SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Paint/Pinto to Solid Genetics help please!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Paint/Pinto to Solid Genetics help please! « Previous Next »

Diana Post
Neonate
Username: Blondana

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello! I have a Bay Arab mare with a blaze and two feet white. Her mother was solid bay, father with blaze and feet. She is bred to an Arab Pinto stud that has a high amount of white. I dont know if the stud is homozygous but I think he has thrown mostly white spotting. What will I get?
Also - is the gene for the blaze and white feet different than the gene for paint/pinto body spotting? Are both dominant or is the paint gene recessive?
Thanks!!!!
}}

Jenn
Yearling
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, I will try to help you out.

OK, I need more info. I tried to explain things, but there were too many variables and the post got very long and confusing.

Do you know what "paint/pinto" pattern the stud is? If you are not sure, this page may help.
http://www.apha.com/breed/geneticeq.html

To answer your last question, yes they are different genes. And, yes they are all dominant, if the horse carrys the gene it will show. If they are heterozygous for the gene they will pass it on to offspring 50% of the time. If homozygous, 100% of the time.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not true in a overo, they can carry the gene and it not show.

Jenn
Yearling
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Kim, you are incorrect. Sometimes in Overos the the markings are minimal and tied in with other markings (legs and face) but they are there.

(Message edited by jenn on February 04, 2006)

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ, you can have a solid colored breeding stock throw a color baby. I have seen a solid breeding stock overo mare bred to a frame overo throw a lethel white baby.So the overo does not need to be seen.

Diana P
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK - Here is my website I made of my two Arab girls. At the bottom is a photo of the stud. Maybe you can tell me what pattern he is. I think he is Tobiano.

THANK YOU!!!!

http://www.exoticshorthairs.com/HadasandMaja.html

(Message edited by blondana on February 04, 2006)

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,
he does appear to be a toby, but without seeing the other side of his head I can't say for sure. If the coloring is the same, and I mean the same then yes. If the white comes over his eye and cuts up to his neck or if white extends down the face and makes a line past the corner of his eye to the corner of his mouth then he could be a tovero. Here is a link to apha to the tovero picture you can see the white on his face and jaw line. http://www.apha.com/breed/tovero.html
I would guess that the stud you have posted is a toby, but seeing the other side of his head is not shown its impossible to say yes as with the wild patterns of the paint combos almost anything is possible.

(Message edited by kimk on February 05, 2006)

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry I don't know why it didnt' link. I will try again.
http://www.apha.com/breed/tovero.html

Diana P
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is a Tobiano - what I wanted to know if I would get a solid color or any white spotting on the baby. From what I read on the link it looks like a 50% chance of getting a paint as the white blaze and socks does not constitute a white spotting factor in my mare.

melissa
Yearling
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I breed my black and white tobiano mare to a solid bay breeding stock paint stud last year. My mare is on the site www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
I don't have a picture of the stud on me, we sold him last year. The stud was bay with blaze face and white on legs like your mares. We need to send each other pictures of the foals from this mares. My mare is the black and white tobiano and your stud is the black and white tobiano. My mare is due April 20,2006
Melissa

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US