sack. It started to develop two weeks ago as normal--quickly and then receded a little. Now she is full and ready to deliver. But she has been leaking from the back of her udder over that past two days, at first we thought it was urine that flowed down and was dripping , last night i was able to actually get my hand between her legs and wipe some of this off, it was clear in color and sticky as it dried. The when we checked her later in the night it had formed a crystal icycle about a 1/4 of a inch long. My husband was able to actually see this time and it appears as if there is a small herina in the back of her milk sack which maybe there is a pinhole leak. What type of problems do i have to look for, what are things that i need to do, please help... This mare is carrying a foal out of my stallion that i had to put to sleep last october after a bout of health problems(none which would affect baby).... Any suggestions would be grateful

Jacki Green
Posted From: 152.163.100.13
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big horse expert but if when she gives her foal and milk is not flowing properly, you may need to give the foal goats milk or formula which you can buy at a feed store. What did your vet say about it? Hope things go well :-)

kimk
Posted From: 12.96.250.250
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
Wow, don't we all learn something each day !
I just got off the phone with the vet. I guess this is a common thing. We've never had it! It is like a herina in the milk bag. I will tell you all so that you all can learn something too, if you already don't know. Everyone can be ok. The mare has two independant sides to the milk sack. Each work independantly. They don't know why it happens but it does. It will continue to be a possible problem throughout the time that this foal is at her side or it may be like there is nothing wrong. The vet told me to make sure that the foal nurses off the other side first for the colosterm and just to make sure that the foal appears to be getting enough milk. The herina is small and most would not even notice it but because we watch closely the condition of the due mares we narrowed it down to this. The vet agreed with our findings and made those suggestion. If baby does not appear to be getting the colosterm from mom, then we can intervien and give it some artifical stuff. Once baby and mare are doing good, the baby can continue to nurse as noraml for normal length of time. Once baby is weaned the herina can heal and all should be ok. It is just a pinhole for now and hopfully once some pressure is released from nursing than maybe there will not be a increase in leakage. I will be saying my prayers over the next few days.

andrea pitner
Neonate
Username: Pitnea

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare just gave birth yesterday, 6/16 to a filly. Not sure if the baby got an colostrum plus the mare is not producing a lot of milk. Does is take a few days for a mare's bag to fill up after giving birth? What does a vet usually do if the baby is not showing high signs of colostrum?

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi andrea,

you need to get the vet out to check the foal... you need to get an IGG pulled on the foal.. it is a blood test that tests the colostrum.....foals can go down hill very fast, so do it now. they do it usually the next day after the foal is born..

Good Luck!!

andrea pitner
Neonate
Username: Pitnea

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does a mare usually produce more milk after the foal is born? if so, how many days will it take? The vet has given the mare some medicine to help her produce more.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

almost instantly is what is supposed to happen!
have that babies blood checked!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US