SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Appaloosa mare what color would she have

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Appaloosa mare what color would she have « Previous Next »

melissa
Neonate
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a Appaloosa mare that we might breed to our bay and white tobiano stud. The mare is a line back dun appaloosa mare with few spots.We were wanting to know what type of foal we could end up with. My children like both of this horses. I am affraid the foal will turn out with alot of different colors.What do you all think?What color stud should we breed her to, if not him?

Thank you
melissa

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking you're talking minis here.... I hope.
Sorry, I'm an Appaloosa breeder and the thought of breeding an Appaloosa to a Paint just makes me cringe.
Anyway, more than likely the tobiano markings are going to outweigh the appaloosa markings on this cross.. it usually does unless you have a very loud colored app. Apps with a "few spots" are generally not good color producers.
If you get both coat patterns present in the foal, the color is known as a pintaloosa in the minis.
Without knowing if your line back dun is a red dun or bay dun it's hard to say what base colors you could get.

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
My appaloosa mare is a big mare horse. I think she is call a line back dun mare. This mare has very few spots on her but. The mare has a little white through her coat. Thank you for your help.
MELISSA

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
If your mare has a little white going through her coat, she may also have the varnish (or roaning) gene. This may pass to your foal also. So your foal may start to whiten out with age.
Does your mare have a red mane and tail or black mane and tail? If her mane and tail are reddish, she is a red dun..if they are black, she is a bay dun.
If she is a bay dun, you have a very high probability of getting a bay foal with 50% chance of it having the dun dilution and 50% chance of it having tobiano markings (this is assuming the stallion isn't homozygous for tobiano) and 50% chance of it having Appy characteristics also.
If she is a red dun, you could get black,(assuming the stallion isn't homozygous bay) bay, or chestnut and the same 50% chances for the dun, tobiano and Appaloosa.
Your color possibilities are pretty extensive with this cross. It should be interesting to see what you get

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I put a few pictures of Dixie Girl the appaloosa on the www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
Let me know what you think. Dixie is skinny, because when we got her she was very thin.I took the pictures of her right after we got her. I need to take new ones. We have had her about a month now.The stud we are thinking of breeding her to is the bay and white stud colt on the site named Little Man.When Little Man is older.
Thanks Melissa

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Melissa,
I looked at the pic of your Appy mare... it's really hard to say what her base color is, but I would say she is probably a red base color. She doesn't have a lot of Appy markings, so I'm guessing if you breed her to your Paint horse, you will definitely have a higher chance for getting a pinto colored horse rather than anything with Appy markings. But anything is possible... it will be fun to see what you get.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
I put another picture of Dixie on the site of her other side of her body.The vet thinks this mare might have heaves. Can you breed a mare with heaves?
www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
Thanks MELISSA

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you can breed a mare with heaves, but.... it could be very rough on her. Heaves in horses is the same thing as asthma in humans. The weight of carrying a foal could make it harder for her to breath when she has an attack.
I had a stallion who had heaves and there is treatment for it. We did the treatment on our stallion and it put his heaves into remission, but we had to be careful with what we fed him. We had to soak his hay to get rid of the dust. If you put your mare on the treatment for heaves, you cannot breed her during the treatment because the treatment consists of using steroids.
There is also another thing you can try.. there is an herbal supplement called "Cough Free", it actually helps to repair damaged airways. It works well, but it doesn't work as well as the veterinary treatment. The vet treatment is kind of expensive, but if it will put your horse's heaves in remission, it's worth it.
I tried a lot of things for my stallion.. he got to the point that he was coughing so hard and so often that it was starting to burst the blood vessels in his eyes and he was losing a lot of weight. I did the vet treatment and he was symptom free for 2 years. I sold him and his new owners say he has continued to stay symptom free.
Good luck!

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
The vet don't know for sure if Dixie Girl has the heaves.The vet thinking she might, because of the cold she had and the coughing. The warm weather will tell all. I am afraid she might have heaves, because she started coughing two weeks after we got her.The vet came out here to check her. The vet did a culture from her nose. The culture came back fine. This mare is not coughing as of right now. The vet gave her 4 days of streiods last week.Where can you get the cough free stuff? The vet don't want to give her anything yet, unless she starts coughing again. I hope she just had a cold, but I think it might be the heaves.This mare is very sweet mare. The previous owner just had her out in the pasture doing nothing, but having foals. This mare is broke to ride as well. This mare weaned a foal back in Dec 2005. We use square bales for our horses. We have gave this mare all of her shots as well and wormming.
Thanks MELISSA

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10447
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, breeding COPD ("heavy") mares may also improve their condition. For some mares the hormones (or something) in pregnancy improves the breathing.

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
I had noticed that the heaves seemed worse in my stallion during the spring and summer rather than the winter. And heaves is usually worse in horses that are confined or indoors rather than ones in pasture. You may be lucky and your mare may have just had a respiratory infection, a cold, or something else.
You can find Cough Free through State Line Tack... they have a website... www.statelinetack.com
Jos:
Interesting about it improving in some mares during pregnancy.. that's some good food for thought.

Sandy
Nursing Foal
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Melissa, and All,
I have a 19yr old App Gelding. 4mos after purchasing him 2 yrs ago (he was vet checked) he started coughing, and nasty snot globs out of his nose. I had him cultured and tried some things recommended by the vet. Asked about COPD or about having an allergy test. I had lost one horse to COPD and was getting very worried. Tried almost everything plus the cough free and some stuff from England. Nothing worked. this last spring my vet said that it might be the COPD starting. I asked for an allergy test and it was done. He is allergic to timothy, brome, corn, beets, mouse epithelials,feathers, and too many more to list. My vet started him on allergy shots regimine and he is doing so much better and is now able to be ridden without any problem. Maybe this is something that you would like to check on. The test was about 286.00 and the regimine is 2 shots at prescribed times working up to once a month........and was in the high 200's too. But with my "baby" it is worth it. He is my therapy horse. Good luck.. ... Sandy K.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
We have this mare out in a pasture. We bring her in to feed twice a day. The mare has been doing good until this morning. I went to feed her running nose nasty looking again. The mare was coughing a little bit. We had cold weather last night in the 20's. The vet thinks she might just have a cold. The vet didn't want to give her anything for a few days to see how she does. This mare does not have fever as of now. I hope she don't have COPD (heaves). We really like her, but we just got her about 5 weeks ago. This mare has been sick since we have had her. I have children of my own. I don't think we can afford treatments like Sandy D. We treated a horse last year for a cold found out she had cancer. The filly we had that had cancer had a running nasty nose, but no cough. We treated her with alot of different things. When the filly die the vet did austody her she had cancer she was only 2 yrs old. We had the filly only 2 weeks, before she got sick.The owner was nice to give us another horse for the one we lost.I hope this mare don't have anything like that.We could had brought another horse for what we paid last year for the filly treatments. We can't afford that again this year. So please pray she will be fine.
Thanks MELISSA

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
I wish the best for you and your mare. I know how frustrating it is to have a horse that has some kind of illness and you just don't know what to do for it.
A runny nose is not normally one of the symptoms of COPD.. it is usually just a harsh, dry cough that can be worse while the horse is eating.
Another thing my vet had told me that is a good indicator that a horse has COPD is that they will usually have a defined ridge running along the side of their belly, like they have really worked out their stomach muscles. And it is from coughing so much that it does tighten the stomach muscle. He had pointed it out to me on my stallion that had COPD. I had noticed it, but thought it just meant my horse was in shape, ya know, nice tight stomach muscles. But it was actually a sign of heaves.
Have you tried giving her a good deworming? There are worms that can infest the lungs and make them cough too.
I truly hope your mare just has a cold and will get over it.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy D,
You can see a picture of this mare(Dixie Girl) on the site after we got her. www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
Tell me if you see a heave line? This mare was coughing a good bit tonight when I went to feed.
Sometimes the cough is nothing other times it is worst. Her nose was running some. Yes we have wormed her with invermtin already per the vet. We are going to worm her again soon.I order more wormer off line sould be here this week. We are going to worm her with strogid next.I hope I spell the wormers right.
This mare is 13 yrs old. This mare has had foals before and broke to ride.
THANKS Melissa

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I ordered some cough free today online with countrysupply.com for $11.95 for a lb. I will try it to see if it will work for this mare. Will this hurt her if she is in foal or breed?Do you all mix it will sweet feed or what?
Thanks Melissa

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
I don't see a heave line on her in the photos.

I use the Cough Free as a top dressing over sweet feed. Just mix it in real good, because it does kind of have a strong smell and some horses don't want to eat it right away.
I can't remember if it says on the label whether or not it is safe to give to pregnant mares. I do know it is an all natural, herbal supplement but there are some herbs that are not safe for pregnant mares. I have never needed to give it to a pregnant mare, so I really am not sure.
I know my stallion had got ahold of the bucket one time and ate almost all of it, and it didn't hurt him at all.

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
The bay and white tobiano stud I ask about early has tested for homozygous for the tobiano gene. Does this mean he will produce a spotted foal with this appaloosa mare.
thanks MELISSA

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US