SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Trimesters and change of food

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Trimesters and change of food « Previous Next »

dorthyinoz
Posted From: 129.100.181.209
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when do the different trimesters occur? Also, what do you change a horses food to during the different trimesters? thanks

horselady
Posted From: 67.70.70.197
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been getting different opinions on food for my mare. She is 5 1/2 months pregnant and I just bought her. One breeder tells me not to supplement with anything until her last trimester, another tells me to feed blueseal Mare in Foal, and another tells me just to supplement her diet of grass and hay. Any other opinons or anyone know of a website that would give me that information?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.79
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally do not supplement the mare with anything until her last 3 months of pregnancy. And I will just supplement with a good quality 10% protein grain.
You don't need to worry about changing their feed to different things during the different phases of pregnancy. The only thing I change is the amount of feed. I also make sure they have access to a good trace mineral block.

horselady
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy;

OK thanks Sandy. I just wanted to be sure I wasnt depriving her of anything she should have. The lady who had her was giving her all kinds of stuff from epsom salts to calcium to extra E and selenium... I was thinking maybe I should be supplementing with something.

Liz Hardy
Posted From: 205.188.116.13
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horselady .. If your mare is in good wght I would not worry.. If she needs grain you could get by with a quality 10-14% OMelene..

Talk with your vet about what he recommends... I had my mare on 10% Omelene til she was about 7 months then changed her to 14 % and then to 16 % when she was about a month from delivery and kept her on 16% til the foal was weaned...

Each mare is different.. You need to meet the mare's and developing foals nutritional needs but you do not want a fat mare either... KNow this th fetus like any fetus is selfish it will have what it needs even at the expense of the mare

It is hard to advise anyone on feeding over a forum without seeing the mare's current condition..

If you are worried she may not be getting enough.. then have a disucssion with your vet..

Good luck on the coming baby

horselady
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Liz: She looks great. Shes fit and not too fat, or too thin. Shes my first horse and this will be my first baby, so I want to be sure I am doing the right things for her and the foal. My vet said she didnt need anything until the last 3 months but I wanted to check as others I know are supplementing once they know their mare is pregnant. Maybe I will compromise and feed her some good grain on top of the hay and see how she does. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US