SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding Advice Wanted

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Breeding Advice Wanted « Previous Next »

HorseBreeder106
Posted From: 65.31.99.87
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello. I own a ranch. On my ranch there is a total 37 American Quarter Horses, 4 geldings, 23 mares, and 10 stallions. I keep each gender together in three seperate fields. (Just an imput). When it comes to breeding, I split the mares equaly. With one mare not bred. I match horses by color, hoping to get the same color. I don't know if i needed to say that, but it might help.

Well I have this one chestnut mare, age 1 1/2, that i have been trying to breed, but she doesn't seem to want to get pregnate. Shes acceptive to all things in the procedure, squeeling at King (the matched stallion), kicking out and being terribly difficult to keep still for King to mount.

My friend informed me that all these behaviors are natural, and that even if an injury occurs I should keep going. She also told me to get my mares to be the most productive they can, and get as many foals out of them as I can, I should start breeding at age 1 1/2. And that breeding brothers and sisters was best, well also mother son and father daughter. She said this was best for getting smart foals.

My other concren around breeding time is that the stallions start coming in with huge bloody wounds. My friend said that they came from my fencing. She also reccomended combining the mares and stallions for two monthes. She said that this will guarantee them becoming pregnate. So i tried this with my smallest field, so that they can breed faster. I put 5 of my stallions. Agro (name off of the crocodile hunter, cuz hes really mean), Red, Pelo, Harry, and Jet. All of them are really mean, she told me that i would get awesome foals by putting mean stallions in. All the mares arerelated. Green and Blue are Red's sister, Holly is Pelo and Jet's mom Dove, Hawk, Chick, and Aeropostale are Agro's daughters, and Dolly and Penny is Harry's daughter. These are the 10 mares I put in.

When I came out this morning with my friend. Pelo had a huge chunk of his butt gone. She said that a mare must of kicked him, and that that was normal.

I want to get the most and best and smartest babies I can out of my mares, so please give any advice you would like.

Anonymous
Posted From: 4.164.204.210
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will assume that this post is a prank. If not your friend is one of the studpidist horse people of all time with you being a close second.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.122
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say, that the whole time I was reading this post, my jaw was on the floor!
If there is really a "breeder" out there doing this, it is giving all of us other responsible breeders a very bad name and this person should not even OWN horses let alone be breeding them.

horselady
Posted From: 67.70.68.245
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Mare Question:

I just recently purchased my first mare. I don't want to get into the show ring or do any travelling as my kids are young and I have no horse trailer or truck etc. My mare is a homo tobiano and registered. What kind of stud should I consider breeding to that I could sell the foals young? One lady told me that breeding a good foal for halter bloodlines would enable me to sell the foals as weanlings or yearlings, but breeding for other disciplines such as dressage etc I would have to keep the foal for up to 2-3 years before selling.

Any ideas?

Anonymous
Posted From: 69.23.219.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horselady-
I guess I'm not clear on WHY you are breeding your mare?? Obviously it's not to keep her baby. Are you doing this simply because you have a mare? Horse breeding is very expensive and frustrating. If you can't plan to keep the baby until it sells, I wouldn't breed her at all. There are way too many horses out there and not enough homes. Getting a baby that surpasses it's sire and dam in quality and selling quickly are not guarenteed, no matter what you are breeding for. The odds of actually making money on the foal are probably even less then that. Sorry but I just wanted to provide you that input.

horselady
Posted From: 67.70.68.245
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Anonymous;

I am breeding my mare since she is a beauty and I would love to have a foal or two from her before we use her for mostly western pleasure riding. The reason I am not keeping the foals is because of space constraints. In Ontario where I live, we need to have 7 acres of grazing land PER horse. I already have one paint mare and now this one. See what I mean? This new mare has really good bloodlines going back to Go Man Go and Depth Charge, as well as some Zip and Leo lines It would be a shame not to carry on those lines with a suitable stud.

Bobby Ann Abbott
Posted From: 208.35.11.51
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

horselady; Even with the best bloodlines in the world it still doesn't give you any guarantees of a quick sell. I understand that you want to have a baby just to have a baby from her even though you have no intentions of keeping them but once you have a foal then you are going to have three horses and if you have to have 7 acres per horse that would translate to needed 21 acres of pasture once the baby is born. I also realize that your mare has good bloodlines but also note that there are alot of horses that have the same bloodlines that can carry on those lines. Breeding for a foal is not a way to make a quick profit.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US