SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How long does frozen last?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » How long does frozen last? « Previous Next »

Vivian Drynan
Neonate
Username: Vivianco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I've been thinking about collecting then gelding my boy. I have plenty of time to decide what I'm going to do, he's not even 2 yet. I just want to learn everything I possibly can so that I can make the best decision possible. Many thanks in advance. :-)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 470
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivian, I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the board. I'm happy to see you posting.

I've heard that frozen semen lasts about 4 to 6 hours inside the mare. It depends on the stallion's potency. You have to be very timely when insemiating the mare. It's not the easiest method, but it does work if done correctly.

I've never used this method before. I gathered this information when I was searching for stallions.

I wonder if you can freeze it in your own freezer or does it need to be colder? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thanks in advance. Marilyn

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frozen semen will be viable for an estimated 10-50,000 years (yup, ten to fifty thousand!) if stored correctly, and assuming it was viable in the first place. Realistically, there have been pregnancies established with semen that was 15+ years old (the thousands of years estimate was established in the lab. by exposing semen to certain levels of radiation and other techniques).

Frozen semen in the mare is viable for about 12-16 hours, not 6 :-). There are of course individual stallion variations, but generally the intent should be to inseminate the mare no greater than 12 hours before or 6 hours after ovulation. There are timed insemination techniques that make getting the timing right a lot easier (follow that link for details).

Semen is frozen in liquid nitrogen which is at minus 320° F (-196° C) which is probably a little colder than your home freezer... :-) There's an article about freezing semen available on the site (follow that link too for the article!).

There is also a frozen semen FAQ on the web site that might be of assistance in answering some of the questions too.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos for correcting me. I would hate to misinform anyone here. I guess I have more reading to do.

I appreciate all the efforts you make, Jos, in helping us make better decisions regarding the breeding process.

Marilyn

Vivian Drynan
Neonate
Username: Vivianco

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. Can't believe it could last that long. Amazing. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Really hoping my boy will make it to stallion-hood. So I'm trying to learn anything and everything breeding related.

Mary Barrett
Yearling
Username: Twinlights

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I collected my horse then had him gelded. That was 13 years ago. He has a lovely yearling son now. The mare took on first cycle, and one straw.
Yup, lasts indefinately.

Adriana Angelich
Neonate
Username: Faluut42

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mare was bred in germany successfully with 30 year old semen.

As long as the semen is stored correctly, it should last forever.

Darkhorse 2572
Neonate
Username: Darkhorse2572

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a successful pregnancy using 18+ yr old frozen semen from Germany as well... And have a gorgeous colt to show for it! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US