MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

45% post-thaw progressive motility?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » 45% post-thaw progressive motility? « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A stallion who is frozen and found to have about a 45% progressive motility post thaw - would that be considered average, below average, above average?
 

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a hard question to answer correctly!

Anything over 30% is generally accepted as being suitable for commercial release, but it is the total number of progressively motile sperm (PMS) that are inseminated that is most significant. If one has 30% PMS and want to inseminate 200 million PMS, and each straw contains a total of 200 million sperm (common for half-ml straws), then one would have to inseminate 4 straws. OTOH, if the stallion's PTM is 60% one would need only 2 straws. Remember it is the number of PMS inseminated that is important, not the percentage.

One also needs to consider that there can be excellent motility with zero fertility! So again, that %PTM is a somewhat academic figure to judge by. "What is the first-cycle conception rate of this stallion's frozen semen" is the question to ask. The answer should be something in excess of 50% (one has to allow for unsuitable mares, poorly handled semen and other issues outside the stallions control).

Having said all of the above, I would be satisfied with 45% PTM - as long as I was getting a good first-cycle conception rate with it!
 

SouthernCross
Posted From: 12.13.183.118
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're using frozen a lot in our barn and what we are seeing 70%. We are catching first-cycle.



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US