SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When can you see the baby move?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » When can you see the baby move? « Previous Next »

twhgait
Posted From: 69.23.219.90
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare is currently 200+ days. Today I noticed that she was leaving the herd and staying by herself. Because that is sometimes a sign of trouble, my friend and I sought her out and checked her over. She ate treats just fine, LOVED her scratching, tummy is gurgling. As we were standing there looking at her, both me and my friend noticed a thump from the inside near the front of her flank!!! At the same time, the mare glanced at her side. Could that be the baby moving? I personally can't think of anything else it would be, it was a definte "thump". Having had 4 of my own children, I can totally relate it to that! When do the foals start moving? Thanks for answering! This is my first foal/pregnancy and I'm not sure what to expect with anything! I guess a part of me is also worried that she may be getting sick

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.126
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can definitely feel foal movement at 200+ days. And probably see it too. I have a mare that is 180 days and I have already felt her foal moving. I have another who is at 220 days, and I am also able to feel hers moving as well. I have not actually seen the foals move yet, but I know it's coming sometime soon.
There are times during the latter part of pregnancy that the foal will get moving so much or start pushing on different things inside the mare that it can be quite uncomfortable to them. I had a mare one year who started to exhibit severe signs of colic when she was about 9 mos. pregnant and I literally thought she was going to die. I called the vet out immediately and by the time he got here, she was up and grazing and acting as though nothing ever happened. He palped her and said that the foal was being extremely active and more than likely it had been pushing on her organs so bad that she had been in extreme pain, but once the foal moved away from whatever it had been pushing on, the pain went away and then the mare was fine. I'll tell you what, it scared me to death!
So, be prepared for just about anything with pregnant mares :-)

outlawpaints
Posted From: 206.74.62.160
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have two mares due in May. One on the 5th and the other on the 8th. of course I know that is just an estimate, but i was wondering.... I was out feeding the other day and as always i love on them especially our maiden (touching her teats getting her used to something down there) and I was holding my hand on her belly with my arm upagainst her side and I could have sworn i felt something move. (like a little thump) could it be possible to feel something this early? I thought I felt something on my other mare too. we have only had one baby, but still i guess eceryone is different. I am still pretty new at this. Any comments are welcomed... Thanks!

twhgait
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy and outlawpaints!!!
Well I'm just pleased that it was the baby I saw! I knew it HAD to be! I've seen those thumps on my own belly when I was prego. She was just acting weird and I knew something was up!! I worry enough about her the way it is---hopefully she won't act colicy too much! Outlawpaints-My mare is due May 5th too! It must have been the baby you felt too! I guess when you look at it, it's really not that early anymore-our mares all only have 150-ish days to go! More then halfway.

outlawpaints
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats! we will have to keep each other informed on who's mare goes first.. The one that is "due" on the 5th is maiden so it's no telling. Our other mare that is due on or around the 8th will probably go before her. LOL. I found it is best to feel for them when they eat their grain. Those babies must love it the way it thumps around. I can't wait. we are so excited. these two will make our 2nd and third babies. hope all goes well. Good Luck!

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.249.47
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first one I have due is March 31st! But she is also a maiden, so anything goes. My other two are due around May 15th. Two years ago these same two mares foaled on the same night...I'm wondering if they're going to do it again this time :-)

twhgait
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, THAT's a busy night, Sandy!! Mine's maiden too, so does that mean she will go longer or shorter? I will be sleeping in a public boarding barn......I'm so not looking forward to it!
For sure I will post here with updates, please do the same!! I'd love to compare notes with you guys! I will feel for more foal movements with her dinners and see if I can catch it again...it was most defintely wonderful to see!!
I was actually kinda "jiggling" her belly yesterday to see if I could wake the foal up, but no luck :-(

horselady
Posted From: 67.70.69.94
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden mare due May 12th. and another maiden due July 1. I havent even thought to look to see if there is any movement. I have her boarded at a horsey holiday inn, so will check on the weekend and see what if anything is going on. Thanks for the tip!

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.181
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was a hectic night. They actually had foaled within about 45 minutes of each other. I had just got one foal on the ground, was making sure that it was doing all right, I went in the house to grab something, looked at the foaling camera that was on the other mare and noticed that she was down and pushing! So, I had to leave the newborn baby who was in the mini barn down by my house to run up to the big horse barn at the top of the pasture and be there for the birth of that one! The birth went fine, but then when the mare stood up the umbilical cord broke off too close to the newborn filly's body and it was bleeding like crazy. There was literally blood just flowing out all over the place. So, I ran to the house again to get some string to try to tie it off and by the time I got back up to the barn, the bleeding had stopped. So, all night long I was going back and forth between the two barns making sure the foals were doing everything they were supposed to be doing. I really hope these two mares don't do that to me again, it was nuts.
As far as maidens going sooner or later, it's a 50/50 shot. But from my own experience with my own maidens and my friends' maidens, they have always gone over. But that doesn't mean squat honestly. I have also read that the time of year they are due will sometimes play a part in whether they go early, on time or over. If they are due early in the season, they tend to go early or on time. If they are due in the later months of summer, they tend to go over.
I have actually found that if they are due in April or before, they will go early or on time. Anything past April, they go over. Weird huh?

outlawpaints
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so excited. we have the two ready to go soon and just can't wait to see what we will get.. My older mare will probably go before our maiden. Are the longer backed horses harder to tell when they start showing or what? Our maiden is already getting pretty big and My mare she is very long backed and she just looks like she is just starting to get a belly. They are both due in April...

Also is it unusual for a mare to still be going into season? we have a almost 20 yr old mare and she is still in season. it has been pretty cool here in South Carolina. the past couple of nights, it has been in the high teens low 20's. but warming up in the day to around 35 or 40. Is that unusual? she is pastured with a young filly, but we have a gelding and a stud in another pasture away from them. Any advice woould be great. Thanks

Marianne
Posted From: 198.81.26.13
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that should be 6 mos. pregnant. She was ultra sounded at 4 mos and I was told that she was not pregnant. I have a difficult time believing this. She has not gained a lot of weight, but she is much heavier than she normally is. She has gained in her hindquarters, her barrel, and back, and her last ribs stick out a bit more. I thought I felt a baby move in her flank area, but it could just have been her muscles. I am having the vet out again to ultra sound a second time on the 29th. How big should she be at this time? She is a maiden 8 yr TB mare who is normally a hard keeper and on the skinny side.I will let you know what the doc says.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.252.51
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At six months they aren't showing very much usually. And it is very rare that you can feel a foal moving at that time in the flank area. When I first start feeling foal movement it is usually under the belly up by the udder area and it starts out as light flutters rather than a good solid movement and that's usually around 7 months.
I also have a TB mare that is a hard keeper and normally on the skinny side, but for some reason every winter she really starts to look heavy in the belly and I always wonder whether or not she is in foal. When I first bought her it was in July and she was quite thin. By January or so she started to look quite round and I had wondered if she was pregnant, because I bought her at an auction so I didn't have any information on whether she could have possibly been bred or not. But it turned out she wasn't in foal. We bred her this year and she absorbed the foal somewhere around 60 days of gestation, but she still is looking quite round. This year has just been a weird year I think.

outlawpaints
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone.!!! Merry Christmas.. I know i have been on here several times, but i guess the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. LOL. Anyway.. we covered our mares about May 30 - June 3 or 4th. about a month or so later both were confirmed in foal. I went online and did the little foal calculator thing and it said late april or may. is that right? I figured it would be around late mar early april. They have never came back into heat..

also we have a 20 year old mare that is still in season. is that unusual? how long could she be in season. would it be safe to breed her again? My mare has a long back and she doesn't look as big as the other, but the other is a maiden.. does that make a difference? our maiden looks huge. thanks!

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.243.95
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi outlawpaints,
If your last breed date was May 30, then you can expect anywhere from mid April to mid May as a foaling time. The approximate gestation is 340 days, but that's a definite approximate. Anything after day 320 is safe and they can go clear up to 400 days! I always start checking my mares really close at 300 days. I had a mare this year foal at day 323 and one year I had one that didn't foal until day 375. But honestly my experience has been that it is usually closer to day 350.
As for your mare that is still in season, yes I would say that is unusual, but just because she is showing signs of being in heat doesn't mean she is actually ovulating. I would consider having a breeding soundness exam done on her before trying to breed her back, just because it could save you a lot of time and money if it turns out that she just isn't ovulating any more at all.
I have noticed that long backed mares don't tend to show quite as much as the short backed mares. And more refined mares tend to show more than your bulky mares too.
Anyway, hope everyone had a good Christmas!

twhgait
Posted From: 69.23.219.143
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my vet was out today for my maiden's 7 month pneumabort shot and we discussed her size. He DOES NOT feel she is "showing" :-(; he thinks she's just fine, which is good of course. I thought for sure she is....I've owned her since she was a baby and I've seen her at her fattest and she's never looked like this!! No luck seeing/feeling the baby move again either. I'm beginning to question myself about the first time I thought I saw it move too. Oh well. One more month to go and then we are all down to the final 3 months!!!! P.S. I got a foaling kit for Christmas!

horselady
Posted From: 64.230.182.159
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Twhgait!

I had my vet out today too for my maiden's 7 month Rhino shot. He isnt familiar with this mare since I bought her in PA at the end of October, but he says since shes a good size paint 15.3 hands.. shes not looking pregnant to him. I showed him pictures of her off the horse for sale site and the thought she was a bit rounder after comparing.

My other mare got her 5 month Rhino today and I can say that she doesnt look any different than before she was pregnant. I guess the 7 month pregnant mare will start to show more soon as the foal is starting to really grow now.

My two mares are due May 4-12th, and June 26-July 1. My 7 month pregnant mare hasnt shown any movement yet. I keep checking her, but so far nothing. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US