SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Caslicks out but still small opening..

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Caslicks out but still small opening.. « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who is due NOW, she is roughly 345 days. Other than a bag forming, she is showing no obvious signs of impending birth. I have acouple of questions... I had her casliks removed last week by her repro vet. I happened to be comparing the vaginal opening size she now has with that of my maiden unpreg mare and the unpreg. mare has a vaginal opening nearly TWICE the length of the preg. mare. Could my vet have not opened her up enough? Should I contact her to come back out to have a look?

Also, my vet started her on Domperidome last week also to induce milk because she had no bag whatsoever, which did come 4 days later. Does anyone have expereince using this drug and is it harmful in any way? She has her on it daily until the foal is born to ensure she keeps producing milk. This mare has not had any fescue for 90 days, btw.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jos
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have concerns about the length of the opening after the Caslick's was removed, you should contact your vet. It is really impossible to comment on it from an "arm's length"...!

The most important thing to be aware of with regards to Domperidone is that you will be unlikely to see good colostrum development, so it is essential that you have either a commercial IgG supplement or frozen colostrum on hand to give to the foal in the first 12 hours following birth. This information by the way is by means of personal communication with researchers at Clemson University wheere most of the research has been done on Domperidone and fescue toxicity.

Anonymous
Posted From: 216.78.63.154
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thanks alot for your info. I have learned alot from this board, particularly from you!

When you say the "development of colostrum" being hard to see, do you mean the waxing up and dripping before birth? So far, I have not seen either of these, just a bag that has developed but nothing can be expelled from it. I plan to have my vet out the next day after birth to check the colostrum levels and have a general foal check.

I contacted her today about the casliks question and she says it is possible for some skin to regrow over but it should be a thin layer and not to worry about it. I am going to have to take her word on that. But can you tell me, as a general rule, about how many inches of an opening should a mare have to allow adequate foal passage?

Thank you for your info and time.

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.222.137.145
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, does it look like is open similarly close to the anus as the other mare, or is there a significant space between the anus and the top of teh vaginal opening? I realized that my mare's caslicks was not fully opened last year shortly before she delivered. I called the vet, who "pooh-poohed" it, said it was fine and she consequently had a labial tear during delivery. As she was pushing, you could see the skin pulling where teh caslicks was not opened, it just gave laterally/diagonally before she tore through the caslicks. It was horrible. I would definitely have your vet out to check if you have any doubt as to whether she is fully opened or not.

Joe Burke
Neonate
Username: Joe_b

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I know its not relative but do you know any place that runs a course on scanning horses as I have just qualified as an AI technician I would love some help as I am trying to find such a course for some time now

Thank you for reading
Joe B

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US