SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Greying Foals - Do mane and tail ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Greying Foals - Do mane and tail ? « Previous Next »

Lee
Nursing Foal
Username: Leejon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a new Black Base Foal Colt. He is already showing signs of greying out (only a few hrs old)
His Mane and tail are also Black.
Will those also grey to White eventually?

Dam is almost White (flea bitten) and her Mane and tail are White

Thanks

Megan A Brown
Weanling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remeber right grey is a little hard to perdict,it's a gene with variable penetrice. It will probably change as he ages but I think if his mom has a white mane and tail and he is already going grey, he will probably eventually have a white mane and tail.

Lee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks
Just trying to find a suitable name for him. He was a phantom pregnancy...lol to some ( I would like to name him accordingly. but if he keeps the grey mane and tail (Casper or Boo dont seem so appropriate)hmmmm decisions that last a lifetime (it was easier to name my children)

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee- I would expect that your colt will eventually go totally gray ( mane and tail included ) I have a colt that is going gray in reverse. His tail is salt and pepper now as a yearling but I cannot seen any gray in his coat yet..lol. Casper is a cute name.. mine's name is Chaos.. which spawned from his behaviour rather than his coloring. Ev

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sheez, sorry for the gramatical errors, I'm still not awake this morning.

Lee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much, we have decided on

"Glory's Trixter PeekABOO"

to be called "Trixter"

I of course will call him "BOO" "my adorabooable baby BOO"

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like help with knowing if my mini filly will grey out. My mare foaled May 15. I think the foal will grey out, but what color will the mane and tail be?
see her on the site
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/MBCricket2006fillymini/
See her sire on the site as well GREY MINI STUD
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/MBminihorses/
take care
MELISSA

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa does the foal have any grey hair around her eyes? That is a good indication if they will or not although sometimes it takes a bit for them to show up.
Eventially all greys will become white over time, so even if her mane and tail stay black for a long time in the end they will also turn grey

Jan Owen
Yearling
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,

Very cute baby girl! My 3 year old was born dark bay with black points. He stayed that way for over a year, around his second year we began to see some grey hairs in the main and tail and a few in his coat. This year's shed his whole face is grey the rest of his body is still pretty much bay with black socks. Grey is a funny gene. His mom took 8 years to turn grey. Sometimes it is quick and sometimes not. He had black rings around his eyes....I know that grey is dominant and if she has the grey gene she will turn grey. Love those greys!

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy,
The foal looks like she has greys around her eyes.
My vet came to check her blood work on Tues., he thinks she will grey out as well.
you can see her at
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/MBCricket2006fillymini/
JanO. I have two other grey mini as well.
Thank you all for your help.
TAKE CARE,
melissa

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US