SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pony mare cross warmblood horse breeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Pony mare cross warmblood horse breeding « Previous Next »

Sharon Vincent
Posted From: 81.138.63.17
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. My dilemma is that I have a fantastic 13.1hh pony mare, age 13, who possibly has Welsh or Arab somewhere in her breeding and has sadly been outgrown by my daughter. Our pony has such a wonderful temperament that we are considering breeding from her. Obviously I would like something bigger and I am unsure as to how big a stallion I can cross her with.
My friend is at a livery yard where they regularly cross a 12.2 pony with a 15.1 Arab stallion without any problems. I have seen a gorgeous 16.3 Trakehner stallion and wonder if this partnership is just too risky to even contemplate. I don't know whether our pony has had a foal in the past.
Has anyone had any experience of pony mare/larger stallion breeding? What was the outcome? Did the mare have any problems foaling? Should I set my sights a little lower?
I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Janet George
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I wouldn't use a stallion any more than 15.1 on this mare. Yes, people do put larger stallions on much smaller mares - and you hear about the successes. The people who have disasters don't talk about them! But ask any vet about foaling difficulties caused by the foal being too big!

Some people claim that the mare 'controls' the size of the foal - my vet would say, "I WISH!"

Sharon Vincent
Posted From: 81.133.133.232
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your advice. I will take it into consideration when I'm looking for a stallion.

Anonymous
Posted From: 68.71.37.174
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon,
I agree with Janet. Your friends may be using a 15.1 Arab on their pony mare without a problem, but Arabs tend to be much finer built than even other horses of the same height. While your mare is larger than your friends breeding her to a 16.3 warmblood could prove disasterous. Warmbloods tend to have substantial bone and if the foal inherits its build from the stud you could have problems. I once bought an 11 hand maiden pony mare for my daughter that was supposed to be open. I later found out that she had been running with a 15 hand TWH stud and by that time I had had her for several months and the pregnancy was too far advanced to do anything about. I spend many, many, many sleepless nights in the barn as she appeared near foaling. She eventually had the foal and had it on her own without need for assistance (I was there but not needed). The problem came when the foal was less than three months old and already taller than his dam and couldn't get down to nurse without getting on his knees like a baby goat. I would think a stud no larger that 15.2 with a good stout build would give you plenty of size in your foal. Good luck regardless.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US