SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Paint horses (pictures)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Paint horses (pictures) « Previous Next »

outlawpaints
Posted From: 64.53.77.129
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi! I just have a question about breeding.. we are new to the business of breeding and we want to do the best for our horses. This is our first babies. ( they are due first part of may 2005) we are really excited, but a little scared too.... I have heard some really great ideas and EXCELLENT suggestions. so... anyway here is my question (sorry it took me so long to get to it) We have the aplomino and white & the dark bay and white bred to our dark bay & white.. what color do you think we will get out of either? view our pictures and sign our guestbook if you like! here is the link
http://community.webshots.com/user/outlawpaints101
enjoy! Thanks!

Cathy
Posted From: 65.54.98.145
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the palomino/whiteXbay/white you can get
palomino,sorrel,black,bay, buckskin, or smoky black. All of these colors could be solid or paint. This is assuming none of them are homozygous for black, agouti, or tobiano.
bay/whiteXbay/white
black, bay,sorrel with the same assumptions as above. Cathy

outlawpaints
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi! thanks Cathy for the info.... sorry to sound so dumb, but what color is agouti? is it the smokey black? thanks!

Cathy
Posted From: 65.54.98.26
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You certainly don't sound dumb! Agouti is the gene that restricts black to the points as in the legs, mane, and tail. So it is the gene when present that makes a black horse bay.
Smokey black is a black horse with a cream gene. So a smokey black with the agouti gene is a buckskin. I hope this helps. :-) Cathy

outlawpaints
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cathy... in this business you never know... That is very helpful.... hope I have helped you...

equinefem
Posted From: 203.221.231.7
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a picture of a foal amongst your pics which shows characteristics of Tobero (Tobiano/overo mix) So this suggests to me that one of the parents may carry the overo gene.
The thing you need to be careful of in breeding paints is not to breed two horses together which both carry the overo gene as there is a chance the resulting offspring will receive one overo gene from each parent. If this happens the foal is a homozygous overo which is called a lethal white foal and dies a few hours after birth due to intestinal deformities.
There is a test to confirm the presence of the overo gene if you are in doubt

outlawpaints
Posted From: 206.74.62.160
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we bought the mare she was already pregnant. she was bred to a tobiano as well. Very god Bloodlines. But yes that is what i was told that the baby was a Tovero. The dark bay that was standing next to her was the mama. so I dont understand how we could have gotten a tovero. How do you get that if NEITHER parent was a tovero? Can a tobiano have a overo gene also? Thanks for any help equinefem.

Willow (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.96.124.113
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi i am looking at a Tobiano stud that I just love! He has a great disposition and my daughter can even ride him bareback. I am going to have him gelded but he is 15 yrs. Is this going to calm him alot more than he already is and I am having him boarded at a great boarding facilty. I just want him to not get into too much trouble being around mares after he is gelded. I really like him, thanks!}

melissa
Yearling
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,
We are just getting paints as well.We are not trying to sell any of our paints as of now. I have only two big mares right now. One is black and white tobiano mare then other is a skinny mare we just got that is Appaloosa mare. The appaloose mare my daughter wanted. My first paint colt was born 2005. you can see my paints on www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
My black and white tobiano mare is due this April from a solid bay breeding stock paint stud. We breed her to my husband stud to see what we could get from them.
Thanks MELISSA

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US