SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Anyone heard of a chocolate Palomino?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Anyone heard of a chocolate Palomino? « Previous Next »

Kassie Finley
Neonate
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend that has a very very dark Palomino, he calls her a Chocolate palomino, her mane is very different almost looks like it has some cream and some grey in it. here is a picture of her: http://www.defevercountry.com/Picture%20019.jpg
http://www.defevercountry.com/Picture%20021.jpg
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen one? I was told it comes from the liver sorrel. This filly's grandfather is MR YELLA FELLA and he is said to be a chocolate Palomino. but AQHA does not recognize this color. any input?

Kassie Finley
Neonate
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh also he has this mare as well, she looks to be sorrel with a grey mane and tail here is her pic http://www.defevercountry.com/Picture%20042.jpg
What color would you call her?

Lazy IDH
Neonate
Username: Lazyidh

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.geocities.com/lazyidh/rowdy3.JPG
This is what I would refer to as a Chocolate Palomino...he may be turning silver dapple now, but this was my mini colt at two months of age when I shaved off his sorrel baby coat.

Tansy Brassfield
Nursing Foal
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a dark palomino stallion, I don't call him chocolate , but he looks a lot like the color of the horse in the pictures of Kassies friend. You can see him at www.brassfieldranch.com under SPC Cut N Oak, pictures of his sire and dam are on his page too. He is very dark with lots of different colors mixed through his tail and I assume this is from the rabicano gene he carries, since he has patches of roan and a coon tail.His coat shines with an irrodecent sheen all year long, like something you have never seen, it is so pretty.ANYWAY.... I would say that Lazy IDH's mini is definatly a chocolate palomino.

Kim Winter
Weanling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow - these are beautiful colours, they are all lovely - cut n oak is just gorgeous - lucky you all of you!

Kelly Lea Adams
Nursing Foal
Username: Kelly_lea

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kassie,

Just want to clear up something here. :-)

Mr Yella Fella is a regular palomino colour. He's not a chocolate palomino. He's a dark golden palomino which is different from a chocolate palomino. Chocolate palominos aren't allowed to be registered with PHBA (Palomino Horse Breeders Association) which Mr Yella Fella is. :-)

Regarding that filly, I'd ask the friend if they had fun bleaching her mane and tail. Which is what gives her that gray appearance. If you notice on the close up, there's a growth line, and the roots of her growth line are sorrel.

I say this because I have a palomino mare, and her roots are definitely not sorrel. :-)

She could be a palomino, but until she's tested I'm hedging my bets with sorrel. :-)

Kelly Adams

Kelly Lea Adams
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lazy IDH,

I'm afraid that foal you're showing is actually a silver bay.

It's legs show lighter colouring (ignoring the white) than the rest of the body which proves to me it's more than likely a silver bay.

I'm afraid that's not a chocolate palomino. :-)

Kelly Adams

Lazy IDH
Neonate
Username: Lazyidh

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kelly...silver bay is good!!!

(You wouldn't believe all the different opinions I have gotten...ha!)

Kassie Finley
Nursing Foal
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly, I know it looks like they die her mane but the did not. This filly was born a sorrel and they even registered her a sorrel but at about 3 months old her mane started to lighten and looked like a normal cream color, then about another month it started looking kind of silver. He had someone come look at her and they said she was a palomino, so he changed it on her papers to palomino. She is very pretty in person. But her mane is natural. I found the link to Mr Yella Fella and he has that same silvery kind of mane she has. here is the link http://fossilgatefarms.com/main.html

(he is just awsome)

Kelly Lea Adams
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Yella Fella is awesome, I have a mare I've been thinking about breeding to him. :-)

That silvery/creamish kind of colour is actually called flaxen. Most think flaxen is white, but it's really not. Flaxen is more an off white than a pure bleached-like white. It has ranges of tone in it to be sure just like coat colours do. :-)

I would still have that filly colour tested though to put all doubts to rest. And I agree she is pretty. :-)

Paula (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.203.16.9
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a dark palomino mare and she has a very dark tail. I have argued with some people on her color, they want to say that she is sorrel, but she had a cremello baby this spring.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/horsecrzy_/146Roll-R1-032-14A.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/horsecrzy_/829roll-R1-020-8A.jpg

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula, I would have said that she was a sorrel just by looking at her but that is impossible if she did in fact have a cremello foal ... the foal gives you your answer, no need for any one to question you or for you to second guess yourself. If it was a genuine Cremello ... No more questions!

Sara B
Neonate
Username: Countercanter

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three colors often confused, but which are totally different genetically.

Palomino - one dose of cream on a chestnut/sorrel coat. A little known fact is that palominos can have manes and tails that are not white - they can range anywhere from white-ish to blonde to self colored (the same color as the body). This is easy to confirm with a test from UC Davis.

Flaxen Chestnut - a "red" (sorrel/chestnut) horse with a light mane and tail. The mane/tail may appear almost white and cause the horse to be confused with a palomino. Often red, blonde, and nearly white hairs are mixed together in the mane and tail which would give a silvery appearance. This is when it gets confused for silver black (if the horse is very dark liver) or silver bay (if it is a lighter brownish color).

Silver - a dilution gene that only affects black pigment. A silver bay will have a diluted mane and tail and diluted lower legs where there is normally black hair. It closely resembles a flaxen chestnut or a dark palomino at times, and many many silvers are mis-registered. A silver black (also called silver dapple but they do not always have dapples) looks like a very dark liver color with a lighter mane and tail. The silver dilution is common in some breeds (mini, American Shetland, Rocky Mountain) and newly discovered in others (Quarter Horse). There is no test for silver yet but there is a test for bay (the horse will test as black with agouti) so again, the mystery is easy to solve.

A horse's genetic makeup will never change, but sometimes the changes in the coat from one season to another, or bodyclipping, will make a horse appear to have changed from one color to another.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what a lot of people say. She has always looked palomino to me. She is a very unusual one though. I have never seen one just like her, especially the dark tail. Here is her first baby by a buckskin. She may be perlino and not cremello but have to wait and get the color test back.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/horsecrzy_/sweetysbaby.jpg

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Paula,
I have a VERY dark palomino stallion that has a lot of black/grey red hairs mixed through his tail. He carry's the rabicano gene. You can see him at www.brassfieldranch.com under SPC Cut N Oak. He has thrown three palomino's this year and a smokey black. I have lots of people comenting on thinking he is a sorrel but he isn't , his sire looks just like him too. He is irrodecent when the sun shines right. I actually perfer the dark palomino instead of the washed out light one, but I DNA the babies just to be sure since they are born looking almost sorrel.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tansy! I actually have looked at your wonderful stallion a couple of months ago when I first bought this mare.I was sure that she was palomino and her papers said that she was chestnut. I have had them changed now. He was one of the only ones to have a shade close to hers and he also has the gold in his tail that I couldn't find on any other palominos. She is reining bred also, she has Doc Bar and Mr San peppy right on her papers, right off on the fifth generation she has Poco Bueno, Hollywood Gold and Three Bars. I think they would be a wonderful cross! Its nice to meet you, funny that I found you here! Small world!

Cathy Hill
Neonate
Username: Smoothmule

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks sorrel with flaxen mane and tail to me. Regardless as to whether her sire was a palomino or not, she could be sorrel. Testing her for the cream gene would be the only way to be certain if she is or is not carrying the cream gene which would indeed make her a palomino. But she looks nothing at all like a chocolate palomino. I've seen some pretty dark golden palominos and they can certainly have some grey hairs mixed in the white mane and tail. I believe there is a certain percentage of grey allowed in the mane and tail by the Palomino registry. She doesn'tlook at all silver dapple either.
She looks young, she may well be a totally different color when she matures.
I had a filly by a chocolate palomino stallion and a chestnut mare that was typical pally color at birth, by foal shed her body was brown, and i mean dark brown like those choclate rocky mountain horses. By age 2 she was nearly white, an Isabella Palomino.
I can email some pictures if anyone is interested in this weird color change.
cathill@alltel.net

linda talatzko
Neonate
Username: Yellassetsmom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Yellafella/BanksAssets 2 yr filly and she is the same color as "fella" her dad is a own son (Cremello) son of Fella,sorral mom out of (Golden) Banks Assets has the 2 tone tail like Fella,and the sooty spots like him too ,but she is diffinatly golden,who knows what she'll end up as? very unique color,but really the same color as the pictured horse even the silver mane w/sorrel in it!(no dye job}} I agree!

linda talatzko
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/sellthehouse/?action=view&current=04-02- 09honeyatthewashrackatsunset.jpg
this is Ba Banks Yellassets as you can see she is a lot of colors now as she is shedding A LOT! and the ashy spot are on her neck and face

linda talatzko
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/sellthehouse/1mryellafella1.jpg http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/sellthehouse/1jltyellaasiwannabe1.jpg http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/sellthehouse/banksassetthead.jpg
these are some pretty pix of Yellaassets dad "justasyellaasiwannabe"he is very white for a 'creamello" and this is a pix of MryellaFella you can see all his pretty colors,and the other is Ba BanksAssets my fillys maternal grandsire very golden! she is 2 now and has gone from tan to golden to chocolate /combo in a month I have no idea what color she will end up? she has the ash spots too!but it COOL to have a very unusial color flasy horse for the show ring!

Andrea Barnes
Weanling
Username: Pf_pony

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. She's right on the cusp of palomino and chestnut. I've seen chestnuts that light with silver flaxen manes and I've seen palaminos with very dark manes and tails.
What color were her dam and sire?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US