SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How to get a mare to lactate?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Nurse Mares Available or Needed » How to get a mare to lactate? « Previous Next »

Chris Cox
Neonate
Username: Chriscox

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend had an orphan filly last week so we tried to put it on one of our mares who had just foaled. She let it nurse when we were there but was too protective of her own foal to let it nurse without us present (the three of them were okay in the stall with a board for it to go under though). I brought in my 21yo mare who quit cycling after foal heat last year and she actually had a little milk and let the filly nurse. Right now they have been together for 5 days and doing well (www.coxranch.com/2006foals.htm ) in a 1 acre pen with milk replacer left out for the foal. She nurses some, but not enough to sustain her. Any ideas on how to get the mare to produce more so that we can turn them out with the other mares & foals? I would like to get this mare in foal this year if at all possible so do not want to totally mess her up hormonally.

Thanks for any ideas.

Chris Cox

Cox Ranch
Marietta, OK
www.coxranch.com
Home of Zan Parr Nic - Reining & Cowhorse Money Earning son of Reminic & Sparkles Rosezana

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you thought about getting a dairy goat for the foal to nurse off of? I (fortunately) have never had to do that, but I have heard of it being succesfully done. I wish you luck.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had to either, but heard it has worked for others. Also, I beleive that there are some hormone shots available to help a mare lactate better. check with your vet--, someplace its here on the board too
Good luck

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10515
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could look at using Domperidone or Sulpiride, possibly by themselves will be suffucient, but there is also a protocol for inducing lactation in non-parturient mares when used in conjunction with a progestin and estrogen. Where the mare is already producing milk, I would feel inclined to try just the Domperidone or Sulpiride and see if that assists. Your veterinarian should be able to assist you with this, and you should be able to get the product through BET Pharm via your vet.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US