SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden mare with swelling in bag

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Maiden mare with swelling in bag « Previous Next »

Judy
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 6 yo Hann mare has puffiness and tightness in the bag and on the stomach just in front of the bag occasionally. It goes down after work. The vet has said that it's nothing to worry about, just wash daily with antibacterial soap. This helps most of the time but it still flares up.

What could be causing this?

Cinder
Posted From: 161.184.182.178
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is known as edema. Some mares get it, some don't. I no expert on this but excersizing does make it go down. It's not anything to get worried about.

Anonymous

Posted From: 209.214.105.67
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 8 yr. old open mare seems to have a Mastitis this morning in one of her teets. The right side is huge....as if she were a nursing mare with Mastitis. The area is very tight and hot. I applied DMSO to the area to aid with swelling. Do you know of anything else that can be done to aid with her discomfort and swelling? Should I give her 1 g of Bute as well?

Debbie
Shelby County

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she has mastitis she will probably need antibiotics. Don't fool with it too long, if there is heat, sweelling,discomfort. Red streaking in the skin (if you can see it). All signs of infection. Contact your vet.

KT (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.33.110.167
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a similar question regarding mammary development. I have a 20yr old mare (2 previous foals) that I tried to bred last year and she aborted at about 7 months. I'm trying to breed again this year but her cycles have been irregular. On one cycle 2 months ago she was bred AI but was open at 17 day U/S. She finally came in heat last week and a culture/cytology was done early (came back clean) but there was anechoic uterine fluid 3 days later so we decided to wait until next heat to breed. So finally here is my question : since her abortion, she has had more than normal mammary development - not huge or hot and painful but definately not what they were before breeding last year. An this week (the week following her estrus) the mammary glands are even more developed (can actually express watery milk). This enlargement is definately the mammary glands and not edema or fat which I've seen in some mares in front of the mammary glands. I'm wondering if she has some hormonal issues and if so, what could I test her for? Thanks - breeding mares is not for the faint of heart....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US