SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bay Arab Stud with Chestnut Mare, what can I expect?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Bay Arab Stud with Chestnut Mare, what can I expect? « Previous Next »

Michael kling
Neonate
Username: Mkling

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a chestnut POA cross pony Mare. Shes bred to a Bay Arab stallion. what colors are possible?
I dont know the lineage on either horse whatsoever. She should foal soon as she looks like shes gonna explode. What size should the foal mature to about? the pony mare is about 11 1/2 hands not sure about the stud, but prolly about 14 hands or so. thanks

SDS
Weanling
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 2 bay mares one out of a chestnut stallion/bay mare and one out of a bay stallion/chestnut mare,they are both Arabs.But really its an either/or result,depending on what coloring is in the back grounds.I would venture to guess the foal would be slightly bigger than the mare but that is also hard to say some are smaller some are larger.I bred a shetland pony mare to a 15hd Arab stallion,and the colt ended up being about 14 hands.Good luck hope you get the coloring you are after.

Sara B
Neonate
Username: Countercanter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could get bay, chestnut, or (rarely) black depending on the agouti status of the sire and dam.

Size is pretty much up to nature... you'll just have to wait and see! Logically we want to think that the foal will be midway between the sire and dam and quite probably it will end up somewhere between their two heights but it could surprise you.

Mike
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the input.I'll be happy with any color as long as its healthy. I want it to grow to a good size so I could ride it, but I will prolly still need to find a larger horse for myself. I just hope this foal comes soon. Every day I think shes starting in labor. shes been bagging up for 4 weeks now and showing all the signs except waxing.

Mike
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got our Foal this morning! I was very surprised with the color. I'm thinking hes a Grulla. I could be wrong though. Grulla would be possible though, right? not sure how to post pics here, so I'll try a link to another board I put pictures on. lemme know what you all think.
http://groups.msn.com/WisconsinHorses/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID _Message=167014&LastModified=4675565794973928002

thanks

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't get the pictures without joining the group so didn't see them. To be grulla he would have to have one dun parent.
Black is a possibility because of the bay stallion. Most black foals are born a mousy color, also they can have countershading that looks like a dorsal stripe.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, the link to the photos require you to be a member. So maybe you could go to www.photobucket.com There is a free account there and its easy to do. There is no posting pics here on equine reprod. as photos take up alot of space.

Kim

Mike
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is Black. it did look like he had a dorsal strip but now that hes all fluffed out, it looks like he'll shed to black. I'll go to photo bucket and get some pics on for your to see.

Mike
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres some links , I hope they work.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/mkling1/Darwinpics0013.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/mkling1/Darwinpics032.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/mkling1/Darwinpics017.jpg

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes he looks to be black. What a cut little guy!!!! I could hug him.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awe, he is sooo cute. Black ??

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike- You have a pocket sized foal how adorable!! You just want to pick um up and squeeze!!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my! Isnt he just tiny!! What breed is his sire? Do you know?

And congratulations : )

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps sorry I just read again and saw the breeding! Doh!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US