SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare looks heavy bellied at 6 1/2 months

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mare looks heavy bellied at 6 1/2 months « Previous Next »

S Smith
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare seems really heavy around her middle already at only 6 1/2 months pregnant. She normally is pretty round bellied, but she just seems bigger to me. She is bred to a bigger stud than I have bred her to before. Could she just be carrying a really large foal?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare looked really big at that stage too, but it was mostly just a hay belly. If you do a body condition scoring and check her for fat deposits in other areas such as her neck topline, around her withers, at her sides and around her tail head, you may find that she has a higher body fat than you thought. Since your mare is normally round bellied, she is probably just a little chubby. Right now the foal is very small, and she wouldn't really be showing very much at all. Every mare is different, and some will show a lot as they get closer to their due date, while others won't show nearly as much.
Mares will only carry the size of foal that can fit in their reproductive tract. The foal won't get any bigger than that, and it is all genetic- he will make up for an lack of size after he is on the ground- if he is smaller.

Freehold
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares carry a lot of water weight. I had a amre that came in from Alberta already in foal. I thought she was due in March she was so huge. It turned out that she was due in June/July. She was easily the biggest mare (belly-wise) I have ever had - I was worried that there were twins in there. In the end she foaled a healthy, normal sized baby and LOTS of water :p How many foals has you mare had? Sometimes when they have had several they may carry bigger.

S Smith
Posted From: 65.118.224.162
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Freehold - Thanks for your posts. This will be the 11th foal for my mare, so she is a very seasoned mare. She is 323 days today. Her bag is heavy with milk, but no waxing yet. She is very soft around her tail. She has always dripped milk just prior to foaling, so I'm waiting for that sign. She is extremely large!

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.250.190.109
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mare is in here 8 1/2 month and has minimal showing. Sometimes I get nervous but believe everything is alright through my Vet.

Jennifer Myers
Neonate
Username: J2324

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two mares due a week apart from each other.My 14.2h mare who has had 4 babys already looks like a house , And my 15.1h maden mare is hardly showing . But you can feel the babys kicking.They are not due till july.Should my seasoned mare be showing that big already.She looks like she could foal tomarrow shes so big.

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jennifer,
Your more seasoned mare will show sooner because she has had several foals and of course since the maiden is a maiden she holds her figure more too. Not to mention the fact that the 14.2 hd mare is shorter looks more wide.

Have you had them US? makes sure she does not have twins in there...

I'm sure she will be fine..

Good Luck~!

SDS
Neonate
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares looks like a house the day after she gets bred,but she has had 9 foals,number 10 is due in 2 weeks,she is 14 hands and I swear all of 4 feet wide.Well actually I think her back is as wide as a couch,

Karen M. Whitaker
Neonate
Username: Karenw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 16 year old arabian mare that I bred last August. The vet didn't think she had settled, but now I'm not so sure. She's looking like she might be in foal after all. It's March 27th, so she would be about 7 months along. I had the vet out again today to palpate her, and she's not so convinced that she's not pregnant either, although she still could not actually feel the foal. Layla was tense and the vet said her muscles could have moved the foal forward out of reach. Don't know what to think. Could I see any movement as yet? And can a pregnancy still be missed this far along? Sometimes I look at her and she looks kind of lopsided, so I'm sure she is, but then other times she doesn't. HELP!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US