SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Flushing / frozen semen

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » Flushing / frozen semen « Previous Next »

Linda Price
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changing categories yet, same 'ole topic. In the interim of breeding seasons, I would like to increase the odds breeding mares using frozen semen. I would like to know what can used to flush them out that helps actually reduce the fluid...reversing osmolarity.....This might be asking too much but, thus far, since we have 0 mares in foal using the frozen, I am trying to comver all bases. I have read that Ringers Lactate is used....how does this help? And now with all this flushing I have mentioned, what harm can be done to the ph of the uterus and setting up for an opportunistic infection.
Sorry for soooo many questions!!!
Linda

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not aware of any flushes that have been used to "reverse osmolarity". Repeated treatment through the winter may actually be contra-indicated, as during winter anestrus, the uterine defense mechanisms would not be under the influence of cyclical estrogen (which stimulates the defense mechanisms), although in a similar vein, they would not be under the influence of progesterone, which depresses defenses. I would therefore have concerns about the possibility of introducing a harmful organism during treatment.

There certainly is a danger of upsetting uterine pH, and in fact after 3 consecutive cycles of breeding unsuccessfully, it is recommended that one miss a couple of cycles if that is an option, as it will allow the uterine pH to stabilize.

I must admit that I would feel somewhat inclined were I you, to leave her alone for a while, and let that poor old uterus recover a little! Then early next spring, I would start again with culture and cytology, or uterine biopsy; ultrasounds and Oxytocin pre-breeding if there's fluid present.

Back to the drawing board in other words!

Good luck!

Daina Atkinson
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi well I an just a beginner at this and I would just like to know if using frozen seamen normally works, or your just very lucky if it does.
Right now Iam in the process of looking for a good brood mare and I also need to know what questions to ask and what to look for when getting a brood mare.
The farm I work at was the first stable in Canada to use the frozen seamen but the owner has since left the equine industry,and is allowing me to use the seamen he had frozen aprox 10 years ago, it has been properlly maintained over the years,will the seamen be less active because of the amount of time it has been frozen??And what are my chances provining my mare is good?
Would like some feed back if possible:))
Thankyou

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frozen semen is certainly a very viable method for breeding horses in most cases, and as long as a capable technician has prepared the semen and bred the mare, pregnancy is usual.

There are some pitfalls though!

Probably the largest problem is that not all stallions have semen that will survive the freezing and thawing process. About 30% have semen that will be highly fertile post-thaw; 40% "average"; and about 30% have semen that will not survive. Research is constantly under way to improve these rates.

Pregnancies have been successfully achieved from frozen semen that has been stored for 10 to 15 years, and as long as the stallion is a stallion that has good post-thaw fertility, and the semen has been stored correctly, the viability should not be compromised by the duration of storage.

Make sure you use a competent insemination technician though, as with frozen semen you must inseminate close to ovulation!

Good luck!

Vjohn Aurora
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very interested in the progesterone and estrogen profiles in blood before and during pregnancy in the mare. Anybody have an article or name of an author? I am a biochemist with horses!!

Anonymous (24.177.152.207)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare has just finished weaning and we need to breed her next month. She is very skinny and you can see her ribs. I need to know if there is any special kind of food we can feed her to get her back to her normal weight so that she doesn't get hurt or that the foal doesn't get hurt either. We are new at this and we need some help. I have asked our vet and she says to get a second opinion and we thought that you could help us. We have been feeding her extra food but that doesn't seem to be helping and I just think that her last foal just sucked everything out of her. Please give us your advice.

Felicity Scott (63.34.235.154)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in finding out what is the best method of freezing percheron stallion semen. What is the best extender to use and why is it so hard to freeze draft horse semen. I believe there are many people having varying successes and wondered if you had heard of the work David Loomas is doing with draft horse semen. I live inAustralia and with such a limited number of percheron stallions around the country we ned to make the most of using AI with frozen semen.
What can you tell me?

esiverts (65.224.100.183)
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2001 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible for a stallion to "seem" to freeze well, ie. have good post-thaw motility, etc. yet still not be viable?

Two 4-yr. old mares were bred to a particular stallion by frozen semen this summer (one was bred 3 times, the other 4) at a veterinary facililty reknowned in the area for being skillful with AI and frozen semen, and neither mare took.

Neither mare showed any signs of reproductive malfunction (both were ovulating, etc).

Is it more likely the stallion or the mares that were the problem?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US