SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Fescue Toxicity and Breeding problems

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Fescue Toxicity and Breeding problems « Previous Next »

Tammy
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is about Fescue toxicity on the other side of the breeding equation. So much is published about its' affects on parturition.

My 9 year old mare has had one foal at five years old with no complications. She was bred by AI with fresh semen and caught the first try in early September 1998. She foaled without complication. She was not on fescue grass during that breeding season. Now I am rebreeding her as a 9 year old with shipped cooled semen from a stallion with an excellent shipped semen record. Vet says her reproductive system looks great. She was cultured and results were negative during that heat cycle. We had her ultrasounded on a Friday she was at 4.2cm and we inseminated her with shipped semen the next morning. 6 hours later she was ultrasounded and the follicle was starting to break up (i.e. ovulation). Well she did not catch. 21 days no pregnancy.

My concern is my mare has been grazing fescue all summer. I have read that endophtye toxin can interfere with fertility but I have not been able to find much literature about it to decide how much of a factor it can play in breeding. My vet doesn't have much to say about the issue so she isn't much help with my concern.

The problem is (as you know) is very expensive to AI. I do not want to waste money trying to get her in foal if my chances are slim. If I wait till next spring I can remove her from the fescue for 60 days prior to breeding. It is to late in the season to try that now. I was hoping to give it one more shot, but again I do not want to waste money.

Sorry to be so long winded. Hope someone has some insight.

Kim Winter
Weanling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - Im sorry, I dont have any info for you, rather I am interested myself in a fasion about this topic.

I know this was originally posted a long time ago but I have a foal due in May and have recently moved to a field that I believe is fescue grass - How worried should I be about fescue? and How easy/expensive is it to test the grass for endophyte?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Demski
Neonate
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No answers, but I too have concerns about fescue grasses and how it may or may not affect breeding. We have some fescue grasses on the property, but it never gets long and I have been informed that it is the longer grass that can cause a problem.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi, here is a link to the university of kentucky website and a artical regarding fescue grass and its problems . Hope this helps Kim

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/id/id144/id144.htm

Jennifer Demski
Neonate
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,

That is a pretty good article. Now I will be stressing this spring when it comes time to turn them back out! I let them graze in my front yard, and I know lots of landscape mixes have fescue grasses. No more trips to the front yard for her!

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, does anyone have a picture of fescue so that I can see what it looks like? Also, does it grow in Western Montana?
Thanks for any info.
Joanna

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanna I hope this helps
http://www.hawthornevalleyfarm.com/fep/grass%20bitmap/Tall%20Fescue.jpg

E Watkins
Neonate
Username: Evie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say if you have any doubt about your hay or pasture and you have a pregnant mare, get her off of it 90 days prior to foaling. A good friend of mine lost a beautiful grulla filly last year because of the fescue that her mare grazed on during the fall. (the foal was born in October) Since the results are so tragic, I would think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck with your foal!

Ev

Kim Winter
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kim - Yes that article was very helpful- The picture that deena has posted however is not what I have in my field that was concerning me so maybe I dont need to be worrying...
Mine is more like clumps of broad green grass. Ill see if I cant get a photo to show you instead of trying to describe it -but does that sound like fescue? I thought there were more than one type of it, is it only the tall fescue that causes problems?
Unfortunately Ev I dont have a sandschool to turn her out into with hay and I dont have any other grazing! I cant stable her for the whole three months!

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have managed to get a photo of what was in my field - would somebody be able to tell me, does this look like fescue?

http://photobucket.com/albums/c172/clafairy/?sc=1

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone...?

Jenn
Neonate
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is hard to tell from a picture. I would recomend going to Google and doing a search on fescue. I did not long ago and it brought up websites from seed producers that had pictures and desriptions. I hope this can help.

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.113
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does not look like fescue to me but I am no expert

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys - I know what you mean Jen - I did a search too and I really couldnt tell if that grass looked like my grass! Who is it that does the testing for endophytes? Its not the vets is it? Sounds like a stupid question I know! but I had no idea about fescue before I saw it on here!

Jenn
Neonate
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would depend on where you live. If you have an Agricultural College somewhere reasonably close they would probably do the testing. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No thats great thanks - there is an agricultural College about 40mins from here where I used to take my mare for some courses I was doing. I can give them a call and see if they do it. Thanks again jenn

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes you will have a extension office for the agricultural dept in your area, alot of times it is tied into your local 4-H program. Sometimes located in your county city building in the main town.They can help identify things of this nature and help you out. Good with bugs too !

Magic1
Neonate
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a picture of tall fescue that I have on my desktop to remind myself what it looks like. I don't know how to put it on this site, but if anyone wants to email me I can send the picture to them.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am unsure what tall fescue is too, and wonder if my horse are eating it. Their hay comes off a relative new field along a road, there is very tall grass that grows along the road and regrows in the hay fields, when it seed out it looks a lot like the grasses in our hay field (not sure if its the timothy or broam that it looks like, feathery top)
i hope that is not fescue! does it grow in MInnesota?
Majic1 i would like to see your photo of it.
kekenina@frontiernet.net
thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US