SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Nursemares Available in the northeast USA.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Nurse Mares Available or Needed » Nursemares Available in the northeast USA. « Previous Next »

Sandy Kistner (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandys Nursemare Service serves the northeast USA from Maine to Va. located just north of the N.J. border in southeastern N.Y. Sandys Nursemare Service will deliver ASAP, clean,healthy,milky Nursemares that will except and bond with your orphan foal. Call any hour of the day or nite 845-988-5265 or e-mail rentsiklensan@webtv.net Colostrum also available.

steph@mcmaster.ca (142.21.150.9)
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious -

Do you have a big enough facility that you have lactating mares that have lost foals, or can lactation be induced hormonally? It seems amazing that you can provide nursemares on demand!

Len (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandys Nursemare Service has about 35-40 mares that will have foals this season on the farm. There are other mares that are available to her service as needed.Most all the calls [demand] for nursemares to her service are emergency's.Foals that have lost their mom's one way or another.The foals at the farm are for sale.Well bred I might add.Hanavarian cross.Other Warmbloods, Paint,Apps,App Cross. There are yearlings and also 2 yr olds for sale.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, nursemares are mares who have foaled.
No, they are not hormonally induced. Wish it was that easy.

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it can be!

There was new research released at the International Symposium on Equine Reproduction this last summer (Induction of lactation in non-foaling mares and growth of foals raised by mares with induced lactation.
P.F. Daels, G. Duchamp, S. Massoni and P. Chavette
) that did indeed show how to induce lactation in non-parturient mares sufficiently to allow successful fostering of foals.

There is a pre-medication period with altrenogest and estradiol benzoate on a vaginal sponge, followed 7 days later by a treatment period with the dopamine antagonist Sulpiride. During the latter treatment period, milking 5 times a day with a mechanical goat-milking machine is commenced, which increases milk production.

The study used 16 animals, and all 16 produced sufficient milk to have a foal fostered onto them, and all of the foals had the same weight-gain and development as similar non-fostered foals at the end of 3 months.

Exciting stuff!

Len
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, that sounds good,but there are other qualities that make a nursemare. All the milk in the world won't make any difference, if the mare won't except the foal. Thats what makes the true nursemare so special.The true nursemare will except,nurish and protect her foal. I wonder if that would work on a nursemare or would she have to deliver her own foal to get that mothering trigger that mother nature puts there. It would be interesting. I know that Cyberfoal tries to conect orphans and mares that have lost their foals. This sometimes gets lucky, but I bet the percentage is low.To bad as many are in the areas where there are no nursemare services. I know Sandys nursemares have a 98% exceptance rate.Of course there are some that will take a little more time, maybe a day or two.She tries to get listed on Cyberfoal. Then she can answer questions for people as to what they can do if there is no nursemres available in their area. There used to be articals written there about her help. I don't know as I can't access it, I have webtv.

Len
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now here is something about mares and milk. A vet school and we won't say where or who, had a coliced mare and she died. Her foal, they thought, they could put on a mare that they gave the shots to to bring her into milk. The mare came into the milk and they proceeded to introduce the foal to the mare and the mare to the foal. What happened was the mare had no intention of mothering the foal. Ended up hurting a Vet and a Tech student. One student got a broken arm. They got the foal out of the stall OK. This tells me that this process don't work like it is said to. Our info was the mare had to have had a foal previous,but all the information doesn't point to a mare that will take a foal. Now people are going to have mares that have milk,but no foals on them.A whole lot of mastitis if you ask me. Sandy is as I write this taking a nursemare to the farm that ownes this foal.

Jos
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no guarantee of anything in the horse business. If there were, there would be more people in it!

It goes without saying that there will be animal variability. To not take that into account is idiocy!

To rule out valid research with a blanket statement like "This tells me that this process don't work like it is said to" is in the same vein as believing everything will work with all horses. There are mares that have just given birth that reject the foal. That's one of the reasons that businesses such as Sandy's Nursemare Service are in existence!

There was a second area of research performed in conjunction to the above research too, that exposed half of the mare group to two three minute periods of manual vaginal/cervical stimulation in the presence of the foal. Those mares that received the stimulation accepted the foals more easily than did those that did not receive it. Will that make all mares accepting of all foals? Of course not. But the bottom line is that it can assist greatly, and that mares can be hormonally induced to produce milk, and that the weight-gain of foals on those fostered mares is the same as non-fostered mares at the end of three months. So there is a possible alternative for those persons who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of needing a nursemare, but are unable to find one. An alternative that has been proven to have a high success rate. And if that assists in maintaining the life of one additional foal, it was worth trying!

Len
Posted From: 209.240.198.62
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, you seem to know someting about this subject.Sandy would like to hear from you? rentsiklensan@webtv.net Her and her vet have been talking. thanks

Sylvia (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.198.122.126
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hay do you know the price range of sandy's foals? He email is not working

Sandra Kistner
Neonate
Username: Sandy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Email is Nursemareone@webtv.net More phone Numbers, 845-452-7666, 845-656-3537, Fax 845-452-7666 Sandys Nursemare Service... Most old phone numbers will work too.

Dawn Gibson
Neonate
Username: Mysticchey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well HELLO Sandy!!!I dont know if you remember me but I have bought some of the foals from you. the standard bred arab geld,the thbred /appy colt,((he is now a stud and we have 4 offspring from him))
I just wanted to say hi.I want people to know I have done buisness with you and (had)no problems or issues.When I had to put my mare to sleep you offered me another one-I didnt take the offer because I was distraught. I wondered where you went.Thank you for my boys I love them dearly.Monte(arthur?)) is cant you believe 17yrs and Blue is 10. wow time flies.

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Len or anyone - There are mares out there that would like to be full-time mothers. I have a 21 year old mare that I have retired from breeding. When I have a foal born on the farm, she cannot wait to get her lips touching the foal. As they grow up, they tend to "hang" with Classy. We call her our "Grandma mare". If she could be stimulated to lactate, I have no doubt that she would accept a foal to nurse and raise. Just wanted to inject more info. I'm sure there are other mares like her.

ronnie stewart
Neonate
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been using older and/or mares that will not get in foal for the last several years as successful
nurse mares..
I will put these problem mares with my weanlings in the fall to observe if they have the right attitude to become a nurse mare..I run 52 head of broodmares on my place along with these older or pensioned mares
I rent the mares out if I do not need them my self
Gives these normally non productive mares a second chance and they seem to enjoy being a mom

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US