SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Prgo mare's attiude?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Prgo mare's attiude? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.186.175.104
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of you have noticed a difference in your mare's attuide after being bred? My mare is ussually quite "hot" but since being bred about a month ago she has lost her hotness. I actually have had to wake her up! She's in great shape, maybe I should up her grain, that always seems to krank her:-)~

Pat Wiles
Neonate
Username: Tajsultani

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares go thru many hormone changes from day of birth till death, and of course pregnancy is like a roller coaster. She may not be hot now, but in a few months she could change, and change again. I had several mares that were normally friendly, but not lovey - half way thru they would get very standoffish, then become big lovers, then finally say - GO AWAY! It just depends on the mare, and being this is the first time, she is probably a little overwhelmed.

Anthie Booras
Neonate
Username: Tgbbeliever

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is being like that. She's even nicer when she's in heat. She's one mare I wouldn't mind having in heat all the time because she's so nice to ride then. My vet even noticed the difference in her when she is prego. She said she's much more loving, so sweet.

becky egbert
Neonate
Username: Cowgirlup

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could someone please explain why when i put my mare and stud together does she reject him she will buck and bite him could she be pregnant.........she has also coughed up a big attidude doesnt like anyone around her before we started to breed her she was so loving now she doesnt want to be bothered i go in her pen to clean it and she bites me before she would come up to me for lovings now she wants to kick me and bite

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10132
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mares reaction to the stallion could indicate that she is either pregnant or not in estrus ("heat"). If you want to avoid injury to either of the animals, you would be well-advised to seperate them and have the mares cycle status and/or pregnancy status checked.

(Message edited by Jos on June 04, 2005)

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read from other posts that behavioral changes are normal in pregnancy I suppose due to hormonal changes but just wondering if anyone else has experienced their mares becoming spooky--Our 10 year old mare is 5 months pregnant and is usually not afraid of anything-truly not spooking at anything, she has become very spooky almost dangerous to ride out of the arena because even a snap of a twig startles her. She bolted on me the other day and bucked(luckily I stayed on but the saddle horn got me good in the thigh)--I'm not even sure what scared her. This has come on very suddenly and I like to think it could be just a hormonal issue?? She also has kinda had an attitude lately too. I shooed her out of the barn yesterday and she ran around like a crazy wild thing bucking and galloping then would stop at the fence where I was at and turn her rump to me then run and buck some more.............not like her at all. She's usually very friendly and laid back--could it just be due to the pregnancy? There have been no changes in diet, pasture mates, riders, nothing else has changed for her

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She could be having some vision problems. Also I think that EPSM can cause big unusual behavior changes. Might be worth it to get a vet out, this sounds like more than hormonal or weather changes.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US