SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Could Mare be Pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Could Mare be Pregnant? « Previous Next »

Leslie
Posted From: 205.188.116.13
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We purchased a 5 year old mare on October 17 and the seller indicated the mare was out with stallions from June-October. We had our vet palpate and u/s and he said she wasn't pregnant and that her uterus was flaccid and horns filled with fluid. This mare's behavior has been very sweet up til a few weeks ago. Her belly has been changing to a triangular shape, she is extremely cranky, she stays 50-75 feet away from the other horses, she doesn't exert much energy when all the horses are running in the pasture, she bent over a 3" tree to rub her belly and she seems edgy. Is it possible she could be pregnant afterall? Or is this a sign of pain? The odd symptoms started about two weeks ago. Not sure where to go from here with the vet, do we have him palpate, ultrasound or blood test?

Rooty
Posted From: 67.71.19.171
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether she's pregnant or not you should get your vet out to examine her, she's had a serious change in behaviour and there has to be a reason for it. Call and give them her symptoms and they should know what to at least start checking her for. Your mare sounds unhappy and you need to find out why.

pauline douglas
Neonate
Username: Pauline21

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

My mare was covered last year then scanned 14 days after her last covering, vet said she wasnt in foal. as was getting late on in the year decided to leave her n try again this year early incase she had a problem, but now she hasnt came into season yet, which is not like her as the past few years shes always been regular, does anyone know if its likely to have been to early for the scan?which means it wud have been missed? her stomach is getting bigger but she also lives out at grass,

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10061
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pregnancies do get missed on ultrasound. A competent ultrasonographer should not miss a 14-day pregnancy, but... :-)

It may be that she is still transitional and not showing estrus yet; you might just be missing her "heat"; or she could be pregnant.

If you have any doubts, you should have your mare checked. Missing being there at foaling, or essential immunizations of a pregnant mare could be disastrous.

Anonymous

Posted From: 67.42.131.52
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if this posts twice as I did not see it post the first time, so tried again.

I also have a question about a possible pregnancy. The mare in question could have been covered in a barn mishap, but at the time I didn't think it was likely. This would have been 150-160 days ago. I do plan on getting a vet out here as soon as I can, but would like to list some of the changes I have seen in her recently and get some general impressions on whether this may be signs of a pregnancy or what else could be going on.

Her behavior has changed recently. Normally always very sweet, there are times when she gets pretty ornery particularly when I am touching her around her flanks and in front of her teats. There are times she will let me touch, doesn't really appear as though she is reacting out of pain, but more out of being uncomfortable or unsure. There are times she will let me touch her in those areas, but gets upset if I mess around with her too much. She has also been a bit more bossy than usual when handling her. She is also still very much her sweet self most of the time. She has some edema also in front of her teats. She will let me brush these areas, but no touchy. She will try to turn her head to me, move away and kick out her rear leg. She also seems to be carrying her belly slightly differently and it is most noticeable around her flanks. Her udder and teats look normal. I should mention she is a 4 year old maiden. Her urine also appears to have a florescent hue to it, though I've been thinking she could be possibly pregnant, so that may be my eyes playing a trick on me.

She is eating normally--very good appetite and exercising normally. Everything else about her seems normal. She typically has pretty silent heat cycles, but have not noticed her really coming in and out lately. This is not a mare I intended to breed for 1-2 years, so have not really been paying close attention to her cycles.

Lastly, today I noticed a clear sticky discharge--very small amount. No smell. It was fairly close to when she had just finished urinating. Also, just before I noticed the discharge she got upset or excited by the stallion who she could see out her window--tail had gone up in the air. Checking her about an hour later, no more discharge. Thought maybe she was in heat, but when the stallion was around her again, she did not show any signs of being interested in his presence other than as a barn buddy.

Could all of this be signs of a pregnancy or if something else is going on with her, what are some things to consider?

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to also mention that she also has been drinking more water than usual, even when it has been colder.

Thanks!

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.173
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you taken her temperature? She could have caught an infection from the encounter. Horses with an elevated temp. may consume more water.

Most mares become more docile when they become pregnant, but I have had a few that try and "protect" the belly area.

Until your vet comes, I can only suggest taking the temp. as something that you can do.

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.173
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pauline, Are you certain that she was 14 days? It can be harder to detect a 12 day or less pregnancy for a vet that does not ultra sound many mares. It takes practice!

As time goes on, be alert to other changes so that you are aware of any impending foaling.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, thanks for commenting--should have mentioned that temperature of the mare is fine.

Thanks!

anon (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.145.186.69
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare we leased, and I swore I felt something move for the last 3 month. I have had about 20 babies, the mare reacts to the stallion by peeing, but strikes if he comes close she is due on jun 8th if she is prego. THe vet palpated her yesterday and says no way. She looks low in the belly, really low but not fat.. She is 15 year old and a broodmare we leased. Never had a problem Could the vet be wrong this late in time.?

Cathy
Neonate
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare is pregnant she would be 10 months at this point. I don't believe even a vet that was not real experienced would miss a pregnancy at this late date.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had my vet culture my mare last Tuesday.
She had a time of it and said her cervix was really tight. We never had a problem culturing her before. We tried a quicky breeding with a new stud in September of last year just to see how it would go because of lastness. She was U/S in October. Didn't think it looked like it took. She has had a mild heat last month. Would be due again now. She hugs and kisses my gelding but nothing heavy like she has before.
?????????????????

W

LAR (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.73.45.196
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took my mare in to be checked by the vet Saturday and he palpated her first and said she was bred, then when he ultrasounded her he said she wasn't bred. If she took she would be 6 weeks along. His machine has a screen the size of a credit card (very small) and at first it seemed like he couldn't find the uterus and when he did he said she wasn't bred. He said that she must have slipped her foal and her body thinks that it is bred. I asked if there was anything I need to give her or do and he said no. What do you all think?

Thanks.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10193
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 42 days, the pregnancy is fairly obvious (there is a page of embryo images on this site that you might like to look at by following that link). Some of the ultrasound units do not have a vary large screen, but if the user is adept in its use, at that stage there should be no missing a pregnancy.

If she lost the pregnancy after about 36 days, then she is likely not to come back in to estrus ("heat") until around 120-150 days after she was bred, as during that time there are some structures present called "endometrial cups" that secrete a hormone that encourages formation of secondary CL's that in turn secrete progesterone that will prevent her from displaying estrus. Towards the end of that time, these cups regress and once they have regressed, the progesterone levels will fall allowing her to display estrus again. Repeated use of prostaglandin F2a will sometimes resolve the CL's, but success is very limited.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US