SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lactation in barren mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Lactation in barren mare? « Previous Next »

Brit
Posted From: 66.245.213.141
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 4 y/o mare... she had a foal over a year and a half ago- the foal was weaned at 5 months and has been separated from the mare ever since... thus the mare has been dried up for over a year.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed she had begun bagging up, and is producing a good amount of milk. She's also exhibiting other "pregnant" mare type behaviors, like increased water intake, taking more frequent naps, she's more moody, and she frequently looks at her belly.

I had a vet out last week to preg check her- the vet did not have an ultrasound machine though, and "didn't think" she was pregnant when she palpated her- but was not 100% sure. Later on I was talking to some people from school, and they said they wouldn't really trust this vet's judgement (to put it nicely).

I have been talking to my professors at school (most are vets), as well as the vet I used to use (unfortunately I moved out of her area, but she still lets me call and ask questions), and we cannot figure out what could be going on with this mare if she is not pregnant. She looks big, but more fat big, not really pregnant-big. There is a chance the other vet may have been wrong, and there is a chance the mare could have been expossed to a stud (although unlikely, there's a small chance).

Has anyone else ever had experience with this?

outlawpaints
Posted From: 206.74.62.160
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 12 yr old mare that keeps milk year round. she has not had a baby for a couple of years, but this year she is pregnant so of course it will get bigger. She did not have a huge udder, but you could get plenty of milk out of her. The man we bought her from said she was always like that. your mare may be having a "false" pregnancy. she could be having all the signs, but not really pregnant. how far along would she be if she were pregnant? because most mares won't bag up until right before they foal. (a couple of weeks) but there Are some out there that fool us. LOL if you are worried have a really good qualified vet check her and if it's too late to have an utrasound down, have the blood test done. At least then you could be sure and wouldn't be worrying yourself to death for nothing. Good Luck!

Brit
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure how far along she would be if she were pregnant- honestly, it could be just about anytime. We've never PURPOSELY bred her- but there were several times she could have possibly been expossed to a stud.

If it is a false pregnancy, how big of a bag is she going to get, and how long will it last?

outlawpaints
Posted From: 206.74.62.160
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she could get a full bag. i am not sure how long it would last. your best bet would be to get her pregnancy checked. or maybe call your vet and ask some questions. the only dumb question is the ne that wasn't asked. besides it could mean the life of your mare or her baby if she is pregnant. If she is not pregnant she might be a good "step" mommy for another foal who maybe lost it's mother if she is willing to let it nurse. The best thing would be to get her pregnancy checked and talk to your vet. You can't go wrong by that. Good Luck and let us know how things go.

Brit
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks... The problem is that I don't have a trailer to take her to my old vet who is really, really good. And outside of the vets at school, there are two equine vets in the area who will make farm calls. One is the one who already checked my mare. The other told me he honestly didn't have much experience in this area, at least he was honest and I really appreciated that.

So it looks like I'll have to wait 2 weeks for one of the vets from school to come out and look at her. That amount of time just feels impossibly long. I think I will at least give my old vet a call so I can ask her some questions tho... she's sooooooooo great! Even though I moved out of her area, she has no problem with me calling her to ask her questions, she still helps me with homework and projects when I need the help, she's just a fantastic vet.

I have another question... the mare's milk is changing colors and consistancy as well. Before, it was more watery and clear with a white tint. Now it's slightly less watery, and it's becoming more of a solid white. Is this good/bad/normal?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.249.47
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brit,
Normally I would say that if a mare's milk is turning solid white, that usually indicates impending foaling. Meaning they will foal within about 24 hours.
Now whereas your mare was just recently palpated, if she were that close to impending foaling, I honestly can't see how a vet would have missed the pregnancy. The palpator would have most surely been able to feel the foal itself.
I had a mare palped within her last week of pregnancy before and my vet told me that the foal was actually nibbling on his fingers!
If your mare doesn't have a foal shortly, then you really need to have her checked to find out what is causing this.

Heaven's Gait Farm
Posted From: 167.127.107.11
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! Have a question...i have a non pregnant mare (21 yrs old, 7 yrs since last baby) in a stall next to a pregnant mare due any day now. i noticed yesterday the non pregnant mare has a very small bag and you can milk a cloudy clear-whiteish fluid from both sides! Is there such a thing as "sympathy" pregnancy? i dont know much about false pregnancies...any info appreciated!! I am going to discuss this with our vet also...but i always like many opinions, esp real life experienced opinions!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US