SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When do "normal" heat cycles begin in a filly?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » When do "normal" heat cycles begin in a filly? « Previous Next »

Sandy
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a filly that just officially turned 2 in June and she had her first heat cycle the beginning of the month of June. She was accidentally covered by my young stud just once that I saw,(I didn't know she was in heat until I saw him breeding her) and I immediately removed her from the pasture. She has not shown signs of heat since and it has been over 30 days.
So, what I'm wondering is: Do fillies cycle regularly after their first heat or is it less regular until they are older? I do intend to have her checked for pregnancy, but for now, I just need to know whether or not she should be having regular cycles.

Sandy
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone out there must have an idea of when normal cycles begin in a filly. I am still waiting for someone to give me some kind of an idea.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that most horses go through adolescence from 12 - 15 mos. I have however heard of filly's getting pregnant as early as 10 - 11 mos. and some not starting to cycle until they are close to 18 mos.

Sandy
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But my question is: After a 24mo. old filly does begin cycling, are the cycles regular after the first one? Or are they more sporadic?

kho_magic
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy, this is exactly why fillies and colts need to be in separate pens after weaning. I remember my now 10 year old mare's first cycle being when she was about 14 months old. They can and do get in foal when they are two and the ones you don't want in foal usually are the ones who end up that way. I would suggest you have her checked so that if she is in foal you can decide what to do about it she is pretty young at two to be expected (mentally) to be a mom when she is three.

Sandy
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, believe me, I know that fillies can and do get in foal at 24 mos. This was this filly's very first heat cycle ever, so that's why I was wondering if her cycles would be every 20 days or so after the VERY FIRST heat cycle? Or does it take a couple of months after their first heat cycle to beging cycling on a regular basis?

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I can't help you there. When my youngest filly started cycling, she was like clockwork, but that doesn't mean all fillies are that way. If you can relate horses to humans, then I'd say yes it's possible for them to have erratic cycles. But in all honesty, I don't know for sure. Sorry.

Anonymous
Posted From: 216.255.51.32
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It only takes once. Your filly sounds pregnant.

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.169.88
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it turns out that the filly did not get pregnant! Thank goodness. So, now that she is a 3 year old this year, she will be bred.
I do have to say though, that I never did see her come into heat again all through last year after that first cycle. And I haven't seen her come into heat yet this year either. But, she is a miniature horse, and if she were pregnant, I think I'd know it by now, considering she would be due in about 6 weeks. I tried to have her palped last year to find out for sure, but the vet said that she was just too small and couldn't do it.

cindycopeland
Posted From: 148.78.249.32
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm a newbie here..........saw your post on a filly cycling. i have a coming 2 yr old (july 2004) friesian/tb filly who my trainer is telling me to breed now. she claims that in germany they breed the 2 yr old warmbloods all the time. i only have experience breeding my mare who was 9 for her first foal and then 13 for her second. i'd appreciate any info provided as this sounds too young to me to breed a filly.- cindy

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.166
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,
Yes, there are definitely a lot of breeders who will tell you that there is nothing wrong with breeding a filly at the age of 2.
I personally do not breed them until they are at least 3.
You have to remember that at 2 years, they are still developing and growing. To get them pregnant at that age can hurt their own development, plus I don't think they're mentally ready for it either.
I think at 2yrs. is when you should be training your horse for riding. Get a good year's worth of training and riding on them, then worry about breeding them after that. Unless of course you just want your filly to be a brood mare and have no intentions of ever having her trained to saddle. But even then, I wouldn't breed until at least the age of 3.
I guess you could kind of compare it to human females. Yes, they are capable of becoming pregnant at say 11 or 12, but would you want them to? Are their bodies and minds ready for that? I think it's the same for a horse.
I would tell your trainer to just worry about actually training your horse instead of worrying about you getting her bred right now.
If you think your horse is too young, then you should do what you feel is right by your horse, not what someone else is telling you they do in Germany!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US