SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

A conformation question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » A conformation question « Previous Next »

Samantha Cole
Neonate
Username: Sam04

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a pinto mare who has had two foals by a lovely bay welsh stallion that belongs to my Mom. The mare is over on her knees which looks relatively awkward while she's standing, but does not seem to affect her movement as she has beautiful gaits and a graceful jump. The first foal she had was a bay who turned out to be a very nice two-year-old before we sold her. The second was a pinto who we sold as a yearling (don't know what she ended up looking like). She was an amazing foal in every respect but as she aged, she started to go over on her knees, just like the mare.

I'm thinking about breeding her again in the next few years, but I'm wondering if perhaps it would be better to avoid the possibility of a conformationally flawed horse. There are already so many, many unwanted horses out there. She's such a lovely mare, though, and both foals had all of her good traits passed on. What would you guys do in my position? Breed her anyway or wait for a better broodmare to come along?

Sara B
Nursing Foal
Username: Countercanter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't breed her if you have already seen that she can pass this on.

I have a TB mare however who is over at the knee and she never passes it on.

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over at the knee is better than back at the knee, esp. for a jumper. At lot of jumpers at my barn don't consider over in their TB's a serious fault.

You are the best judge for your mare. It also depends on your breeding goals. I would think about what you want to breed, and go from there. There are a lot of horses that need homes, but I understand where you are at.

I bought a TB mare who is toed in, it's below the fetlock, and I had reason to believe it was an old injury not an inheritied conformation. I rolled the dice, and my filly has straight legs.

Good luck!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be those darned TBs : ) mine is long toed and dropped heel (she has navicular) I didnt know when I bred her, so fingers crossed my baby has good hooves!

I, personally, probably would not have bred her if I had been aware that her long toes would create such a problem, but I don know her son - (now 8yo) does not have her feet! and he is jumping at shows quite successfully : )

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's and interesting link on heritability.

http://www.hanoverian.com/ludwigherit.html

According to statistics, leg conformation is not reproducibly inherited unless the conformation problem originates from the frame of the horse. Environment plays such a major role in lower limb development, that it masks genetic effects.

Depending on whether you are an optimist you could take this to mean your mare might not pass it on. Or as a pessimist, breeding to a stallion with correct limbs will not improve your offsprings conformation.

Good luck!

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
I find your TB mares problem interesting. If she is long in the toes and has low heels is this not something that can be corrected by corrective trimming? I was reading a site I found which had some interesting ideas on making a foundered horse sound again sipply by corrective trimming. It might help with your mare. Maybe it is worth having a read yourself. They were having great results. here is the link. www.naturalhorsetrim.com/Section_19_full.htm Have a good look around the site, there are lots of cases or horses who had very severe problems who have been made completly sound. I would think that your mare wouldn't pass that trait on.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma - Thankyou for the site that you have posted. I am really grateful that you thought of me and my mare and that you were able to add something to my knowledge, Thankyou again!

At the moment my farrier is putting natural balance shoes on her fronts to change the point of roll over on her hooves to further back behind her toes, he cuts her bars back and shortens her toes - From everything that I have seen, I am actually quite confused. And the x-rays I had her diagnosed from did not actually show anything on the navicular bone itself, it is a confirmation fault that has caused the navicular - I dont really understand as well as I would like and have put my faith in the vet and farrier to do the right thing!! Once baby is born, I will take time to learn more of her problem specifically in order to make her sound again (then I can pump the herbs I have bought into her) She is still lame but not uncomfortable and it has been about 9mths now so I really would like to try something else (ANything else!!) to make her better. Thankyou for your help Emma. : )

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US