SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal growth in the womb!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 2 » Foal growth in the womb! « Previous Next »

Hannah Mills
Yearling
Username: Hkvmills

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry guys, probably the wrong thread, but i have a friend with a mare in foal. I am just looking for the link to websites about foetal growth, but i cant seem to find them, can anyone help? I know some people put up some really useful web pages! Her mare is now 6 months gone and she wants to know what the baby looks like, how big etc!

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple I always like to check out:
http://www.eagleridge-twh.com/fetus1.htm

although this second one is the mini fetus but it still helps in determining the size of a full size horse fetus:
http://www.geocities.com/crayonboxminis/developmentminifetus.html

Hannah Mills
Yearling
Username: Hkvmills

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Kassie, there were a couple more links that were put up, anyone else remember them!?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie- thanks, I wanted to see that one too, we're up to rabbit size in our barn !!! ( except for Sophie and she's a month ahead of everyone else. It's going to take a LONG time for April to roll back around I'm afraid!

JANE OLNEY
Neonate
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone! I was given a 13 yr old mare who has had 4 babies in the past to use for my daughter (until we want to give her back). We have had so much fun riding together this summer! My 11 yr old daughter has become excited about riding and even started jumping cross poles a few weeks ago. This mare is a very nice mare but has had some problems with moon blindness in the past. The owner wanted to have her retire at my place. She felt she couldn't sell her "sound". Well she was pastured with a whole herd of horses on 20 acres. When I saw her in May she was very fat. I was told that she definately was not pregnant. I brought her home and started her diet. She was given pasture time with no hay, and if I was giving hay because of low pasture, I would stall my 19 yr old and keep her away from all of his hay, with her getting just a little. By now, she looks better in the chest area and the butt, but her belly just keeps getting bigger. Within the last few weeks I have decided that she is definately pregnant. I have seen her pin her ears for the first time recently...at my dog. I can feel the baby. This AM I was feeling it and it moved quite well, she swished her tail and looked back at me thinking I did something to her! The vet comes out the 7th for a check. There definately is no teat swelling. I have been checking those girls off and on all summer! OK, here are my questions....
I live in Michigan. I didn't think horses went into heat here so that they would foal in Nov, Dec or Jan. My mare is looking heavy and awkward on the hocks in the rear, and I can definately feel the baby and see the baby move. A mare that foaled in the past that I have had was this way late in her pregnancy. I really expect to see her start to bag up soon. What do you guys have to say? I will try to get a pict posted of her. She is a red roan appy...is more flea bitten with varnishing. She is 14.3 hands and didn't have a grumpy bone in her body until recently. Her daddy was a leopard appy. The young stallion that she lived with was gelded the day before I picked her up! He is a dark grey shire cross.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane- if she was running with a young stud, she could be bred and it doesn't take but one warm day to make a baby, remember, it's the hours of daylight not the warmth that actually causes the heat cycles to begin. I'd have your vet check her, be sure and post if you have a baby on the way! Good luck, Ev

JANE OLNEY
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev-Thanks for posting. I have just drunk in the postings under all the topics on this board. I have frustrations when the topic ends without an ending or a baby. I found that I can search for people's names and find out the rest of the story. Yes, I will definately post back next week after the vet visit. If Amber is not pg I am going to be shamed. I am a registered nurse! If she is pregnant I want to keep all you guys informed of her progress. I have lots of baby questions about training and management.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, welcome to the board. And we would love to see pictures of your possibly pregnant mare. Lets hope for some good news on the 7th. It is so much fun waiting but it is also very tiring and frustrating at the same time. I have one mare that is just over 7 months now, she should foal in Feb. I am starting to nitice movement in her also. I can't wait!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane- you're very welcome, good luck with the mare. It's possible to have a fine healthy foal in the fall months, depending on where you are, it might be wise to have her stalled when she gets close to foaling time. (babies can get frost bitten ears being born in the cold) Our first mare is due in March, we'll have a heat lamp in the stall with her most likely, March in Kansas can be very chilly!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another site. This one shows the real size of foals with comparisons to other objects. It is not for the faint of heart as these are aborted fetuses at various stages of development.

Deb

http://www.nemr.net/~ccason/index.fetus.htm

JANE OLNEY
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone! I posted up above. My daughter (11 yrs) and I took her mare to the vet on Tuesday. She is in foal! I was not crazy! I let my daughter cut school for the visit. Amber stood for the palp without drugs with only one step to the side. What a good girl. The thought is that she is 7 or 8 mos. Poor thing, she was on a diet all summer. Today instead of 1 handful of grain for a fat girl, she got two! I already have my husband and sons on to the horse cam and heat lamp. It looks like it will be a February baby. Anyone have any problems with a pregnant mare in winter snow falling with subsequent problems? She has full access to her stall and the pastures. My two tend to stay in on bad days. On good days (snow still on the ground) I throw hay around outside so they have to hunt for it for exercise. I guess I will switch to the 2007 foal section for my next post.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US