SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How to extract and feeze semen?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » How to extract and feeze semen? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to find out what the process is to extract and the freeze semen. The stallion we want to use is getting fixed this tuesday (1/02/01), so we need to get this taken care of this weekend. There is no Vet around here that knows anything about this. Could this be something we could tackle ourselves? We would very much like to get this done and can't wait very long, it does need to be done this weekend. Thanks, for any help you can give us. Thank you, "Desperate in Sebring, FL."

Jos
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cannot do this yourselves.

Processing and freezing semen requires a lot of specialized equipment, knowlege and supplies. The most basic equipment alone will cost you about $10,000

There are several articles about frozen semen in the "articles" section of this site. One article in particular that outlines the process can be seen by clicking here.

I would suggest that if you are serious about freezing your horses semen, you postpone the castration and contact a business that specializes in the freezing of equine semen.

Good luck!

Amanda Hewitt (203.166.85.253)
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi There,

I am a pony breeder in Australia & considering having semen collected/frozen from one of my colts to send overseas.

What is the earliest age semen can can be collected/frozen from a colt.

My vet told me he wouldn't bother collecting from a 2yo, but to wait till he is 3.

Rhonda Curfman (209.240.29.157)
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes it cost 10,000? We have a freind that already has a cyro contrainer that we can use. Is this what cosT????

Jos (142.177.112.44)
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda:

Theoretically one could collect and freeze semen from a colt as soon as he is producing sperm, but it would not be very cost effective as you will get a small number of straws, and yet the price will be the same as if he were left a couple of years and his sperm count increased (with the result that he will produce a greater number of insemination doses per ejaculate).

As most freezing businesses will charge by the ejaculate frozen rather than the straw, you can of course see the sense in waiting!

Jos (142.177.112.44)
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda:

You will require the collection equipment (cost up to $2000) if you have not already got it, and then in addition:

• Suitable centrifuge: $2000
  • Suitable microscope: $400
  • Sperm counter: $2000
  • Other misc. Lab equipment $3000 (see here)
  • Straws and extender: $100 per freeze

And then if you do not have the nitrogen storage and shipping tanks you should plan on an additional $1500 for those.

And remember that simply having the equipment will not mean that you can get a successful freeze! There is the individual stallion's response to be considered, and the fact that handling the semen for freezing is not exactly the same as handling it for cooled transport, as any human "insult" in the handling will be significantly magnified in the post-thaw fertility rates.

rhonda curfman (209.240.29.157)
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the quick response, I am taking the reproduction course next weekend, so I'm sure I'll learn allot more on it there. I was just curious on the cost. I know there is allot that goes into it. We have allot of the equipment now, I guess sometimes we worry that if you do not teach your stud to mount the phamtom mare and no mare in heat to tese, what do you do??? :) So freezing was what we were thinking.

Janet Schank (65.193.106.66)
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, could you further elaborate on suitable centrifuges?

I've read in your articles that the centrifuge needed for frozen semen should take the 50ml centrifuge tubes. Is that the only requirement that I should worry about when shopping for a centrifuge? What about max RPMs?

When looking at used centrifuge units the seller is often ignorant as to the size of tubes that the centrifuge will handle. I've read that the 50ml tubes require a 30mm opening so I've been asking sellers to tell me the hole diameter in an attempt to determine if it is what I want.

Do you have other suggestions on questions that I should raise with the seller?

Thanks,
Janet

Jos (142.177.114.122)
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A centrifuge can be quite basic, or advanced, as you wish. Obviously the more advanced, the more expensive....

We prefer the "bucket" centrifuge, although I did use an angle rotor for many years with success, and know of other leaders in the industry who still do.

A gauge that gives RPM is very nice to have, as it will allow you to calculate the G-force that you are using (the calculation for this is available in the centrifuge article page on this site. Without the gauge, you will have to "play" more to get the right rate for your stallion.

Maximum RPM's are not really an issue, as you will be spinning comparatively slowly. We usually use the second or third setting on a ten setting centrifuge for example.

A brake is redundant - don't use it. It causes the sperm to bang their heads, which they don't like!

I would ask the seller how the balance of the unit is. If the centrifuge is out of balance, it will burn out the motor quickly. This can be determined by running the centrifuge without any significant vibrations or wobbling occuring.

Good luck!

Dennis W. Gardner (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.100.137
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me pick up on the discussion of freezing. I have a lab and collect and ship fresh cooled semen. Can you outline the addition equipment I need to freeze and suggest a source to purchase from.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10428
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMV-USA will be able to provide you with the requisite equipment such as is listed above. They also have a freezing section on their web site.

TXDragonfly
Neonate
Username: Txdragonfly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 4 year old stallion that I am considering on gelding him, he may make a better show horse if gleded, but its a big maybe. His bloodlines are awsome which is why he has yet to be gelded, I believe a trainer I sent him to bred him as a two year old without my knowledge. Anyhow, what is the process of collecting, and who is equipped to do it? Are there companies that will come to my place or is it best to take him to a facility to be collected? Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please check out the articles section of this web site, where there are several articles about semen collection.

While there are companies like ourselves that will come to your facility to perform collections, you have to be set up to do the collections there (e.g. have a breeding mount). If you are not set up, then it is better to bring the stallion to facility such as we have.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US