SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How can I tell if my mare is pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » How can I tell if my mare is pregnant? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.252.137.112
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay well I bought this six year old paint mare in august and right before i bought her she had weaned a foal. One of my friends asked me if she was pregnant. She sed she could have been pasture bred after she had the foal which was before i got her and then i asked her old owner who had her when she had the other foal and he sed he didnt know, he also said the stallion could have gotten into the pasture with her but the lady i bought her from said she wasnt in foal. Now i am a little worried and not sure what to do.

How can I tell if my mares pregnant or not?

Cathy
Posted From: 67.129.136.122
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can take her to your vet and have her preg checked.

yvette Mercado (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 134.114.5.2
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am worried that my mare is pregnant, when we got her they said she could be because she was kept in a big herd of horses with one stallion. She started to fill with milk in her udder yesterday. But shes not fat , but her belly drops down. How can I tell? But we cant get her pregnancy tested.

yvette Mercado (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They dont do pregnancy testing where I live. And she doesnt approve of vets, and if we sadate her it may cause problems. Are there any signs? How can I tell?

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the vet cant come out youll just have to wait and see but that could put your mare at risk and you could possibly lose your foal.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10486
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I support Deena's observations. You should check this mare, as not checking could put her and the unborn foal (if there is one) at risk.

What country are you located in that they "don't do pregnancy testing"? There are blood assays that can be used to indicate pregnancy status available in some countries, but you will typically require a vet to draw the blood and submit the sample. Why do you not wish to sedate/tranquilise her? There is a far greater risk in not knowing if she is pregnant than there is in tranquilisation with a suiable tranquiliser.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have had a few nasty mares and if you set up a tie stall of some sort with several bales of straw behind the mare and someone with a twitch in front of the stall on the mare, it may be possible. This way you will be able to know if you need to get certian vaccinations at the right times to prevent disease or loss of the foal.A good equine vet that is comfortable with doing these procedures is helpful as well. They have been in these situations before and maybe can lend a few helpful suggestions.

Yvette (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF I USE A TWICTH I COULD LOSE MY BOND WITH MY MARE. AND I FEEL TWITCHES ARE VERY INAPPROPRIATE. BESIDES SHE IS ONLY THREE!!!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa!
A twitch used in the apprioatie fashion can be a very usefull tool.... Its only intention is to get the horse thinking about something else. Loose a bond with your mare... Never had any trouble loosing a bond with a animal because of a twitch... That is like a mother saying she can't hold her child while they are getting vaccinated for a deadly disease. It is important to have a vet evaluate your mare and her conditions for her health and the health of a baby. If you feel you will loose your bond, then have someone else do it. She obvisously doesn't have respect for humans as she does not "approve" of vets.

Terry O.
Weanling
Username: Ksfarmer

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Several years ago while my vet was giving my gelding his yearly vacinations my horse didn't want to sit still. The vet got upset and thought he had to use a twitch Sonny got more upset and almost wiped us all out. I thought that he was a trained Leppizaner he jumped straight up and kicked with the front and hind feet. Needless to say I won't ever try that again with any horse. Nobody got hurt, surprisingly but the vet did have to clean his shorts out.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I agree that you have to be carefull and look at the situation. The other posted has never made comment that she has had trouble with a twitch, the only thing that she has said is that the horse does not approve of vets. Well, everyone needs vet work done at some point in time and she sure dosne't have the respect of her horse to have a vet out.... Just trying to offer suggestions on how to handle a horse that needs vet care. I agree its silly to twitch a horse for vaccines. It can be done differntly, even if a horse is not sitting still-your gelding sounds as if he just was perfect and a vet expected him to be completley still.
This other poster is needing help knowing if her horse is bred..... A vet is needed.
I guess i'm just talking in circles so ....
We have successfully used a twitch and bales of straw to do preg checks and to flush a mare that needed it. sometimes they just don't want a hand up their bum.

You really need to know if a mare is pg so she and the foal can have proper care.

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Yvette,

Most vets if you let them know that your mare has problems with vets and they may need to twitch her, will usually bring someone they "trust" or work closely with and you don't even have to be around if you don't want to.

If you don't want to use a twitch you may not have another option. You could use something to knock the edge off, but then you would have to be able to get close enough to do so..

i wouldn't worry too much about it. you do need to find out if she is pregnant. If she is you will need to make sure she has certain shots and in the last couple of months you may need to up her feed. If you ip her feed and she is not pregnant you could possibly founder your horse, which of course is ireversible and you don't want that.

I would take the high road and let them twitch her long enough to giver her a sedative and then let it kick in and then you should be able to vaccinate for all the things you need.

Just my advice of course... hope it helps.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10494
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be far more serious damage to the bond if the mare dies because she was not pregnancy checked, and turned out to be, only to die as a result of undetected pregnancy and complications foaling.

Worse case scenario? Yup, sure. But it is possible.

If a twitch gets the job done, there will be far less damage than you would possibly think, and by not doing it, you are seriously compromising the well-being of the mare.

Note my observation that it is about "getting the job done" though. If it doesn't get the job done, then it's not worth doing it and another technique must be used...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US