SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lighting Questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Lighting Questions « Previous Next »

kho-magic
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who is already going into winter mode. We bred her this year but she didn't settle, we have decided that she has clearance issues. I plan to re-breed next year and would like to get an earlier start in case we have problems again. I read where you can do lights and know about the method where you start them in Nov. or Dec. by adding enough light to keep it light until aprox. 11 pm. I also saw something about adding 1 hour of light about 8 hours after dark. I am wondering if anyone has tried this and if they had success with it. My mare is at a public stable and if I set a timer I'm afraid that it will be turned off accidently. I think if I could add the 1 hour later that it would have less chance of being turned off as no one would be in the barn at that hour to turn it off :-) But this mare is one who really doesn't read the book so I worry about that also. (You can tell this as she is already well into winter mode and it's only Sep. Took to vet on Sat 9/20 ovaries are shrinking fast and uterus is size of garden hose.)

Thanks for any info in advance.

Michelle

Viva Medina
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the light on a time in a public stable also. I duct taped the front so it could not be changed and had let everyone know what I was doing. It worked. Timer set to go on before dark and on until 11:00. Mare took on one dose of frozen in January. Good luck.

lindond
Posted From: 209.74.193.78
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Pacific NW where it is dark and dreary well into spring. I started my mare under lights in mid-January, faithfully for 16 hours a day. Not only did she not respond to the lights by not coming into season early, she did not get pregnant in three tries. We couldn't even tell from her behavior or outward physical signs that she was in heat. (The spring before, she was quite obvious about it.) I am concerned that the lights threw off her entire system. I am not going to try them again. Just food for thought.

Jos
Posted From: 165.121.198.216
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes 60-90 days after commencement of the lighting program before estrus will occur, so starting a mare under lights in January will not hasten the onset of early cyclicity, as you would be expecting the mare to start to show signs of transitional phase by April anyway...

There would also be no reason that the lighting program would affect her estrus behaviour. Note that not all mares wil display estrus in the absence of a stimulus (usually a stallion), and indeed some will not even show in the presence of such a stimulus! Neither will behaviours necessarily be the same from year to year, or even from stimulus to stimulus (i.e. teasing with one stallion will elicit a response, while with another it will not).

Other questions require answering before one should jump to erroneous conclusions about the mare not getting pregnant as a result of the lighting program!
  • What did her pre-breeding soundness examination show?
  • What did the culture and cytology show?
  • Was there in fact a cytology smear performed and did the results support the findings of the culture? (Review the article on this site about the importance of a culture and cytology for more information)
  • Was the semen viable and the stallion fertile?
  • Was the timing of the breeding suitable?
  • Was there an ovulation confirmed?
  • Were there any post-breeding delayed uterine clearance issues?
  • If so, were they treated properly?
You see the list of other variable factors (and we could add more if we worked at it!), and to blame the failure on a protocol that has been proven successful and without problems for many years is perhaps a little rash...

Now, having said that, not all mares respond to a lighting program by producing an earlier estrus, but as yours was started so late, the response is not really an issue here - and if you bred her on 3 cycles, then obviously she was cycling.

Just trying to control yet another Internet panic attack here!! :-)

amandaco
Posted From: 62.53.105.250
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am breeding my mare next spring shes going in march
im starting light on december 1st.
however my stable is of wooden construction and i am thinking i could use a lesuire battery and one of those long tubular lights in her stable? it would prob have to stay in all night. she goes out at about 6am anyway so she would get some hours of darkness!
am i right in thinking a 100-200watt light is best? does anyone know if a tubular light would be ok and if there is a better way i can light up her box?
thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US