SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Diarrhea in Two Day Old Foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 2 » Diarrhea in Two Day Old Foal « Previous Next »

Merissa
Nursing Foal
Username: Merissa

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first day my foal was born she was passing a good amount of meconium and everything seemed to be going fine. Today her stools are pretty runny - almost like strait liquid and butterscotch in color. She is not as playfull as yesterday.. she gets up to nurse, walks around a bit, then goes back to bed. The vet and another breeder I talked to said this is normal just because she is not used to milk and it is probably pretty rich for her (We are feeding pretty rich hay) I'm just getting concerned because of her lack of playfulness. I am waiting from a phone call from a different vet right now, but until then any help would be great!

Sandy Smith
Yearling
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you wormed the mare with ivermectrin? I had a filly that had scours for 3 weeks and as soon as I wormed the mama, the scours stopped. The foal will still get scours during foal heat, but that's 9-11 days after foaling.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would both worm the mare and give the foal Probios.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is your foals temperature?

Jennifer Graef
Weanling
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a repro forum and no one has said give Pepto yet? Go get a big bottle of pepto bismol. Give about 20 ccs every 3 hours until the stools harden. That is your FIRST action...then think about worming for threadworms and giving probios. A foal that young can NOT handle this for very long.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found Probios to work faster than pepto type stuff. We don't use the name brand Pepto I use some other stuff called Gastro Cote. You also have to be very careful with stuff like pepto that you don not stop them up too much and give them colic.

Dusty Housh
Yearling
Username: Belles_momma

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be a dumb question. But why do foals get scours during foal heat? My filly is 5 days old. She had some butterscotch colored diarehea but it stopped on wednesday. Thanks

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand it is not caused by the mare at all it is just changes in the foal's GI tract which causes it. Dumb timing! I had an orphan a few years ago get it!

Merissa
Nursing Foal
Username: Merissa

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all your help guys! I ended up giving her some Kaopectate and she was feeling a lot better by night time and today she was back to her normal self.. run, buck, eat, sleep! Not just eat and sleep. Her temp was normal and I had just wormed the mare that day, maybe the wormer was hard to the foal's stomach too?

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah I worm every mare the day they foal and have yet to have it upset the foal.

Dusty Housh
Yearling
Username: Belles_momma

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy--what do you worm your mares with? my vet told me to wait until Lilly is 2 weeks old before I worm Jill. Then she said to use strongid.

Nancy McGee
Breeding Stock
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusty I gave ivermectin on day 2

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worm with Ivermectrin day one.

Jennifer Graef
Weanling
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepto or Kaopectate are what you give to a very young foal that has diarrhea immediatly and without question. Probios are good in general but are not a valid treatment for a foal that is showing signs of stress from having loose stools. It takes at least days and more likely a week to establish a culture in the GI tract that will be of any benefit. And, a normal foal gets dosed by their natural tendency to eat their mother's poop. Also, a healthy culture will not be established in a foal that has diarrhea. It will just be squirted out with no chance to take hold. It is best to give probios after the runs have been stopped so that they can establish. This is true in every species. Anytime an animal is treated with antibiotics it also needs a dose AFTER the treatment has stopped.

It is recommended that you worm a mare 1 week before foaling by most vets, not post foaling. The mass shedding/die-off that results from worming can have toxic effects on a foal. It is also not good practice to introduce a toxic substance into the body of an animal that has just recieved a big insult. A recovery period is best.

And, it is currently being studied...but there is a theory that worming a horse right after foaling passes only ivermectin resistant worms on to the foal and the foal develops an more serious issue then if it had recieved both resistant and non-resistant worms in the milk. This is just a theory though.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told to give peptom bismal as well as 1/2 cup plain yogurt am and pm(be sure it is the kind with live cultures~ L.bacillis acidopholus) for the entire time the foal has loose stools to keep healthy bacteria in the gut, and even a couple days after, and give probios.

Britnie Ann
Nursing Foal
Username: Britnie

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, I've never heard of worming the mare before, always right after she foals. Do you know of any websites supporting this? What you say does make sense!
Although in my case, not knowing the due date, it'd be pretty impossible.

(Message edited by britnie on April 20, 2007)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US