SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mini Bay horse breed mini gray stud what color could we have?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Mini Bay horse breed mini gray stud what color could we have? « Previous Next »

melissa
Neonate
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What color do you think we could have from a mini bay mare breed to our gray stud. My bay mare parents dam is chestnut and sire sorrel. Grandparents were Chestnut dam parents were solid white sire and solid sorrel.Grandparents Sorrel sire parents was chestnut pinto and palomino.
Thanks Melissa

Cathy
Yearling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way to tell is knowing what color the base color of the grey was

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, I have noticed in the mini world, that horses who are thought of as "gray" are not gray at all. Miniature horse registries will actually list "gray" as the base coat color of horses... not meaning the greying gene.
I had a mini mare who was actually a silver black, black base with the silver dilution gene,(she was also a pinto) and her papers said that her color was gray & white pinto.
So when I hear miniature horse owners refer to their horses as "gray", I always question whether or not they are really meaning the greying gene as it is known in the "big" horse world.
Miniature horse owners will often refer to their horses who actually do have the greying gene, as "white" horses.
I really wish the miniature horse registries would quit using the base color of "gray" for color descriptions, it is very misleading.

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy and Cathy,
My gray stud was born red at birth and turn gray does this help you.My stud looks gray with red color hairs in the gray, since the hair is long for the winter.I have the stud's sister as well, she was born red at birth as well turn gray with alot my red in her hair. Some people think the filly is roan not gray when they visit us.Both papers say this mini's are gray horses. My bay mare was born bay at birth I think not sure about her.Mini horses are different from big horses. I have both type of horses.
Thank you all for your help.
melissa

Cathy
Yearling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa I just reread your original post. Are you saying the bays parents are both red? I must be reading wrong because it is impossible for 2 red parents to have a bay offspring. That is the same for any breed

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy,
My mini papers show her parents both red parents. Maybe the previous owners of the parents where wrong about the color. My mini bay dam was solid chestnut and sire was solid sorrel. I don't understand it myself. Help!!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
Is it possible that your bay mare is actually a dark chestnut? I have seen some minis that are genetic chestnuts that could easily be mistaken for bay.
OR... it is possible that one of the chestnut parents was actually a silver bay....they could VERY easily be confused for a chestnut. The silver gene dilutes all the black coloring, so you would have a red horse with light colored points, mane and tail... but it is a genetic bay. Silver bays are really common in minis. If your bay mare is a true bay, then my guess is that one of her "chestnut" parents was a silver bay.
So, if you breed this mare to your chestnut grey stud....
Your bay mare (assuming one of her parents is a silver bay) is carrying black, chestnut and agouti... she obviously did not get the silver gene if she has black points, mane and tail.
Don't know what your stallion is carrying other than for sure 1 copy of red and has the greying gene.
So you could get black, bay or chestnut all with the 50% possibility of greying out.

Jenn
Yearling
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lady I know who breeds minis told me that it is almost imposible to predict color in minis because the breed is a bit of everything and seems to contains all evey gene out there that effects color.

Sandy I agree with you about the possibility of the silver gene, but the chestnut stud would be homozygous for red (if he carried the gene for black he wouldn't be chestnut) so the percentages as I know them would be:
50% chestnut
50% black or bay
and of all foals 50% will get the grey gene.

If the mare is a dark chestnut, all babys would be red with a 50% chance of getting the gray gene.

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for helping me with my minis
Here are some pictures of the bay mare and the gray stud. The picture of the stud is after we trim him.Tell me what you all think. What colors do they look to you all. The bay mare has bay on her papers. The stud has gray on his papers. The stud has red hairs when he has his winter cloth on.
THANKS Melissa
www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELLO EVERYONE,
My mini cricket foaled last night MAY 15. Cricket had a bay filly. you can see them
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/MBCricket2006fillymini/
Take care,
Melissa

Jan Owen
Yearling
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONGRATULATIONS MELISSA! Mom and baby look great! What a darling little girl. Enjoy!

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How will I know if my mini foal will grey out?
see her on http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/MBCricket2006fillymini/
I am new to the grey gene stuff. The stud was a grey stud the mare is bay.
thanks MELISSA

Jan Owen
Yearling
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa, I had a foal born in 3/2003. He was bay with black legs and points and a dorsal stipe and baring on his legs. His mother was grey and his father was bay. He went one whole year through several sheds no grey. When he started to drop his 2nd year winter coat there were a few grey hairs. He just sheded out this year and his face has tons of grey some throught his coat and his main and tail are starting to grey. Grey is dominant and if your baby inherited the grey gene then it will grey. But the greying factor works its time differently on every horse. At this rate my guy will not be grey for years. His mother did not fully grey out till after she was 8. She still has lots of bay ticking. I love the greys! I always bet them at the track!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US