SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Frozen semen that has 25 to 30% post thaw motility

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Frozen Semen » Frozen semen that has 25 to 30% post thaw motility « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have acquired more than 30 straws of frozen semen on a stallion that has a 25 to 30% post thaw motility. No mares were ever bred with his frozen semen, so no first cycle pregnancy data is available. My arrangement requires no up front costs for me, but a registration fee paid to the stallion owner when and if I am able to get foals. I am working with a national frozen semen firm and practitioner who has lots of experience with frozen semen, but am I wasting my time on this semen at 25 to 30 % post thaw motility?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told that when using frozen semen you only end up with about 30%. This has me a bit botherd especialy after reading your post. We have our stud at a semen center right now to see if he will freeze. The first try at thawing did not work. They colected him again and will try thawing tomorrow. It would sure be nice to hear from Jos on this subject or anyone else that has knowledge. I would also like to know if I am wasting my time by trying more times. I understand that different extenders can be used and that may help but is it really wise to do this after it did not work the first time.

Jos
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30% progressive motility post-thaw is generally considered to be the lowest level aceptable for public release of frozen semen. This may sound low, but there are several factors that must be considered:

First: The important figure is the number of sperm inseminated that are capable of fertilization. The lowest desirable number is generally considered to be 100 million, and generally close to 200 million are used by us if possible. As the 5-ml straws are commonly packed with 600 million sperm, this means that 30% = 180 million motile, which is acceptable. The 0.5-ml straws are commonly packed with 200 million sperm, with the intention that more than one straw be used for an insemination dose. Hence with that size straw, at 30%, 3 straws would give you the same number of motile sperm.

Next: There is not a reliable correlation between motility and fertility with thawed frozen semen! One can have highly motile sperm that will not get anything pregnant, and conversely, poor motility that will give acceptable pregnancy percentages.

Finally: There is tremendous stallion variability, as well as technician ability (at both the freezing and thawing ends of things), and both those factors need to be considered. 30% for one stallion may yield excellent pregnancy rates, while 60% for another yields low or zero pregnancy rates.

You need to ask questions, and the questions to ask are: "What is the first-cycle pregnancy rate for this stallion's semen"? and "How many mares were used to make up this statistical analysis". The desirable rates should ideally be in excess of 50% for frozen semen, and there should be sufficient mares to make the statistic realistic. If this rate seems low, remember that it will also include mares that were not suitable, shipments that were mishandled etc.

So - the thing you both need to do, is: Try the semen! That will tell you the most!

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your reply Jos
I just read your article on freezing semen and it was very helpful.
I would like to know if trying the freezing again and again with our stallion is the way that it is normaly done.
The thawing did not work the first time so we have no semen to try on a mare. How many different attemps are normaly done before a stallion is considerd no good for freezing?
And what would they do diferent that could give us better results?
Our stud has a good breeding record on live cover but has never been collected before.

Jos
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are generally a couple of ways used to try to determine semen freezing ability with a stallion. One is to use a variety of extenders the first time and see which is the best, the other is to keep freezing until one finds success. How many times? Well, I guess that depends upon how much money you want to sink into it! :-)

Different things to try include different extenders; different freeze rates (freezing curves); pre-cooling or not; different straw sizes; different packing concentrations; etc. As you can see there are many variables to try.

It is important to be aware that there is no correlation between a stallion who has good fertility rates with live cover or cooled semen and the ability to freeze well, so that is not a measure that can be used.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update
We were able to get semen froze on our stud. The people said that it is common that it does not freeze/thaw well the first time or two if they have not been "used" for some time. That was something that I did not know but I guess that it makes sense.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US