Is it possible for a vet to miss a pregnancy by ultrasound at either day 15 or 17 post cover ?
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:30 pm:
Yes, it is possible. But if the vet was unable to detect a pregnancy, they should have been able to detect whether or not the mare was ready to cycle again, because at that time she should be ready to come back into heat. So, if your vet did not detect a pregnancy, and was able to tell you at the same time that the mare was ready to cycle, then you can be pretty sure that the mare isn't pregnant. But if the vet did not detect pregnancy and also did not detect that the mare was ready to cycle again, then I'd wait til about day 21 or so and u/s again, by then the vesicle should be definitley visible. My vet usually likes to wait until day 20 before doing a u/s.
In my situation the vet said the mare wasn't pregnant and that she would ovulate later that week--we took her back to the stud but she never came back into heat. Had her ultra sound again by another vet and she was confirmed 30 days pregnant--so...............the first vet missed the pregnancy and said she was going to ovulate. So it is possible for them to miss it
yes, my mare was ultrasounded at 16days post breeding. I was told that she was not pregnant, but he didnt see any reason why she wouldnt have settled, and to try again next heat. It was late in the season, so i left it. Exactly 338 days from the date she was bred, we had a foal on the ground. She was a dead giveaway from three months before hand as she just doubled in size. It is very possible that the vet missed it.
Well lets really hope in my case a Vet can miss and U/S. I have an (AI) TB mare 12 yrs old. We had one filly in 2003. Now 2005 and still open. A/I three times 2004, twice this year with a bout of yeast infection in between (how do they contact a yeast infection). At day 18 no embryo, vet noted may be coming back into heat. I decided to wait till mare showed signs of heat and would breed one more time. Nothing, almost 60 days post breeding and no signs of heat (and this mare shows it well). The attitude of this mare has changed since A/I. A different Vet is coming out to U/S for preg to satisfy my peace of mind, put in a caslix and wait till next year.
I had my TB mare ultrasounded at 16 days post breeding, vet said she had a 35 follicle on one ovary and to start teasing her with the stallion. We teased her that night and she was definitely saying no. Waited a day, teased again, nothing. Waited two days, teased again, still nothing. Today is 44 days since her last breeding, I just performed a PregnaMare test on her today and it came back positive for pregnant. My vet has never missed a 16 day pregnancy on ultrasound before, but this time he obviously did. I hope you have good results too
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: