SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

CEM testing for export Q?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » CEM testing for export Q? « Previous Next »

Sarah Casey
Neonate
Username: Waltzinghorsefarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a stallion with an interested mare owner in Australia. Fortunately, there is a repro vet just down the road that already has the certification for the testing of stallions that will have semen exported. I talked to the vet yesterday about the testing process for CEM and I realize that it could take several weeks-months, depending on a variety of factors.

Does anyone have any experience going through this process and how long it took to successfully complete? Costs? (I know that cost can vary greatly)

Also, is the CEM testing a one time thing, meaning once we do it and freeze the semen for later use, we should not have to do it again? The vet said that the stallion cannot cover mares...I assumed that means he cannot cover mares only during the testing period and up until the semen for freezing is collected, but after that process is done he can again?

Thanks for any input. I'm a newbie to the breeding business, although I have done a lot of live cover work for friends over the years.

Sarah Casey
Neonate
Username: Waltzinghorsefarm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, when breeders go through this process for the first time, do they account for all these expenses in the fee for the mare owner, or do they view this as a 'start up' cost?

I had just assumed that it would be considered a start up cost, but it seems that the costs would be astronomical and it only makes sense to try and regain the losses somewhere in the stud fee or collection costs charged to the buyer.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10484
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CEM testing for semen export to Australia is not that complicated, and shouldn't take too long. Here is the applicable regulation from the AQIS site:

7. Taylorella asinigenitalis:

Commencing at least 7 days after entering the approved collection centre, the donor stallion and any teaser mares used, were tested, with negative results, for Taylorellaasinigenitalisby culture of swabs, collected on 3 occasions at intervals of 5 to 9 days, taken from:
  • donors: the penile sheath, the urethra and the urethral sinus and, if applicable,
  • teaser mares: the clitoral fossa including the clitoral sinuses, and on one occasion from the endometrium of each teaser mare whilst in oestrus.
To review all of the regulations concerning shipment of semen from the USA to Australia, go to the AQIS page on the subject. For those interested in semen export to Australia from a country other than the USA, go to this page.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US