SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Tank Quality

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » Tank Quality « Previous Next »

Sarah Kucma
Neonate
Username: Csf_farm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have stopped breeding Hanoverians for a couple of years, but when we start up again I will be using frozen semen and doing it myself. I have recently come across a used semen storage tank and I am wondering if it would suit my purposes. Can tanks sit unused for a couple of years without losing any of their usefulness? The tank is an MVE SC 33/32 and is about 10 years old. It has had one owner and they say it is still in excellent condition. I will have to purchase sight unseen so are there any questions that I should be asking them?

Thank you for your help.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3419
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nitrogen tanks are a big vacuum flask. As long as the vacuum is intact, all is fine - the vacuum provides the insulation. If the vacuum seal is broken for any reason (damage, wear, etc.) then the vacuum will be lost and the nitrogen will boil off very quickly - literally a matter of hours in some cases. This can happen with any tank, but obviously the risk becomes greater the older the tank.

If you are going to be using a tank for long-term primary storage - especially of a significant number of straws - then for the sake of the savings in buying a used tank vs. a new tank - lost semen vs. OK semen - is probably not worth it.

Are you sure it's a 33/32? I suspect it may be an SC 33/26. This is a good mid-size tank, although it might be a bit more than you require if you are looking at only a few doses of semen and buying a new tank. If that is the case, we recommend the XC MILLENIUM 20 which currently retails for $535 - freight within the US included - from the company linked below (SemenTanks.com), which we have found to be one of the cheapest and best.

Sarah Kucma
Neonate
Username: Csf_farm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos,

Thanks for all the info. :-) It's definitely a 33/32 as I have seen photos of it. How can you tell if the vacuum seal is broken? Can a tank sit in storage not being used for a couple of years without creating any problems? Also, the tank was used to store bovine semen. Will it require any kind of changes/cleaning to make it suitable for equine semen?

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a new one, it is not worth the gamble. They are warranteed for only 5 yrs for a reason.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will be able to tell that the vacuum seal is not good if, when you fill it with nitrogen, the outside of the tank frosts up, and the nitrogen contained within boils off rapidly.

A tank can sit unused for years and still be fine, as long as it has been stored correctly - not on concrete or in a position to be damaged (the concrete encourages oxydation of the metal).

Bovine and equine semen tanks are the same thing, so other than the fact that you might want to rinse it out with a chlorine bleach solution if there are any broken straws in the tank (or have been, which you won't know) - making sure you allow it to dry well before filling with nitrogen - there really is nothing else needed.

C. Krauss
Neonate
Username: Mari08

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long is the average "life" of these tanks, Jos? Also, how frequently do they seem to need to be filled when it's being used strictly for storage of frozen semen, on average, roughly?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, there really isn't an answer to your questions! :-( I have tanks that are 20 years old and work well and I have seen tanks that are 5 years old and have failed.

As far as "how often do they need filling", the easiest thing is to point you at this location. As you can see, it will depend upon the size of the tank! The "working duration" is the amount of time that a tank will stay filled (on average) in the event that there is some traffic going in and out of it. One would never let it go that long however, as that is the duration to empty (and even that can vary a little), plus one should always dip tanks on a weekly basis in order to determine if the levels are dropping more rapidly than anticipated, and toe ensure there is adequate LN2 in them.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US