SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

6 MONTHS PREGNANT

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 2 » 6 MONTHS PREGNANT « Previous Next »

CINDY WERNER
Neonate
Username: Cricketsmom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,
I HAVE A 6MONTH PREGNANT QUARTER HORSE, THIS IS MY FIRST, AND VERY EXCITED, SHE IS A MAIDEN MARE, AND HAVE READ ALOT ABOUT THIS, IT IS VERY OVERWHELMING, BUT MY VET SAID SHE NEEDS TO LOSE WEIGHT? ABOUT 100LBS OVERWIEGHT, HAS ANYBODY HAD OVERWEIGHT HORSES, PREGNANT ONES?

Heather Cooke
Weanling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy
One of my mares was very over weight (she was a maiden mare) and the foal was born very thin but healthy. It was impossible to see if the muscles on her rump were relaxing like they are suppose to do when they get near foaling. I also never saw the foal move or kick which really made me concerned. I won't do that again.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy...well welcome and grats on a pregnant mare. I would follow you vets recommendation for geting the extra weight off. I know it's tempting to "feed for 2" but nothing much should change until the last couple of months. Get a recommendation for exercise. Continue to ride her if you are or pony her out or walk her. The better shape she is in the better/healthy her delivery and pregnancy will be. But again I would ask your vet for some guidelines. I would drive my vet crazy with my first foal :-)

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI JAN
THANKS FOR WELCOMING ME, I LIKE TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN THERE, GETS SOME POINTERS, AND YES IAM DRIVING MY VET CRAZY, I ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS, AND HE IS VERY PATIENT WITH ME, I THINK SHE HAS LOST SOME WEIGHT, IAM NOT FEEDING HER AS MUCH, I KNOW HEATHER HAD MENTIONED SHE NEVER SAW HER FOAL MOVE OR KICK, WHEN SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO SEE THE FOAL MOVE OR KICK? I HEARD AROUND 7 MONTHS YOU COULD SEE THIS? AND MY VET ALSO TOLD ME NOT TO FEED HER ANY VITAMINS, LIKE MARE PLUS, WHICH I BOUGHT, SO I HAVEN'T FED HER THIS,HE SAYS SHE'LL BE FINE WITHOUT IT.
THIS IS ALL SO NEW TO ME.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 783
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great board..check around to all the different posts there is a lot of knowledge here. I am not a breeder, I have a beloved mare that I have a 4 year old gelding from and a 3 month old filly this year. I saw the baby move around 8 mos along. It is very exciting but fleeting in the beginning. What did you breed your mare to?

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, I'm not a vet but I don't know why your vet said not to feed the mare plus. It won't make her gain weight, it's a good supplement to make sure she and the foal gets all it's vitamins and minerals. I would think if you're trying to get your mare to lose weight, the vitamins would be even more important. Just my opinion :-)

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I BRED HER TO A APPALOOSA, A NICE,CALM APPY. I HAVE DONE ALOT OF READING, AND IT DOES SAY VITAMINS ARE IMPORTANT, SO I THINK I WILL ASK AGAIN AT HER 7MONTH VISIT.
JAN, WHAT KIND OF HORSES DO YOU HAVE? TRACEY, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, I AGREE WITH YOU, AND I WANT WHATS BEST FOR HER AND THE BABY, ESPECIALLY SINCE SHE WILL HAVE THE BABY HERE AT HOME AND I WILL BE WITH HER, AS IAM SURE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE SAID, AND THE MINUTE THEY WALK AWAY, THE BABYS ON THE GROUND.

Kay B. Jones
Nursing Foal
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, Glad to hear someone else is about where I am. This is my first baby, but Topi's 7th. She aborted last year at 6 1/2 months but this year she seems to be fine. She is @ 6 1/2 now. She was very open with sooooo many births so we had her caslicked. I'm soooo excited too. I think I did feel the baby last night. Way under her belly right in front of the udder. We can count the days together. Kay

judy cervantes
Nursing Foal
Username: Judy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CINDY, I TWO HAVE A MARE 5 MONTHS PREG,HER FIRST AND MINE.MY VET TOLD ME I WAS GOING TO DRIVE MYSELF CRAZY AND HIM TO,SO I WILL SAVE MY QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD SO I DONT MAKE HIM CRAZY,MY VET ALSO SAID MY MARE DOESNT NEED ANYTHING MORE JUST YET,HE SAID AROUND THE LAST 3 MONTHS.SO THANKS FOR ASKING THE QUESTION ABOUT MARE AND FOAL,IS IT OK TO GIVE THEM .

judy cervantes
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF THERE PREGGOS AT AROUND 5-6 MONTHS ALONG,SO WE CAN SEE WHAT THEY SHOULD LOOK LIKE?THANKS I THINK THAT WOULD BE FUN.IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT A PICTURE ON I WILL.

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI KAY, I WAS WONDERING HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR HORSE ABORTED @61/2 MONTHS? I WONDER SOMETIMES WHEN I SEE MY MARE, IF SHE'S STILL PREGNANT, BECAUSE WHEN I CALL HER TO COME TO EAT, SHE WILL STAND THERE AND URINATE, BUT HOLD HER TAIL UP LIKE SHE'S IN HEAT, SHE DID THIS BEFORE,I THOUGHT SHE ABORTED EARLIER IN THE PREGNANCY, BUT I WAS CURIOUS IF OTHER PREGNANT MARES DO THIS, SHE ACTUALLY DOES THE WINKING TOO. MY VET SAID THAT SOME MARES DO THIS?

Kay B. Jones
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, we saw buzzards in the pasture. It was awful. The colt was still born and my mare had the placenta hanging from her. The colt was fairly large and my husband buried it. The vet had to pull the placenta and flush her out. He felt it was because she was tipped and possible infection. Lots of windsucking.
My mare has also winked some since she was confirmed pregnant. Made me worried too! This is Topi at 6 1/2 months. I'm just thinking very positive thoughts. Due March 1, 2008!!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc38/kaybjones/DSC00872.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc38/kaybjones/DSC00875.jpg

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay...Topi looks great! Look at that baby belly :-)

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one more thing , Cindy! I'm not sure but now looking back, I think I did see some dark discharge a day or so before. Had only had her two weeks and still did not know much about what was going on. Some say the early birth was an accumulation of things. Change of home, infection, a tear from a previous big birth.

My farrier says he thought she looks really big for 6-7 months. I don't want her to get too big because she may have trouble having it. Maybe I'll cut food a little more. There's still a lot of grass. I am also giving her Mare Plus.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, you don't know how excited it made me to see your response. Coming from an experienced horse mid-wife, it really gives me confidence. thanks!!!!

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, WHAT A TRAMATIC EXPERIENCE, I ALSO HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH A DUMMY FOAL, 8 YEARS AGO WE BRED OUR OLDER THOROUGHBRED WHO WAS LATE TEENS, AND OUR VET WAS GOING ON VACATION, SO WANTED TO INDUCE HER, WELL SHE WAS ONLY 2 WEEKS LATE, BUT HE INSISTED, WE DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER, HE WAS A VET, HORRIBLE MISTAKE, SHE WAS INDUCED TWICE, STILL NOTHING, SO HE PULLED THE FOAL OUT WITH TWITCHES, SHE WAS A DUMMY FOAL, 3 WEEKS LATER DIED IN THE HOSPITAL.
IAM GLAD I HAVE OTHER PEOPLE TO TALK TO ABOUT FOALING, I JUST LOVE IT, IAM SOOOOO EXCITED ABOUT THIS, I WILL SEND PICS SOON. I JUST LOVE THAT BABY BELLY, MINE IS DUE APRIL 4

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, how heartbreaking to even have it born and live for a short while. Don't you just count the days!!! I have every ten days marked and labeled on my calendar. I've signed up for some volunteer work just to have the time pass a little faster. I work part time too. I've bought and read several books, this website, magazines and have folders with info about breeding, now pregnancy, then birth , then raising a foal. The daddy is a blue roan and Topi is a sorrel. She is really sweet and calm. They are both reg. quarterhorses. Until just recently I would look at her belly and question is she or isnt she. Now I feel really good about it. I say several prayers a day to keep this one healthy.

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to the both of you I hope for healthy foals for you both, kay if you would not mind a suggestion...I would wait until your mare is at least 8 months along before feeding the mare plus, the extra calories are not needed until the last 3 months of gestation, your taking a chance of her putting on too much weight before the birth. For what its worth. Happy foaling vibes to you both.

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks so much jan, my mare is overwight, so the vet tells me, and he stated not to use anything for the whole pregnancy, i disagree, i think during the 3rd trimester, she needs the nutrients for a healthy foal, now he thinks because she has alot of extra weight, thats why she doesn't need anything else, what do you think? i just think the last 3 months is crucial, and for him to think she doesn't need this, i worrie, but if she is too fat, i don't need any problems with birthing either. she does have djd in her back hock, which limits my riding during her pregnancy, so i just walk her as much as i can. her field has alot of hills for her to walk to get water, and dinner, so she is walking every day up and down hills.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jan. Sounds good. I'll do just that!! Cindy, I'll think of you as I'm walking Topi. I don't ride her either. She also walks our pastures but its a leisurely stroll, stop and eat, rest under a tree,etc. I may start walking her for a little more extended time. I could use the walk, too.

Terry Waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all....I also have a fat mare due to foal middle of March. She has been fighting the battle of the bulge for a couple of months. She is kept on irrigated grass with the other brood mares but some time ago we started to bring her in at night. I do give her vitamins because I am interested in restricting calories not vitamins and minerals. My vet agrees. My plan is to cause her to slowly lose # until Christmas and then maintain her weight with a very careful diet. What ever she gets will be high quality with adequate protein but still i will give her vitamins. I feed Purina Strategy to whoever needs more to grow, produce a baby or lactate. Vitamins come into it any time I feed less than 6# of Strategy. I fill in with grazing or grass hay depending on time of year and the horse.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Terry! That makes sense too! I'll weigh all my options and keep a close eye on my mare and follow my gut. Also consult my vet if questions. I do feed purina Strategy but not 6# with all the grass we've had this year. But winter is coming and grass will start giving out. We do have some nice coastal hay. The previous owners warned about feeding too much the last trimester since she tends to have really big babies.

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI GUYS,
TERRY, DO YOU GIVE HER SOMETHING LIKE A MARE PLUS WITH HER FOOD? I HAVE BEEN FEEDING CRICKET A VERY TINY BIT OF GRAIN EVERY NIGHT WITH SOME HAY, I FEED PRIORTY 10, WHICH IS A SOTHERN STATES FEED, SHE HASN'T BEEN GAINING ANY WEIGHT, AND I HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING EXCEPT STARTED HER ON HAY IN THE EVENING, WHICH IS GOOD QUALITY TIMOTHY MIX, SO I CAN GET HER OFF THE GRASS FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. MY CONCERN IS WITH THE VITAMINS, WHY SHE WOULDN'T NEED ANY, EVEN THOUGH SHE IS FAT, SHE STILL IS LACKING VITAMINS, BUT I DO FEED HER A LITTLE BIT OF GRAIN, DO YOU THINK THAT HAS ENOUGH VITAMINS, ACCORDING TO MY VET, HE THINKS SO?

(Message edited by cricketsmom on October 22, 2007)

Terry Waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anytime my girls who are on pasture 24 hrs a day/365 days a year need extra feed they get Strategy. The vet tells me that they must have 6 # daily,to get the necessary vitamins and if they get less, I feed LMF Super Suplement. That gives the complete daily vitamin requirement. I am sure the grass gives them alot but I can't measure that. I determine whether to feed them Strategy or not based on their weight and condition...pregnant, lactating or getting ready for a show. here are some pictures of the ones that are 7+ months pregnant.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000265.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000264.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000263.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry..the girls look great! Beautiful mares.

CINDY WERNER
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I AM STILL TRYING TO GET MY TWO PHOTOS OF MY PREGANT CRICKET SO EVERYONE CAN SEE HER. I'M GOING TO TRY AGAIN!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1581.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1579.jpg

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1581.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1579.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 815
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy...I see Cricket! Beautiful white blaze down her nose! She looks content!

Molly M.
Breeding Stock
Username: Molly

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good idea to take up some hobbies while you wait for your mare to foal. Time seems to go so slow when you are waiting, but nothing like it will crawl when it comes close.

Here is an album of some prego shots of my mare mare last year at varying points in the year. She is 16 years old and this was her 7th pregnancy that I know of. I have only had her a couple years myself. Having a lot of pregnancies can make a mare retain a broodmare pot, which might explain why some of your mares look further along than they are.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=15382251&uid=5568833

Here is her colt Scotch's album: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=16332809&uid=5568833

CINDY WERNER
Nursing Foal

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi molly, what a pretty mare, she looks big in those pics, i can't believe how big she got, i love to see those baby bellies, i really can't see it on cricket, i try every day to touch her teats, my vet said to do this, because she is a maiden mare, and gets use to the teats being tugged on , have you heard of having to do this, it makes sense, but alot of times she don't like it, but he said come time to deliver she may be sore, and we don't want any more reasons why she might reject the baby.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, I think it's a good idea just to get your mare used to being touched there in general. As your mare gets close to foaling it's nice to be able to express milk and check how close she is. I honestly don't know if it makes a differance on whether she rejects the foal or not but it can't hurt! :-)

Terry Waechter
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I touch their teats and also clean away the gunk with baby oil.

I am wondering how it will be to take the mares out of the herd to foal and then add them back in after a couple of weeks. Eventually all the mares will have babies but the first one or two will be bringing something strange into this herd of maiden mares.
Any advice?

CINDY WERNER
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi terry, my stepdaughter's appy foaled this march, and had to put her and the baby out with her other 2 mares, and she took sare and the baby in the field and just watched to see how everybody got along, waited for a while, to see there was no problem, and everyday just for hour or two did the same thing, never left her and the baby out for more than a couple of hours, but i will have to be very careful with my mare when the time comes, she can not be with other horses, but her donkey i will have to really be careful, as i heard they can be aggresive with foals. so i guess i will have to introduce them carefully and watch.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont pasture a mare and foal with a maiden mare. I have heard that maidens can try to kidnap the foal and the resulting war between mother and maiden can put the foal in the middle. I know of a ranch where they pasture all mares and foals together and it seems they lose a few foals every year to injuries, kicks, etc. I just don't think it is worth the risk.

Deb

Terry Waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb
No it is not worth taking any risks....I have 6 pregnant mares but 4 of them are maidens + two 2 year old fillies pastured together. This season I put two older mares and foals in with the herd and they did fine. In fact one of the 2 year old unbred fillies took over babysitting and all the babies (over 2 months old) followed her around all day. She was like the Pied Piper with her own little herd...she even let them check out her milk bar...they realized only Mama has that and would head over to Mama now and then. The mother mares seemed to care less. These 6 mares have grown up together and rarely argue. Hope this continues but I am worried about the brand new babies. Sigh

charlene birdsall
Neonate
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Cindy, I also have a 6 1/2 month pregnant mare(Baby), she also is a maiden mare. At about 2 months pregnant she looked great, but around her 3rd or 4th month she got fat. So I cut back on her hay and grain. I think vitimans are very important and have nothing to do with them getting fat. I think Baby looks better now. I'll post some photos of her at 2 months and at present. Tell me what you think. Your mare looks bigger than mine. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PA280020.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PA280018.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0603071902.jpg The first two pictures was taken on 10/28, the last was taken at 2 months.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi charlene, wow, she is a pretty mare, is she quarter horse? she does look better now, when is she due? are you feeding her mare plus? i do think iam going to start her on vitamins, even though my vet doesn't agree, but i will talk with him again when he comes out in 3 weeks for her 7month check-up. iam cutting her back on grain, and little bit of hay, i did have a muzzle on her during the summer, we dont have that rich grass anymore, your horse really does look good.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, thanks, she is double registered. Breeding stock paint and ABRA (DUN). Her due date is April 2nd, plus or minus 14 days, according to the vet who bred her. When is your mare due? I give her Life Data Labs (Farriers formula plus growth). So you don't think she still looks fat? I couldn't even tell she was starting to show a little until I compared her 2 month photo to her 6 1/2 month photo. I bred her AI to a stallion in Colorado called "A Tru Rolex". He is homozogous black and homozogous tobiano. I'm so exicted I can't wait. I just hope everything goes ok. Thanks again for your opinion.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi charlene, cricket is due april 4th. mine also said because she is a maiden mare, she can go 3 weeks before or 3weeks after her due date. mine is a registered quarter horse. i bred mine to a appaloosa stallion. iam really counting the days down, i know i have 5 more months, but your right, this is so exciting, have you ever delivered a foal before? this will be my first, i hope i get to see it.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey cindy, that's cool our mares are both maiden and both due about the same time. This is the first time I've ever bred a horse. I plan on buying a camera for my barn but wasn't sure what kind to get. Wired or wireless. My barn has metal sides, and I heard somewhere that some cameras don't get good reception with metal sided barns. Where are you going to have your mare foalout?

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi charlene, she is going to have the foal at home, i too am looking for a camera, i plan to be sleeping in the barn, but looking at putting 2 cameras in the stall, i havent gotten all the details yet from our camera man, but he will be out shortly, we bred her live cover and that was the first for me, wow, it was brutal, we had to breed her twice, didn't take the first time, 2nd time went smoothly, iam trying to read all i can about foaling, there is alot of knowledge here thats for sure.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cindy, let me know what kind of camera you have put in. What kind of barn do you have? This is my second year trying to get Baby pregnant. Last year I used my local vet with AI. The firt try, we checked her after 18 days, and he said it looked like she was pregnant but absorbed it. The second time we tried she took at 18 day check, but lost it by her 30 day check. By this time it was July. The stallion was only available for two more weeks and we were supposed to go on vacation. So I decided to try again this year with a equine reproduction specialist. He bred her on April 17, then put her on Regumate the next day. I kept her on that till her 5th month. At her 5 month rhino shot and palp visit my vet said she was still pregnant. Yea! I did that nail test tonight. It went in a circle. I hope its right, I really want a filly bad. I also have been reading up, but still have tons of questions. Gotta go for now, talk to you soon I hope.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE, ME ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF BUILDING A INDOOR RIDING RING, SHOULD BE READY SOON. WE HAVE A 7 STALL BARN NOW, CONCRETE, WITH 2 FOALING STALLS, I WILL USE STRAW WHEN THE BABY COMES, THEN SWITCH TO SHAVINGS, HOW ABOUT YOU? I WILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CAMERAS AS SOON AS I CAN. TALK TO YOU SOON, I CANT TELL YOU HOW EXCITING IAM YOU TOO, I THINK THATS GREAT WE ARE GOING TO GO THROUGH THE EMOTIONS TOGETHER, BEING THEY ARE DUE THE SAME TIME.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, I so jealous. I have a outdoor arena (100x125), currently full of weeds I need to pull. I don't use it that much cause its too deep. I told the guy that built it for me that I wanted a 3" to 4" depth for the top layer. Well it's more like 6" to 8" depth. I didn't say anything to him about it cause all my friends said it probally just needs to settle. Well its been settling for about 3 years now and its still too deep, and not sure how to fix it. I also plan on using straw. I think I felt the baby move last night, but not sure if it was just my imagination. Do you know what strength of Iodine to use on the baby's umbilical cord stump? Do you plan on getting a enema as part of your foal kit? If so, what kind? Let me know about your barn camera. Thanks Char

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I talked to my husband about your arena being too deep. His opinion to fix that would be to take some out. What a pain, I know. I just don't know what else you could do...

We used 10% Iodine and Fleet enema for the foal. I'm sure there's other kindsf of enema's you can use, this is the one we used with no problems.

Hope this helps, Marilyn

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE, AND MARILYN, YES I DO PLAN ON GETTING THE FLEET ENEMA, THEY SAY THATS THE BEST, AND A STRONG IODINE, LIKE MARLYN SAID, IAM GETTING MY KIT READY, I ALSO TRY EVERY NIGHT TO SEE IF I FEEL ANYTHING, BUT HAVENT YET. CRICKET LOOKS AT ME EVERY DAY AND NIGHT, PROBABLY THINKING WHAT IS SHE DOING, I FEEL HER BELLY ALOT, HOPING TO FEEL SOMETHING, AND TOUCH HER TEATS SO SHE CAN GET USE TO IT. I WAS READING THAT AT DAY 180, WE ARE AT DAY 190, THAT THE FETUS IS THE SIZE OF A BEAGLE, I THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERESTING. TALK TO YOU SOON

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene and Cindy, I'm so sorry, I think I got the strength wrong on the iodine we used. I think it was 7% tinture iodine. This is different than what I had mentioned earlier.

Please read the following post I found of Jos's, regarding the iodine procedure you were questioning. This should answer any questions you have regarding treating the navel stump. It seems like the iodine is not the best thing to use according to this post.

As soon after birth as possible, the foal's navel stump should be treated. The purpose of this management practice is to prevent entry of bacteria into the foal. In the past, iodine was normally used. Research from the University of California has shown that the best treatment of the newborn foal's navel stump is chlorhexidine (Nolvasan). Dilution of one part of Nolvasan to four parts of water produces the correct 0.5 percent chlorhexidine solution. It was found that a 2 percent iodine or I percent povidone solution was not as effective at reducing organisms as was 7 percent iodine or chlorhexidine. While 7 percent iodine reduced bacterial numbers for several days, it caused other problems. Complications from 7 percent iodine occurred due to the rapid drying of the umbilical stump and sloughing of adjacent skin. The dry navel stump tended to break off after 35 days, resulting in development of patent urachus. Patent urachus is dribbling of urine from the foal's navel. The urachus is a small vessel in the umbilical cord connecting the fetal bladder to the allantois, which stores fetal urine during gestation until the placenta ruptures at birth. Normally, the urachus closes when the umbilical cord breaks, and urine is directed through the urethra. Failure of the urachus to close results in patent urachus.

AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION SERVICE THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE INSTITUTE OF AGRICULTURE

Can't quote percentages, and can't put my hands on the original research, but the above quoted summary should answer a lot of the above questions.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn and Cindy, Thanks so much the info. Cindy, according to justamere.com (size of the unborn foal), at 24 weeks, the baby should be 22inches and about 12-13pounds. I also read in one of my foaling books about the Nolvasan being better than the iodine. As far as my arena goes, that was my plan to take some out. A friend of mine is needing some more sand for her arena so I told her to come and get it. I know Cindy looked at the pictures of my mare, but did anyone else see them. Just wanted some more opinions on whether or not she looks too fat. I'm paranoid I know, I can't help it.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I don't think your mare looks too fat :-)

When my mare foaled I used the Fleets enema but my vet told me to use the mineral oil based one vs the saline. He also had me use Nolvasan over iodine.

charlene birdsall
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, thanks for your opinion. I didn't know there were different kinds of enemas. Mineral oil vs saline. Thanks for the info. I'll need all the advice I can get.

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,i was just reading the post and got a little confused,i saw that the justamere.com said a 24 week foal would be 22 inches and 12-13 pounds,The other web site that shows the time line says at 180 days or 24 weeks the foal is 19 inches and 25 pounds,am i not reading them right,can some one clear this up for me..THANKS

Saleste Clark
Nursing Foal
Username: Saleste

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene, I think your mare looks perfect the way she is!! She looks to be a very healthy weight to me.
Also, can anyone tell me what the best kind of hay to use for pregnant mares is? My vet told me Bermuda, but my vets aren't exactly horse-savvy.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saleste, I feed my broodmares good quality orchard grass or if they are thin an alfalfa/orchard grass mix.

Saleste Clark
Weanling
Username: Saleste

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, that helps alot! i never saw a whole lot of improvement in my mares. Not that they were ever in danger of being underweight!! they get Safechoice PLUS mare plus...just to be on the safe side!! I never saw any more milk production than with the hay we were feeding (which happened to be orchard grass anyways!) so I thought maybe we were doing something wrong. Our small town vets are sometimes questionable...

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Saleste, I should of answered your last question in my other post, but I'm a little tired and spaced it, sorry. I feed my mare and mini orchard grass. They are both very easy keepers. The hay I buy them is really good quality, so there for I had to cut back cause they were both getting too fat.

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Judy. What other web site are you talking about?

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI GUYS, I FEED MY MARES A GOOD QUALITY TIMOTHY/GRASS MIX, I HAD TO CUT MY MARE DOWN TO 2 PADS AM AND PM, WILL INCREASE LATER ON, FOR NOW SHE'S DOING FINE ON THIS. THERE IS THIS INTERESTING WEBSITE THAT SHOWS PICS OF WHAT THE FOAL LOOKS LIKE AS IT GROWS, ITS CALLED MAREMEADOWS.COM UNDER FOAL DEVELOPMENT. THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING. JUDY, HOWS DICE?

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topi's previous owner cautioned me that Topi gives everything to the baby especially the last 3 months. She had an extra big baby for her third. They came out in the morning and it was dead. She was also ripped pretty bad. After that they really limited her feed those last 3 months. I talked to my vet and she said to keep her about in the same shape as she was( 2 months). She had a little indention for the topline, a nice little tailhead, and decent fat on the withers. I'm going to continue the Strategy( @ 1 1/2 lbs twice daily, 2 leafs of hay as the grass gives out, mare plus) All the books say to raise the feed the last 3 months , but I'm not planning on it because of the big babies.

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, charlene,the other web site is called fetus development time line-eagleridge farm,at www.eagleridge-twh.com.check it out,tell me what you think.HI, CINDY,thanks for asking about dice she is doing great,but i noticed yesterday when i went to rub her belly and clean her teats she got very upset at me and pined her ears,she has never done this,so i tryed again and the same thing,she was eating so i will wait untell she is done eating and try again.cindy you said in one of your post that at day 180 the foal in the size of a beagle,thats from the eagle ridge time line to right!

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI JUDY, I ACTUALLY GOT MINE OFF OF A SITE CALLED MAREMEADOWS.COM, IT SHOWED THE EXACT SAME TIME LINE AS YOURS DID. JUDY I HAVE NOTICED CRICKET DOING THE SAME THING WITH ME, AT TIMES SHE SEEMS LIKE SHE DOESN'T WANT ME TO MESS WITH HER, I THINK THIS IS HER HORMONES ACTING OUT, I HAVE NEVER HAD KIDS, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT DOES TO YOUR SYSTEM, BUT I KNOW YOUR DEFINITELY NOT THE SAME, AND IAM SURE ITS THE SAME WITH OUR PREGNANT MARES, I HAVE READ THIS ALOT ABOUT THERE ATTITUDES CHANGING, AND I KNOW MINE HAS. SO KEEP TRYING, SHE'LL COME AROUND. HI JUDY, THAT WAS SAD ABOUT TOPIS 3RD BABY DYING, YOUR DOING THE RIGHT THING, WATCHING HER, MY VET ALSO SAID TO KEEP CRICKET AT THE SAME WEIGHT UNTIL HER 3RD TIMESTER, BUT EVEN THEN, HE SAID WATCH HER DIET, DON'T LET HER GAIN ANY MORE WEIGHT. AS MUCH AS I WANT TO FEED HER AND THE BABY, I HAVE TO BE STRONG, AND WATCH HER. SO IAM GLAD TO HEAR DICE,TOPI, AND BABY ARE DOING GOOD, KEEP WATCHING THOSE BABY BELLIES, I KNOW IAM.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI GUYS, CHARLENE, HOWS BABY? IS BABY CHANGING AT ALL, LIKE ATTITUDE? CRICKET IS DEFENITLY CHANGING, JUST LITTLE NASTY STUFF, PINNING HER EARS BACK AT MY DONKEY, CHASING MY CATS, WHICH SHE HAS NEVER DONE, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY ELSE HAD THESE ISSUES WITH THERE MARES.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, mine doesn't seem to have a different attitude. She's pretty mellow about everything, actually dominated by my other horses. I did notice just this morning and it was talked about on the other post--- her urine is really strong, yellow. I guess that's good. Baby is secreting lots of hormones (?). She is @ 210 days. These last few months are going to be FUN! Really starting to show and sometimes I swear I see the belly move. What is usually one of the first signs and when does this occur. Like in humans, baby seems to drop about 6 weeks or so to birth. I told my vet I put him on speed dial. He said usually horses have very little trouble but if they do, its usually of concern. He said to not "spook" the mother and cause her to rise too quickly. She needs to keep the cord attached for @30 minutes to keep pumping 2-3 quarts of blood to baby. (I hope I got this right) He said just make sure bag is away from baby's nose. And check that all the placenta is passed. It's a large amount. Also talked a little about shots right after. I said I will probably have him come out that day to check everyone out.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KAY, YOU HAVE TO SEND SOME PICS, I WOULD LIVE TO SEE HER NOW, YOUR RIGHT, THESE NEXT FEW MONTHS ARE GOING TO BE SO FUN, MY VET WILL ALSO COME OUT THE SAME DAY, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS FINE, I CAN'T WAIT, IAM SO EXCITED. IN KNOW YOU ARE TOO. I WAS READING ABOUT THE PLACENTA, AND THEY SAID SOMETIMES IN MAIDEN MARE, YOU HAVE TO TIE IT UP, SO ID DON'T DRAG, IT BOTHERS THEM? HAVE YOU HEARD THAT?

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CINDY,I HAVE HERD ABOUT HAVEING TO TIE UP THE PLACENTA SO IT DOESNT PULL OR GET STEP ON AND TORN OUT OF HER,IT NEEDS TO BE IN ONE PIECE SO THE VET CAN SEE IT AND MAKE SURE ALL OF IT IS OUT OF HER.HOWS CRICKET DOING???

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, The only change in Baby's attitude is when I feel her belly to see if I can feel the baby move. She looks at me and tries to move away or she'll lift her back leg like she's gonna kick me, but she knows better. This afternoon I went to get her out to excerise her, and noticed she was lame. I think it's an abcess. She usually gets them a couple of times in the winter. I have a soaking boot I used on her last time, but that was on a front hoof. This time it is on her right rear, and I don't think it will fit. She will not stand with her foot in a bucket I've tried before. How do you guys treat an abcess? A friend of mine once told me she used a diaper and some duct tape. Anyone got any better suggestions. As for her pain, can pregnant mares have bute?

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I use epsom salts soak (usually a bucket) but I have heard that you can try poultice packed in the hoof with a diaper and duct tape over it. If that doesn't work, then I have my farrier come out and cut it out to drain. Good luck and keep us posted.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE , MY 2 AGED TB'S ARE PRONE TO ABCESS, AND USUALLY WILL NOT STAND FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME TO SOAK, SO I JUST USE THE EPSOM SALT FOR SHORT TIME, AND PACK THE HOOF WITH POULTICE, AND STUFF IT WITH COTTON, I HAVE THE LONG ROLLS, AND STUFF IT GOOD, THEN MAKE A BOOT OUT OF THE DUCT TAPE, SO IT STAYS ON PRETTY GOOD, CHANGE IT EVERY OTHER DAY, THIS ALWAYS HELPS IF I DON'T NEED TO GET THE VET OUT, THIS IS WHAT I DO, CRICKET GETS GRAVEL, SO I DO THE SAME THING FOR HER, NOW SHE HAS DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE, SO I CAN'T RIDE HER MUCH, THE VET DID TELL ME TO USE BUTE IF SHE GETS TO WHERE IT IS PAINFUL, SO HE SAID I CAN USE BUTE, BUT HE DOESN'T WANT TO START ANY NEW MEDS UNTIL SHE HAS THE BABY, LIKE COSEQUIN,
CRICKET IS DOING GOOD, SHE IS SO SWEET TO ME, BUT MAN IS GETTING MEAN TO MY DONKEY, SHE KICKED HIM IN THE FACE THIS AM WHILE FEEDING, SHE SCARES ME WITH THIS ATTITUDE SOMETIMES, I HOPE SHE IS GOOD WITH THE BABY, MAYBE IF ITS HERS SHE WILL BE DIFFERENT, BUT HER ATTITUDE WITH THE DONKEY SURE HAS CHANGED, AND WITH OTHER ANIMALS, DOGS, CATS, I WILL DEFINTELY WEAN THIS BABY AS SOON AS I CAN.

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank everyone again on the abcess advice. I just decided to try the epsom salt soak in one of my black rubber feed buckets. That seemed to work pretty well. Did this for a couple of nights. She seems less lame on it, but I can't see any signs that it popped. Should I keep trying to soak it or just see if she continues to get better in the next couple of days? I've read that you shouldn't have any large buckets in a foaling stall, just in case the mare had it standing up, it could fall in and drown. Does the same hold true for a large hay feeder, cause I just bought this new feeder recently and love it. She can eat with her head down, like horses should, and she doesn't waste any. I took a picture of it, would you guys mind looking at it, and tell me if you think I should take it out of her stall just before her due date please.[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PB110025.jpg[/IMG]

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, did you read on one of these sites, someone heard if your mare becomes aggressive during pg, it could mean she's having a boy--more testosterone. But if you keep reading I think that tale was dismissed. Still fun to think about it. Then did you see the post that says if she carries it wide its a filly ( I think) and low means colt. Along with the nail test we ought to predict everytime(HE HE). Haven't taken any more pictures of Topi. Husband has to help--I'm computer SLOW. I'm trying to learn but it just doesn't stick in my brain. I teach Algebra and can do calculus but not the computer technology. My husband gets so exasperated! Topi is nearing @100 days and counting. Felt the baby kick really hard this AM while she was eating.

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay, The posting picture thing is a piece of cake, but I think it would be easier and quicker to explain if you want to call me. I haven't felt my mare's baby kick in several days. So I be worried? Where were you feeling when you felt the baby kick this morning? I've been feeling right in front of her nipples. My # is (360) 460-6315.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI GUYS, KAY, YOU ARE GETTING REALLY CLOSE, I WISH I COULD FEEL THE BABY, IAM AT 201 DAYS, I WONDER WHEN I SHOULD FEEL THIS? SO, I WONDER IF IAM GOING TO HAVE A COLT, I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A COLT, I HAVE ALWAYS HAD MARES, BUT I AM GOING TO LOVE IT WHATEVER IT IS. YOUR RIGHT, WE SHOULD BE EXPERTS BY THE TIME THE BABY IS HERE, BUT WE ARE ALWAYS LEARNING, I AM WITH YOU ON THIS COMPUTER THING, I HAD TO HAVE A FRIEND HELP ME WITH POSTING A PICTURE, SHE SAID IT WAS REALLY EASY, I COULDN'T FIGURE IT OUT. I WILL TAKE SOME PICS THIS WEEKEND, AND SEND, HOPEFULLY. ITS GETTING COLD OUT, WINTER COATS, ITS HARD TO TELL IF SHE IS GETTING A BABY BELLY, WHERE ARE YOU FEELING KAY? KAY, WHERE ARE YOU AT? IAM IN MARYLAND, AND YOU CHARLENE? HAVE YOU BEEN FEELING THE BABY KICK ALOT CHARELNE? YOUR MARE IS PRETTY FAR ALONG,RIGHT? IS SHE THE SAME AS CRICKET, I THINK SO ?

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, I've been having trouble feeling the baby too. I thought I felt it about a week or so ago, and havn't had any luck since. Today she's at 209 days. Is your mare a maiden too? Is your mare still crabby? I live in the Pacific Northwest of Washington state. It was really stormy today, lots of wind and rain. To post a picture from photobucket just click on the IMG code just below the picture, it will be highlighted, that copys it, then minimize that screen. Then hit ctrl V in your post where you want it. Like this [IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/baby_008.jpg[/IMG] It works for me every time. Let me know if you understand this ok

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, I live in Snohomish, WA where do you live? We lost our power for a brief moment but thankfully got it back. It was pretty nasty here today so none of the horses got out of their stalls.

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, I live in Port Angeles, WA. Our power never went out, but flickered alot. What kind of horses do you breed. What are your thoughts on that feeder in my mares stall? I posted a picture of it yesterday. Its 19" wide by 30" long.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I breed Arabians, my stallion is going out for Sport Horse training December 1st, I'm very excited!

I think the feeder is fine, it's pretty rare that a mare foals standing up but if you're really concerned you could always cover it up at night.

How many horses do you have? What kind do you have?

Kay B. Jones
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gone a few days of not feeling the baby move too at times. Just thought it might be sleeping. I've heard give her some cool water to feel the baby move. I feel right in front of the nipples and kind of pat it. I usually do it while she's eating--she's still and interested in that and not me. I keep it there fairly long sometimes. maybe a minute or more. I'm in Texas about mid way between Houston and San Antonio. Weather here is beautiful but strange for mid november. @ 85 degrees. By my vets info sheet she is in her third trimester TODAY. HOME STRETCH! I've warned my husband to get used to sandwiches or fending for himself come Feb,Mar, Apr. I'm so excited I count everyday. Nice to know others are anticipating as much. Thanks for the directions for Photobucket and your #. I will try this weekend and if I need some help I'll surely call. Thanks, again.
As far as the hay feeder--I'm a novice so really can't give advice. Looks really nice, though. One of my mares really drops her feed and hay and that might work for her. I've had her teeth floated and she still drops, I think she hurries and moves around alot thinking others are going to get her food.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE AND KAY, YES SHE IS STILL CRABBY, I HOPE IT GETS BETTER, SHE REALLY IS A NICE MARE, TYPICAL QUARTER HORSE, NICE DISPOSTION, EXCEPT NOW,SO HOPEFULLY THIS PASSES AFTER THE BABY, WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE ALREADY REACHED THAT THIRD TRIMESTER, LUCKY, I HAVE A LITTLE WAYS TO GO, NOT LONG, AND IT'S 85 DEGRESS, NICE, IT'S 30'S AND 40'S HERE, WHAT ABOUT WASH.? I WILL TRY TO POST SOME PICS HOPEFULLY I WON'T HAVE TROUBLE, BUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW, CRICKET IS A MAIDEN MARE, HER FIRST AND MY FIRST, SOOOO EXCITED. KAY CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME UPDATE PICS OF TOPI.

charlene birdsall
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, I just have my mare, and my daughters mini. My mare will be 8 in Janurary and the mini will be 11 in April. My daughter showed the mini in 4-H for a few years, then lost interest. Kay, let me know if you need help with posting those pictures. The high tempature was about 50 degrees, and the low right now anyway is 31 degrees.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI EVERYONE, JUDY, HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU, HOWS DICE? I WILL PUT UP SOME RECENT PICS SOON, HAVE TO TAKE SOME. CRICKET DOING GOOD, NO BAD MOOD CHANGES RECENTLY, SHE WAS GETTING BAD THERE, SLOWED DOWN SOME. KAY, DID YOU GET MY OTHER MESSAGE? TALK TO YOU SOON

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CINDY,IAM HERE,JUST BEEN READING WHAT EVERYONE HAS TO SAY.DICE IS DOING GREAT,THANKS FOR ASKING.IAM GLADE CRICKET IS DOING GOOD TO.DICE HAS ALSO SLOWED DOWN SOME ON HER BAD MOODS,MUST HAVE BEEN A STAGE,IS CRICKET ABOUT 7 1/2 MONTHS NOW?WHEN IS SHE DUE AGAIN??DICE IS DUE 4-19-08.TALK TO U SOON.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1
771.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1785.jpg[/IMG]

hi judy, this is cricket at 61/2 mon. a little over, she will be 7 months on the 25th. she is due on 4-5-08. hopefully these pics went through, she doesn't look that different then she did at 51/2months. can you tell if she is bigger?

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES CINDY, I CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE I LOOKED AT HER FROM OCT AND SHE LOOKS FULLER IN THE LANK AREA,I WILL TRY TO PUT THE PICTURES OF DICE ON I TOOK OF HER TODAY,SEE IF U THINK SHE LOOKS ANY DIFFERENT...THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOO FUN,I CANT WAIT TO MEET ARE BABYS....

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/tattooPICTURESOFDICENOV18 2008001.jpg

Hi cindy,here are some pictures i took of dice today,she is almost 6 1/2 months

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry,im still getting the hang of this.here are 2 more..

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/tattooPICTURESOFDICENOV18 2008007.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/tattooPICTURESOFDICENOV18 2008003.jpg

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think she looks bigger then cricket, i just love her color, so pretty, she doesn't have a winter coat yet? where do you live again? cricket looks like a bear with her winter coat already, she changes color too, we are getting better at this, taking and posting pics, i just learned, charlene told me how, and did a good job at it.

charlene birdsall
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy and Judy. Cindy I also looked at Cricket back in October and the pictures you posted yesterday, and I can tell she looks a little bigger about the same size as my mare. Judy's mare on the other hand looks huge compared to ours. Mabey it was the angle that shot was taken. Judy did you have any other side shots besides the one? I also took some pictures of Baby last night, I'll post them shortly.

charlene birdsall
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy and Judy again, I just got done with the shoer, and my vet came to give Baby her 7 month rinho. Here are the pictures I took of Baby last night [IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/1118071906.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/1118071904a.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/1118071907.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/1118071907a.jpg[/IMG]. My vet says she still is too fat and that I need to start lunging her a few times a week.

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CINDY AND CHARLENE.IM HOPING DICE LOOKS BIGGER BECAUSE SHE IS A SMALL HORSE SHE IS 14.3.CINDY DICE DOES HAVE A WINTER COAT BUT THE PICTURE DOESNT SHOW IT.WE LIVE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO,CALIF.CHARLENE I DONT SEE BABY AS BEING TO FAT ,I WONDER WHAT MY VET WILL SAY ABOUT DICE AT HER 7 MONTH SHOT.I WILL GO TAKE SOME SIDE SHOTS OF DICE THEN TELL ME IF SHE STILL LOOKS BIG

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CINDY AND CHARLENE,HERE ARE TWO MORE SIDE VIEW PICTURES OF DICE .

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/12.jpg

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is the other one that didnt take the first timehttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/tattooPICTURESOFDICENOV18 2008004.jpg
.sorry

charlene birdsall
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy, Ok that's more like it. I thought it must have been the angle on that first shot. The other two pictures don't make her look quite as huge looking . Were you kneeling down in front of her looking up when you took that first shot? That would explain it. The other two pictures you took makes her look like Cricket and Baby did about two weeks ago. You may have answered this question already but, is dice a Maiden? I used to live not too far from you in Escondido, CA .

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE,YES DICE IS A MAIDEN,HER FIRST AND MINE,IVE HAD HER SENCE SHE WAS 1 1/2,SHES 13 NOW.THE FIRST PICTURES I TOOK I WAS HOLDING HER AT THE END OF THE LEAD ROPE SO I GUESS IT WASNT FARE ENOUGH AWAY FROM HER.IM GLADE YOU THINK SHE LOOKS OK NOW.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys, i didn't think baby looks that fat, i can't wait to see what my vet says on sunday, for her 7month shot, i did cut her down a little on feed and hay, she still has good pasture, but i know cricket is a little more pudgery than baby, oh, he will say something, i will have to start lunging her more often, it will do her good, but i think dice looks great, charlen, are you in california too?

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CINDY,WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING CRICKET??DOES SHE GET ANY VITAMINS??OR PREG.HORSE SUPPLEMENT?I DIDNT THINK ANY OF ARE HORSES LOOKED FAT.I TOLD DICE TODAY MAYBE WE SHOULD START LUNGING AGAIN,IF I DO ,IS IT OK TO WALK TROT,AND A LITTLE CANTER??AND FOR HOW LONG,IS 3 TIMES A WEEK GOOD>??I JUST HAVE A VISION OF THE BABY BOUNCEING UP AND DOWN ,DOESNT SEEM LIKE IT WOULD BE TO COMFORTABLE FOR HER,I BABY HER TO MUCH..

charlene birdsall
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy and Cindy, I also bought Baby when she was a year old. She will be 7 years in Janurary. I havent't excerised Baby much in the last two months (that was the last time I rode her). Today after she got trimmed and got her rinho shot I lunged her at a trot for 5 minutes, then at the canter for a couple of minutes each way. That about wore her out. Tonight when I feed her I noticed her neck was sore and a little swollen. Tomorrow I need to wormer her. I'll lunge her again on Wednesday, weather permitting. I think 2 or 3 times a week will be a good start, don't you Judy? Cindy let me know how what your Vet says on Sunday. I didn't know vets worked on Sundays, by the way I live in Port Angeles, WA. Talk to you guys soon.

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI GUYS, I GOT THAT WRONG, THE VET IS COMING OUT ON WED. THE 28TH. CRICKET WILL BE 7 MO. ON SUNDAY, I HAVEN'T FED HER ANY VITAMIS YET, BECAUSE THE VET SAID SHE WAS TOO FAT, AND DIDN'T NEED ANY SUPLEMENTS. SO IAM GOING TO ASK HIM AGAIN THIS WED. IF I SHOULD START, I DON'T THINK IT WOULD HARM HE AT ALL. I KNOW I NEED TO START LUNGING CRICKET TOO, SHE REALLY NEEDS IT. CHARLENE AND JUDY, DO WE HAVE NEW PICS?

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, haven't taken any more pictures since the one I posted on the 19th. I have Sunday and Monday off, so I will then. Can you feel the baby moving yet? As far as I'm concerned vitimans will not make a horse fat. Where I live our soil is deficient in selnium, and Babys hoof quality isn't that good, so I give her "Farriers Formula Plus Growth". Let me know how your vet visit goes on Wednesday.

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi charlene and cindy,i think i felt the baby move for the first time this morning,just 2 little bumps,could that have been the baby,dice is 6 1/2 months.cindy i havent taken any more pictures i will try to get some soon.

Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, Judy isn't cool feeling the baby move? I haven't been able to feel a whole lot the last couple of days. Here are a few more pictures I took last night at day 121[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PB240032.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PB240033.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PB240034.jpg[/IMG] When are you two going to post some pictures. I want to compare bellys. Gotta go for now, I have to make a hay run.

Kay B. Jones, Topi due 3/1
Weanling

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, this next month for you will be exciting. Mare gets lots bigger, baby moves more, You get a little more confident all will be well. Hey , I sound like an old pro , don't I?

Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Kay you do sound like a pro. Does my look like she's getting bigger? Your mare is about a month ahead of mine. Is Topi getting really big, any changes in her udder? Can you post a recent photo? Is it normal to feel the baby move everyday for a week, then hardly feel anything at all? I'm just chalk full of questions aren't I? Lol

Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Topi at 8 months.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc38/kaybjones/?action=view&current=topi8mont hs.jpg

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc38/kaybjones/?action=view&current=topinov25 2.jpg

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi charlene,baby is getting bigger,I love her color.yes it is very cool being able to fell the baby move for the first time,wow.KAY-Topi looks great what a pretty girl.I try to feel dices tummy every time i stand by her,havent felt anything today yet.I will take pictures soon.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 492
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, you must spend a lot of time grooming Baby. She is so shinny! I'm just curious, where are you from? She hasn't any winter coat. Mine are all shaggy and scraggly looking. We brush them and then afterwards they go and find a nice roll spot and all that work is for nothing. I can understand wanted to have a dirt covering during the summer for the bugs, but what gives during the winter?

Kay, your Topi looks so large. So much larger than what I remember my mare looked like at 8 months, but maybe I just forgot.

It really gets me excited when I see pictures of preggo mares, keep posting pictures everyone, I love it!

judy cervantes
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHARLENE IAM A LITTLE CONFUSED YOU SAID BABY WAS AT DAY 121 DUE IN APRIL.DICE IS AT DAY 196 DUE 4-19-08.BABY IS 6+ months right???

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy and Charlene here are some pictures of dice from today.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/DSC00012.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/DSC00011.jpg

CINDY WERNER
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys, i can't believe how big topi looks, wow, i can't wait to post some recent pics of cricket, soon, i will take some tomorrow, she don't look that big, cricket is at day 214, and due on 4/4/08, she just turned 7months today, i think her and baby are due around the same time, right? they look about the same, belly wise. dice is looking good, and so is baby, but man, some of these horses don't have a winter coat, like marylyn said, mine looks like a shag, i groom her and you don't even notice it, but baby and dice and even topi ,all there coats are shiny and not to wooly, iam very gelous, so i will post some tomorrow and tell me what you think, i just love these pics.

Weanling

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Topi had more of a winter coat. She seems a little cold and I don't have a blanket for her. Can't wait to see Cricket. During this next month it does seem like they grow a lot. Of course I put up the pictures that show off her belly the most. She was bred the month before but when we took her back to see if she was in heat again she allowed the stallion to mount for the next 10 days. When I took her to be ultrasounded at day 30 the vet thought the timing was about right. Haven't really looked at udder much lately but I don't think its changed. I honestly hope not . I don't want an earlier baby--soooo cold. and I want him/her to "cook" as long as it needs to.

Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay, Topi looks great, and is really getting big. That's probally cause this isn't her first is it? Won't be long now.

Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy, thanks for the comment on Baby. I love her color too. She a Dun. Soon you will feel the baby moving. I made a boo boo about how far along Baby is. She is 222 days today. I think Dice looks great. I hope my baby has nice markings like Dice does.
Hi Marilyn, no to be honest I don't groom her but about once a week, but I kept a sheet on her most of the time. Ever since I bought her when she was a year old I've blanketed her in the winter. I live in Washington state about 1 1/2 hours northwest of Seattle. It gets pretty cold here in the winter. Lately, the high during the day has been about 45 degrees F., and about 32 degrees at night.
Cindy can't wait to see pictures of Cricket. Your mare and mine only have a two day difference on their due dates and both are maidens. It will be interesting to see who's mare has their baby first.

CINDY WERNER, CRICKET DUE 04/04/08
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1826.jpg[/IMG]
hi guys, charlene, this will be very interesting to see who goes first with our mares, they are so close together in dates, so this is her at 7months, doesn't look that different then before, can anybody tell? so the vet comes out on wed. i will see how much weight she still needs to lose. she doesn't look as clean and neat as your guys do, but it was raining this morning and i wanted to get this picture on.

Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cindy, Cricket's belly looks about the same size as Baby's. I don't think your mare looks dirty, she's cute. Is her baby moving around much? Let me know how the vet visit goes. Charlene

Emma Newby
Yearling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, thought I'd join in! My mare is 6 months today-ish (!) and due May 18th. She lost a foal about 8 weeks premature 6 years ago and it took me this long (and encouragement from here) to try again.

She is definitely hormonal and moody with the 18 month old she's in the field with - one minute nice as pie and grooming and the next chasing her away with ears pinned back and biting trying to connect rather than just for show. I keep comforting the 18 month old and telling her it's not personal as she's so sweet and acts really upset! Normally she's a sweet mare who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

She's also wintering out with a rug on at night or when it's cold so a woolly mammoth right now and not shiny like some of the other poster's girls!! The photos are from my camera phone so not great quality either - but what do you think - still pregnant?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2065763543_48e920e58a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2066560222_133e077251.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2389/2066558870_49d14dbe95.jpg?v=0

The photos were taken a few days ago so just under 6 months if she still is. I really really want her to be but also trying not to get too excited!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma~I think I see a baby bump!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma, Welcome. I'd say from the first picture, she still looks pregnant. She looks like a mare I used to own. How old is she? Did you see the photos posted of Baby, Cricket, Topi and Dice to compare? Did she get her 5 month rhino shot.

Emma Newby
Yearling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Both - yeah, I think (and hope) it is just a little more than a grass belly!

Here are some photos from before for comparison...

This is her in the summer http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2259/2068733789_22228ac490.jpg?v=0

This is her this time last year, but clipped http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/2068737197_9734d4981c.jpg?v=0

This is her earlier this year before going to stud (she had lost top line after a nasty kick) http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/2069533230_4a68ee8c5e.jpg?v=0

This is her around 3 months pregnant http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/2069533910_ff4257167f.jpg?v=0

Fingers and toes and everything else crossed...

Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, YESSSSSSS Cricket is coming along nicely. Let us know what the vet says.
Emma, I know you are worried about yours. I also lost a foal last year at 6 1/2 months, so I have been paranoid. BUT I believe postitive thoughts bring positive energy. Sounds kind of "hippie-like", but that's what I'm gonna believe. We will just work on our positive attitude together. I'm enjoying every minute of this baby. With the last one, I got Topi at 6 months PG and lost it at 6.5. Soooo I believe I just needed to experience the whole deal. Heat, breeding, heat again, breed again, ultrasound, rhino shots, belly growing, baby moving, etc. etc.
I'm sooooo glad now to go through ALL of it. We've bonded (Topi and I) and I feel so close to NOVA, the baby already. I do believe everything does come out the way its supposed to. I had a stillborn myself 25 years ago at 6.5 months, then had my last daughter a year later and she is WONDERFUL!! A mother's dream and best friend. She would not have been born under other circumstances so tragedies lead to blessings every time.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma, she looks pregnant to me! My mare is just coming on 5 months pregnant and looks very similar but slightly smaller.

Kay, I agree with the positive energy. My motto has always been "everything happens for a reason". When bad things happen it can be very hard to keep a positive outlook but as time goes on and you look back, most of the times it does make sense of why it happened.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, have you any pics you can share with us of Tali? Would love to see some.

Yearling

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1849.jpg[/IMG]
hi guys, well, the vet said she looks good, still needs to lose some weight, but, looks better then she did a couple of months ago. he did say you could see where the baby is positioned, her belly was really sticking out at one point, he said that was the baby, so she still needs to be on a diet, i hate that, i know its for the best though, how is your guys doing? kay, cricket has a special place in my heart, my sister died of breast cancer at 37, and cricket was her only baby, she got her at 3months old, she meant alot to her, so when she died i inhereted her, alot of people say iam breeding her for all the wrong reasons, but i believe she will turn out to be a great horse, start from scratch, and raise her the way i want her to be, its going to be hard,i know,but i feel i will always have a piece of my sister with me, this way the family tree will grow, since i am not having any kids. what do you all think? what do you think of her today?

judy cervantes
Weanling

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,cricket looks good,i love her face its so peaceful looking.Is she as sweet as she looks?cindy iam sorry about ur sister i know how it feels to lose some one to cancer,i think its great that you stil have a piece of your sister in her.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I posted a pic of Tali I believe in another thread but here it is again
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/002.jpg
She's about 4 1/2 months in this picture so not showing that much, maybe a little rounder.

Cindy, I just got home from the hospital tonight after watching my 88 yr old grandma die. She lived a very long life and it was her time but still very emotional. So, my point is, if it gives you peace in any way to breed your sister's mare I'm happy for you and who cares what anyone else has to say

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traci: she looks good as does Crickett, Cindy.

Tali is just about a month ahead of Sweetie. my daughter and I went to the barn last evening to ride and I asked my hubby to take some photos of Sweetie for me. He did, but boy, men don't think sometimes. He took pix of her right thru the darn gate to the pasture...so the gate really has some nice focus on it, you can hardly see Sweetie thru it. I just looked at him and laughed, so I'll get some pix of her just past her first tri-mester soon so you can let me know what ya'll think....kim :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, what a sad day for you. Your grandma lived a nice long life and she is in a very happy place right now. I know it's very hard, but know she's with God right now and she found peace and happiness.

Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister passing. I'm so close to both my sisters, I couldn't imagine my life without them. I understand exactly how you feel and like Tracy said, who gives a hoot what anyone else thinks, have that baby and enjoy it, it will be a happy day when it's born!

I like Cricket, she seems to have a gentle nature. I'll bet she'll make a fine mother. I'm sure your sister is there with you in spirit and is having as much fun as you are with the pregnancy. Thank you for sharing your photo with us. I'm looking forward to seeing that new baby of yours!

Emma, welcome, welcome. I love you mare! She is so pretty. I love the picture of her nose to nose over the fence.

I know how nervous you are about this pregnancy, but I believe in my heart your mare will be just fine and you'll have a healthy foal. Positive pregnancy vibes going your way.

Well everyone, have a wonderful day & stay warm.

Marilyn

Yearling

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, I hope if something happens to me someone will care for my animals in such a loving way! I would be sooooo happy for one of my family to feel that way about Topi.

Tracy, my thoughts are with you. God bless your grandma and your family. My grandma is 95 and so interested in Topi. Most of her interest I'm sure is because she knows how much I'm excited about Topi's baby.

Cindy , glad to hear Cricket is getting slimmer. Don't you feel bad to watch their food intake when they seem so hungry, supporting the growing baby and all. I too am having to really cut Topi's from what I'd like to give her. I feed her about 1 1/2 pounds two times daily of Strategy and about 2 leafs of hay. She can graze 24/7 but the grass is giving out. She also gets mare plus. My other horses are getting more than she is. But, I was checking her out and she looks good to me. A little topline, not much, tailhead, withers, neck are not scrawny. Hard to tell about ribs cause of baby belly and I heard with the belly dragging it will pronounce the ribs some. Hers aren't real defined right now.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy...Glad the vet confirmed that you are doing great with Cricket:-) Your sister must have been at peace knowing that you would love her "baby" like you do. A foal wanted and much anticipated and loved is never a bad thing. Most people do not think before they speak hence the old foot in the mouth trick....surround yourself with true supporters and cheerleaders and spend your time and energy on you and things that give you satisfaction. Hugs~Jan

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

~Tracy~ Hugs & prayers as you reflect and celebrate you Grandmothers life.....she was lucky to have a grandaughter like you~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone, yesterday was very hard and I still am having my moments of grief but as everyone has said, she is in a better place now after living a long life. The thing that really gets me thru this is her husband died 45 years ago, she never remarried or even dated so now I know she is finally back with her one true love. Really, how more romantic can it be! Thanks again everyone for your support.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Tracy. We're like your extended family here. I'm here weither you like it or not, just like family. (Just kidding) :-)

Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi guys, thank you so much for all of your support, it really means a lot, my vet told me yesterday, it's been a long time since he has seen someone so enthused about a pregnancy, he always laughs when he comes out here, he can't believe that iam this excited about this whole pregnancy, he's very nice and understands this is a first for me, i told him about this site, and he said its a great idea to get all the info on this as much as i can, i just think its great to talk to others that are going through the same thing you are, the emotions, and everything.
thanks again.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy: My Becky is due on the 7th of April. I will try to get some new pictures of her tomorrow so we can compare. This will be her 3rd foal. Her first was a bay paint, second was a buckskin paint, and the third will probably be a buckskin paint as well. She is bred to my stallion who is a perlino homo tobi. You can see pictures of them on my website www.djscoloredcorral.com

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEBBIE,WHAT COLOR IS BECKY?HAVE YOU EVER BRED YOUR STALLION TO A BLK/WHT TOBIANO AND IF SO WHAT COLOR WAS THE FOAL?IAM ASKING THIS BECAUSE I HAVE A BLK/WHT TOBIANO BRED TO A CREMELO,THANKS

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy: Becky is a bay. She is homo for tobiano and for bay, so I will either get a buckskin (75%) or a palomino from this cross with my stallion. Both horses are homozygous for tobiano, so the resulting foal will be homozygous as well (100% paint)

My stallion is a perlino, which is double dilute, two creme genes and a red and black gene.

The resulting foal will have one dilute gene plus whatever color gene it gets, be that EE for black, or Ee for black, or ee for red.

The cremello stallion you ask about will give you two creme genes as well, but only red ee for color.

You dont say whether your black and white tobi is homo for black, so it could be EE or Ea and the cremello is eeCrCr.

The resulting foal will be smokey black, bucksin or palomino if your b/w tobi has a red gene.

There is a color calculator mentionned someplace on here, i think its on the genetics link. You can put in colors and other info of the sire and dam and get color results. Its fun to play with and can answer some of your questions.

Deb

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks debbie.i have checked out that color web site,it was fun.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Judy. I find the genetics part of breeding a very interesting part. It took me a while to understand it all, but I have the basics down now. Dont ask me about overos or sabinos or roans... thats out of my league still and Ive been researching the genetics of color for two years now.

Basics Homozygous black is EE, which means that your horse will never have a sorrel (red based) foal.

Heterozygous black is Ee horse can have a sorrel based foal even though the mare is black

Creme gened dilute CRCR two creme genes as found in cremellos and perlinos.

Red base is ee, chestnut, sorrel

throw the creme gene in to the black mix, you get a buckskin EeCr, smokey black EECr and toss the creme in with a red base, and you get a palomino eeCr.

Its fun to know what you could get in different combinations.

For example, my mare Becky is homozygous bay, homozygous tobiano, her genetics are EeAATT

AA is homozygous for Agouti, which means that she will never have a black bodied foal. All black will be relegated to the tips (mane, ears, tail) E, one black and e one red gene, and TT homozygous tobiano

My Stallion is Perlino Homozygous Tobiano, not homo for black, so he is EeCrCRTT Ee is for Perlino, ee he would be cremello... then two doses of creme CrCr and TT for homozygous tobiano.

from the combination of genes from the parents we know my resulting foal will be TT guaranteed paint homozygous for tobiano.

We know it will have one Cr creme gene as the perlino will throw a creme gene to every foal.

It could be EECr, or EeCr, both of which will give me a buckskin, or it could be eeCr, which will give me the palomino.

Since my mare is homozygous for Agouti AA, I wont get a smokey black out of that combination, which would have been possible if she was not homozygous for bay.

Once you break down the possibilities, its not too hard to figure out what the resulting foal colors can be.

Deb

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Debbie, how about crossing a cremello to a Dun. Don't duns carry the dilute gene also?

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene: I dont know much about duns, but I think the word dun is also exchanged with the word dilute in some areas.

I understand the word dun as a kind of dilute, such as lineback duns and grullos.

Lineback duns are dilutes with primitive markings such as dorsal stripes or zebra stripes and striping on legs with color that stretches into the mane and tail of the horse.

Most people around here refer to duns as zebra duns or zebras for short. Zebras have black points and primitive markings with bodies that are tan in color. Zebras also have darker head colors than body colors.

A cremello has the same body and mane and tail color throughout. This is one difference between the two.

A cross between a cremello and a red dun could give you a zebra dun, a palomino or a buckskin. You can also get a grullo and a smokey black if the black genes fall the right way.

A cross between a cremello and a zebra dun will usually give you a zebra dun with an occasional buckskin.

I think duns are modified by the Dn allele. On a black horse, the Dn allele causes the horse to be a slate blue grey, and a red body to lighten to tan on bays or light red on chestnuts. This same Dn allele keeps the points on the horse dark as well as the head being darker than the body of the horse.

You might try asking about the difference between dun and dilute on the genetic link.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Debbie, where is the genetic link?

JENNY BADER
Nursing Foal
Username: Katiearab

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is at day 162, when might I beable to feel and see movement of the fetus? She is due May 21, 2008

JENNY BADER
Nursing Foal
Username: Katiearab

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OPPS miscalced the gestation she is at day 166 which probably doesn't make that much differance

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny: I usually dont see much movement until after 8 months along. My mare last year I hardly saw anything at all until the last few weeks. It depends on the mare, how many foals she has had, how big the foal is, etc, but I wouldnt really start looking for anything definite until around 8 months.

Deb

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene: by the genetic link I mean the topic of genetics on the subject menu. :-)

Deb

Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tizprime2/100_1929.jpg[/IMG]
hi guys, well, here she is at 71/2 months. is she getting that baby belly yet? can you guys tell? it has been so muddy here, i finally said i have to get these pics. anybody else have pics? i know dice is getting really big, and baby?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at that baby belly :-) I am thinking colt? :-)

judy cervantes
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOOHHH, YES CINDY SHE HAS A BABY BELLY,SHE LOOKS GREAT,AND BIGGER THAN THE LAST PICTURE I SAW.HOW EXCIDING...

Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys, iam hoping colt, i have always had mares, and would like a colt, i would love it either way, but, would prefere a colt, is everybody's mares doing good? she's actually getting a little better with the mood changes, not so grouchy anymore.

Debbie Behling
Neonate
Username: Rockybottomranch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a maiden mare (Dutchess) that is due March 2nd. This isn't just her first baby, it's mine too. It was sooo nice to see others as anxious, nervous, and excited as me. Her pregnancy has been un-eventful until last week (day 254 to be exact). She started playing with her food instead of eating it, was laying down a lot (with lots of gas!) and I noticed a lot of wrinkling where her udder will be. Now, (day 260) she's eating normal, but those wrinkles have developed into "sacs". Is that normal? Here are some timeline photos up to day 230. I'll try to get updated ones soon.
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/rockybottomranch/?action=view&current=Du tchess105days.jpg
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/rockybottomranch/?action=view&current=Du tchess-157daysp2.jpg
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/rockybottomranch/?action=view&current=Du tchess-230daysp2.jpg}

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Debbie! Your mare is very cute and round, looks pregnant! :-)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the board. First baby! How exciting! Get ready for a rollercoaster ride with pretty much every emotion the human can experience. It's the best! I know that my mare would start to develop her udder approximately 6 weeks or so before she foaled. An un-eventful pregnancy is a very WELCOMED thing.

Keep us posted!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US