SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING « Previous Next »

KERRIN E PECK
Posted From: 144.134.85.182
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND I HAVE A STALLION IN MONTANA.I AM WAITING ON SHIPPING HIM HERE SO I AM GOING TO SHIP SOME FROZEN SEMEN HERE TILL HE GETS HERE.I HAVE A VET LINED UP TO COLLECT IT ECT...
I AM ONLY NEW TO THIS AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT CONTAINERS I CAN USE TO SHIP HERE AND FOR A FEW MARES??
AND IN A SYRINGE AND HOW MANY STRAWS DO THEY CONTAIN,THE BREEDER THAT I BOUGHT HIM OFF SAID THERE IS ABOUT 8 STRAWS TO A BREEDING DOSE. AS THERE IS ABOUT 4 MARES TO START WITH WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST METHOD??

Jos
Posted From: 4.224.9.76
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, it is not quite as simple as just having a veterinarian lined up to collect the semen...

Semen for export has to be collected under strict quarantine conditions at facilities approved by USDA-Aphis for the collections, and only after the stallion having undergone special health tests and checks. Semen previously collected will not be eligible for export unless it was collected under those conditions.
You should be able to obtain the requirements by reviewing the AQIS website.

My gut instinct tells me that the semen you currenlty have access to will not be eligible for exportation, but let's hope I'm wrong...!

Anonymous
Posted From: 70.48.54.205
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant even imagine the costs of shipping a horse from Montana to Australia!!! Shipping one 6 hours from US to Canada cost about 1000US. Must be some kind of stallion!

KERRIN E PECK
Posted From: 144.134.85.147
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is going to cost me $16,000 AU all up.But the thing is anything esp homozygous and being b/w fetchesalot of money around $2,800+ and the foal are about weaners are around $7-10,000 depending on colour and breeding of an imported stallion compared to about $1-2,000
And the vet is a qualified vet to do it what health checks do you need nothing has been collected at this time!!

Jos
Posted From: 4.224.222.58
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you follow the link I provided above for the AQIS web site, it will provide you with a list of the requisite tests for the stallion, and the requirements for approval of the collection center. Note that the requirements for the collection facility are quite stringent, and other animals on the property must also be tested for the same diseases as the stallion (it is possible that this may be avoided if there is a strict quarantine arrangement for the breeding animals, but you would have to clarify that with the USDA-Aphis vet). Note too that a vet accredited for checks related to the export of the horse may not be accredited for checks related to the export of semen - somthing else to confirm with USDA-Aphis.

It can be done (and is), but be prepared for delays getting the tests and facility approval completed. You may have the stallion home before the semen! :-)

Jos
Posted From: 4.224.9.104
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just came across this link and thought you might find it interesting. I recognise that the site is talking about importing semen to NZ, not OZ, but many of the same regulations (and therefore costs) apply.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US