SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Sabino X Sabino ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Sabino X Sabino ? « Previous Next »

Lori
Neonate
Username: Shstables

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stud is a minimal bay sabino. He is a clyde with a big blaze white lower lip two high whites on the hind legs and a "butterfly" on his belly. My mare is also a minimal sabino. Her base color is chestnut and she has the sooty gene. She has a big blaze, front socks and high white stockings on the hinds. She also has white speckles on her belly and around her udder.
So my question is what can this cross produce? Will I always get a sabino? What are the chances of the sooty gene being expressed? What about a maximum sabino? Is that possible from this combination?
Also for the stud - how often does the sabino gene pass down? Will it affect solid colored mares? How so?

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori all purebreed Clydes & Shires are sabino so I would guess they pass it 100% of the time.
What breed is your mare? I have seen two minamally expressed sabinos produce maximal offspring.
What breed is your mare? There has not been much research of the sooty gene, but I would quess it would depend if she is homozygous or not.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - My friend keeps and shows shires, she also has one clyde, She was considering breeding from her young colt in the future, and also out of one of her shire mares - Im interested to know what the sabino gene is, could somebody explain it to me please ?

Kim

Lori
Neonate
Username: Shstables

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy ~ I did not know that all were sabino.
My mare is an anglo-arab. She is 5/8 arab out of and 3/8 TB/paint. She is a firecracker! The drop of paint only shows in color.

The sabino gene is linked with certain white marking patterns. I believe that in one of the recent post there is a link to the APHA color genetic site. It has a great description of the sabino gene and how it affects the color pattern.

Also there is a new foal who is a maximal sabino and his pictures can be seen in one of the posts here too. He is really interesting.

How often do you see maximal sabinos? It appears to be very rare. Is it associated with lethal white at all??

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori!!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori crossing two sabinos always gives a greater chance of max. but I haven't seen it happen all that often.
There a a number of different genes in the sabino group. The test that UK does for sabino is for the gene that is common in TWHs. Clydes test neg. even though they all are.
Sabino is very common in the arab breed, but you don't see many max. arabs.
While sabino, splash, and frame are all grouped together under overo it is the frame gene that carries the lethal white gene.

Dona Neargarder
Neonate
Username: Kickapoominis

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only testing done currently is for the Sabino 1 gene. That is the Sabino gene that can cause "Max White Sabinos". As someone already mentioned, Clydes test negative for that particular Sabino gene...so theoretically, it would be impossible to get a Max White Clydesdale.

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes I agree with Dona but one thing I think you will see in this cross is alot of roaning on the flanks and under belly white My mare this year was a minimal expressed sabino and she was bred to a tobiano, sabino expresses alot of roaning when two sabinos with belly white are bred together very common among clydsdales.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US