SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare has come back into heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mare has come back into heat « Previous Next »

Cindy
Posted From: 64.114.210.17
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I had live covered this year. We teased her back to the stallion (from day 12-24 post cover)and she did not come back into heat. Was actually acting kind of studly around the other horses. I assumed all was well and was happy because I had been having a hard time getting her to catch via AI the last few tries.
On Sunday I wormed my mare as she was 121 days pregnant and I thought it would be safe to worm for the first time since she was bred. Monday she came back into heat. Possibly no correlation but thought I would mention it. Tues she is still showing heat signs.
I know mares can have hormone flashes but am I to assume she has slipped the foal and is no longer pregnant? Unfortunately I live a 8hr round trip from the nearest ultrasound machine and there is no large animal vet in my area. Only small animal that will do a large animal emergency if needed. I guess that is what I get for living in a small town in the middle of nowhere!
So I am pretty bummed out. Is there any hope she may possibly be still pregnant? I know nobody can answer this for sure without an ultrasound but just thought I would ask. Or am I just living in a dream world? I guess I will know in another 4 months of so if she starts looking pregnant or not. Sad enough I had thought she was already starting to look wider lower in her belly. Probably just wishful thinking....

outlawpaints
Posted From: 64.53.77.129
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cindy:

Hi! I am not an expert by any means but I just have some input... I had the same thing happen to me last year with one of our mares. She was 5 months along, small framed so she looked obviously pregnant, well about 2 weeks later she came into season, we asked the vet they said if she actually came into season she probably had lost the baby. did she accept another stallion or gelding? was she backing up to them? i know I have heard that sometimes their hormones make them do this... My mare was palpated later and she had indeed lost the foal....hope that is not the case with you....please have the vet palpate her if you get a chance and please let us know... good luck and god bless. i know it is a long time to wait for something like this, but it may be all you can do. we have two mares that were live covered at the first of June, 2004, hopefully all is well this time. we had one baby last year, but unfortunately we had to put him down he had some problems during birth and was a dummy foal... if you want to see pictures here is a link
http://community.webshots.com/user/outlawpaints101.

hope it helped sorry if you are no better than where you were. "Good Luck" andkeep us informed!

horselady
Posted From: 67.70.68.245
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a dummy foal? Never heard that term before.

Cindy
Posted From: 64.114.210.35
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the post outlawpaints. Unfortunately there is no vet here that can palpate. It would also be a 8hr round trip to the nearest large animal vet. So it looks like it will be a waiting game. If it was earlier in the year I would take her as there would have still been time to rebreed. Now it is too late. I did contact the former owner though and he said that she had shown heat cycles through previous pregnancies. He had even had the vet out to check once but she was still in foal.
I only have 4 mares at my place and no stallion. I could possibly haul her back to the stallion to see. She is definately showing heat in the paddock, squatting/peeing, winking etc but does it on her own, not around the other horses or backing up to them.
So it looks like it will be a waiting game. The stress is killing me though!!

Cindy
Posted From: 64.114.210.35
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your foal as well. So far I have had successful births (touch wood) and never had a mare slip a foal (until possibly now). I guess my luck was bound to run out sooner or later!

outlawpaints
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

horselady:

Hi! this is a term used when the foal is deprived of oxygen during the birthing process and it is unable to stand or nurse or may "wander" until it is too weak to nurse.. They look normal, but they can also have seizures andas i was told it's like their brain is hemorraghing (sp) . They are unable to live without extensive IV fluids and it can be costly, but some can make it.... ours was just too far gone. Did you see pictures? he was beautiful! only little baby on site.. he lived 3 days and then we put him down..

Cindy;
maybe since she hasn't actually been around other geldings or a stallion maybe it is just a hormone thing. Good Luck, but still keep us posted please. Thanks!

horselady
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi outlawpaints

Yes I looked at your site. Beautiful horses. You are living my dream!. I have one breeding stock paint (sorrel) in foal to a homozygous black and white ( known to throw brown/white) foals,(which will be our first foal ) and now I have a homozygous dark bay/white mare and am looking for a suitable stallion ( maybe homozygous for black and tobiano).. who knows what that would give me, but I am thinking possible dun, bay, who knows. Half the fun is trying to figure out what you might get! I have to admit I am a bit spooked when I read all the things that can go wrong. Both these mares are maidens... oh well, like everyone else, I will keep my fingers toes and eyes crossed and hope for the best.!

outlawpaints
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

horselady:

Thanks! I have loved horses all my life, but paints are my passion.. Our stallion is a great horse..... I can't wait to see what we get out of our stallion and palomino. we are really excited about this. yes that is half the fun of trying to figure out what you might get. then you have the fun of the waiting game!! There is so much that can and will go wrong. unfortunately. but then you have the times when everythingis great and you have a healthy baby and mama. That is when things are fun.... When is your mare due? our's are due around first of may to the middle of may... good Luck!

horselady
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi outlaw. My breeding stock is due July 1. It will be a Canada Day Baby, or, if late, Maybe a Civic Holiday baby LOL :-) I have seen the offspring of the black and white homo stud, all brown and white... and all loudly colored, so I am pretty sure that this foal will be the same. I am still looking for a nice stud for my new mare and so far no luck with anything close to home. I want to live cover her since she didnt catch last spring at the ranch where I bought her. Dont need the frustration and expense of AI on a maiden mare at this point.

Paints are also my passion. Blessed be all Paint Sisters !

outlawpaints
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats! let me know if you have a filly or a colt. will do the same for you. If the stallion is homozygous for black and white isn't it supposeed to throw color for 100% right? not 100% color for the black and white. right? Our stallions daddy is homozygous, but our stud is not... unfortunately... but can't wait to see what we are going to get out of our palomino. we have heard so many different things. Good luck with finding a stallion closer to home.. that is what we do..live cover. i know what you mean. my mare the bay and white has had 7 babies, but the palomino is a maiden and we dont have any clue of course on how she is at birthing. She is normally docile and is just a big luv bug, but since she has been pregnant she doesn't want you messing with her teats too much.. we try and touch them every day that way when the baby gets here maybe we wont have many problems. Good luck on your mares and let us know in July about that baby.. maybe she will have it on my birthday. July 5th LOL! Good luck again! that's right about Blessed be all paint sisters!

Cindy
Posted From: 209.53.84.65
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to update everyone. My mare continued to show periodic heat cycles throughout the last few months. She was continueing to get increasingly larger in size so I lived in hope that she was still in foal. This last week I got so excited because I could feel the foal kick, so she is still pregnant! I am so excited! Can't wait until she is due! Just wanted to share the news!

Kathy T
Posted From: 63.228.83.90
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy - My mare has also been showing heat cycles through her pregnancy (which she didn't even show much when I was breeding her). If you want to check for sure you could do a blood test that tests for estrone sulfate (a hormone that declines rapidly if there is fetal loss). The mare must be at least 100+ days in foal. Check out the website foalproof.com. If you are uncomfortable getting blood, maybe the small animal vet could help. P.S. this is a good thing to use in minis where palpation isn't an option.

Cindy
Posted From: 64.114.210.37
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathy, I will definately keep it in mind in the future. The foal has been kicking up a storm so I definately know she is in foal, she is due at the end of May. I am leasing her out to someone else this year but will keep the blood test in mind. Thanks!

Renee
Posted From: 203.34.9.250
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy..
Congrats, glad your mare is still in foal. I have a mare that does this every year. So did her dam and her granddam, its not so uncommon!! She runs with the stallion and although she shows heat, she always refuses him. They are the best of friends, and he just knows that there is no point in trying. Let us know what your foal is.. Have you read the topic "reproduction" in the "preg mare and new born foal" section?? Go in there and have a look at the tally that is going on. There is a bit of conversation about how your mare is carrying. The pattern seems to be falling that if your mare carries low then the resulted foal will be a colt, and mares that carry wide have fillies. I thought this was very interesting as it worked for all my mares. So also let us know how your mares are carrying and what they have!!!

Raven (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.228.211.176
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone!
I have been reading all the post and still unsure if my mare is pregnant or not? I have had the vet out numerous time to rectal palpate. He states she is not pregnant.I had bred her back in April and in June /05. On day 19 (of the first breeding) she did have one fetus there but the vet stated they were not viable, this was done with an ultrasound.And again on day 19 (second breeding) she had two fetus but both were not viable.My mare returned into season each and every month after this. Periodically I would have my vet palpate her to see. He would always say no she is not pregnant. It came time and 7 months from the first breeding she started to change in behavior and was filling out more. Again the vet came out and again no baby. Decided to use a blood test kit that works on the estrone sulfate levels. Thought for sure this would tell me. The first kit was inconclusive and the second kit tested positive. In the meantime my mare has gained 40 pounds, grew 8 inches in belly and looks pregnant. She is starting to bag up, not fully in the udders but just before the udders. Again, vet still insists that she is not pregnant even with the estrone sulfate test. He says that she is in false pregnancy,rectal palpatation does not lie, he can pick up the uterus and feel everything. She is normally a very easy going girl, but now is grumpy if you touch her in the flank area. I have been doing alot of research on this and still I'm not sure either she is or not? It has come down to having to send her blood and urine off to the test kits company so they can do some research and testing. Any suggesttions from anyone as to if they have had this happen? Or help? I just do not want to go out in to the barn one morning and find a foal there or find my mare had compications and died.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi, ive got a friend that had this similar problem, she had a 7 yr egyption arab, she was bred, and a month later she had the vet in to check if she was pregnant or not. the vet said she wasnt. but the mare didnt come back in heat, and wouldnt accept a stallion what so ever, at 7 months she started to bag up a little, and she well and truely looked pregnant, so she got the vet again, had another test done. negitive, so she asked for a blood test. negitive. and december 1st 05... she went to go feed and check on her, she was standing in the middle of the paddock, nursing a nice big foal! she called me, i went around, and was so happy for her, but then we got irritated that the vets insisted she wasnt prenant!!!!
as far as im concerned when things like this happens its sometimes good to just go with your gut feeling, unless it endangers yours, or your horses life!
my advice to you is to get another vet, and see what they can do for you, and if they tell you the same thing, then wait it out, keep a very close eye on her, and who knows! you could find a foal in your paddock!!

Bonnie Thompson
Neonate
Username: Bonnie_thompson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is in her 7th month. Wants to hang around with my gelding. Turns her rear to him and acts like she is in season. After reading some of the posts, sounds like some mares will do this. She is a big mare and showing low. My vet too far also, so just waiting to see a new baby!! Due in April. Anyone else having the same problem that hasn't posted?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US