SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Red Dun Or Dunolino Colt?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Red Dun Or Dunolino Colt? « Previous Next »

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1:00 this morning our grulla mare had a very white/creme colored colt with a ton of dunfactor- his mane is red but his tail is white and red. His sire is a buckskin. Here are some pics of him. Does anyone have any pictures of red dun foals they could post so I could see? I will have him tested to see if he carries the creme gen soon, but wanted to see what you thought too.
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Briosnewcolt4-29-060052.j pg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Briosnewcolt4-29-062003.j pg[/IMG]

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy Love the color of him!! Out of curiousity could he end up being a perlino??

Very nice looking colt what ever he ends up to be

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy- I'd guess you would be correct just looking at him, he appears to be a red dun with the cream gene as well. You'll have to be sure to post when you get the test results. Unless your grulla mare carries the creme gene, and then I'd guess he could be a perlino. (which is what he really looks like, I just didn't think that was genetically possible out of a grulla mare)

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His mother is a grullo by a grullo stud by a buckskin & a dun, her dam is a sorrel. The colt has dark blue eyes, not light blue eyes. I will attach new pictures of him outside.[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Briosnewcoltoutside004.jp g[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Briosnewcoltoutside007.jp g[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Briosnewcoltoutside009.jp g[/IMG]

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy- I'd have to say he's a dunalino if I had to guess.. I'll be interested to see what he looks like under that foal coat. We had a palomino filly born that almost lookse cremella, but she has big, dark eyes, I'll post photos of her soon, she's a cutie.

Megan A Brown
Yearling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a red dunfilly from last year.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/fabmeg/BabyHorses021.jpg
And here is a dunalino colt, he has a white mane and tail, so he would be typical palimino with out the dun. http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/fabmeg/LAcey.jpg

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay gals, now I always thought a buckskin to buckskin would get you either a perlino or cremella depending on the parents genetics. Not 100% of the time but enough that your odds are high on that result. And would Ev not be correct by saying that your grullo has to carry a cream gene, which would she not is her one parents is a buckskin? So could he not end up being a perlino in the end after he sheds out his coat?

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am filling out the DNA form and was wondering besides the creme gene what should I test for? Red Factor or Agouti if either even applies?

Jennifer
Nursing Foal
Username: Kidchaser5

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get the Red Factor/Agouti test, it only counts as one test. Just in case you didn't know.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer that is only through UCDavis. All the other labs charge for red and agouti seperate.

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Palomino colt that a lot of people thought could be a cremello, but he's not. He has dark blue eyes too. Can they stay this way? I've never seen a horse with dark blue eyes? His sisters over a month and has dark blue eyes. He's really light with a white mane and tail.

Megan A Brown
Yearling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the little dunalino colt who's pic I poasted he had quite blue eyes as a baby but by three months they had gone brown.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy- this is an interesting puzzle you've given us. The colt certainly looks to be perlino with dun factor, but I don't know if that is genetically possible. If I understand how these things work, he would have had to have gotten a creme' gene from both parents. The mare ( a grulla ) to be a true grulla would be a black based horse with dun factor, the creme' gene on a black based horse does not show through usually. It is conceiveable that she could have carried that gene from her buckskin grandsire but the stallion would have had to carry it and pass it on to her as her mother was sorrel so there could be no creme' gene from that direction. As far as testing your colt, I think the red factor is a given, the question is does he carry the creme' gene?? the dun factor is pretty evident too. Can they tell if he's a double dillute? I don't know too much about the actual testing and what is available. Ev.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy does your little colt not look like this some??http://www.equinecolorspecialties.com/
Except for the fact yours has a dun stripe the coloring is similar.

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I saw that stallion, I noticed his orange mane and it is the same hue as my colt but shouldn't he have light blue eyes if he was actually a perlino? I will send in the test right now and just order the creme test. If for some reason he he comes back a perlino than I will send more hair in to see if he is homozygous for black. Either way I just need to know how to market him, since he is worth more as a dunolino than as a red dun and if he really turned out to be a perlino with dun factor than I might just not even sell him.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy- he's something unique and special, that's for sure. I agree with you though, I believe Perlino's have blue eyes usually, that too makes me believe he's a dunalino instead. Either way, he is likely to be a color producer, if he has a good pedigree to go with that loud color, he's likely to bring a pretty penny if you decide to sell him.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy when I look back at the photos of your mare and foal. The mare looks like she has white mane hairs? If she has enough would that not class her as having a creme gene. Her coat color as well is on the lighter side of grullo. Which to me would make me think that she does carrie some sort of creme gene? Not sure if this is correct or not, just my opinion. Here is another site for you about the creme genes: http://www.doubledilute.com/color-chart.htm
It may help some???

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The colts mom is actually a silver grulla/blue roan- her sire is Snipper Music- which also was a grullo/blue roan, you can see him at http://www.lynnsquarterhorses.com/snipper-music.htm
the sire is a 94% NFQHA buckskin named Chex 2000 out of Utah. As you well know it has sure been a colt year and now we have three colts to sell and one filly, I am praying the last baby of the year is a filly!

Tansy Brassfield
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got the DNA results back and he does carry one copy of the creme gene, so he is a dunolino. I have decided to sell him since I really do not need another stud around here and am going to focus on promoting my silver grullo stallion next year.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US