SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is She a Buckskin??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Is She a Buckskin?? « Previous Next »

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have a little yearling mini filly that was born a true little buckskin colour. A nice (light) gold and had the black mane and tail.
She is out of a Bay (Chestnut X Bay) by a Cremello (Pally x Pally).
As she has matured, she has developed alot of white through her tail. It is now about 75% white, and her points are quite dull still. Her mane and forelock also have quite a bit of white in them.
I clipped her for showing, and she was the usual dilute black when clipped out, and her coat is now slowly growing back to gold.
Is there such thing as a buckskin with a mixed mane/tail? Or is she a late bloomer, and it will turn black and her points will darken as she gets older?? Is there another colour she could be??
You can see pics of her at www.freewebs.com/anyssapark/apgirls.htm She is the first horse on there, "anyssa park egyptian fantasy" There are two pics of her, one at a show, and she has make-up on her face and legs, but she is normally the colour of the pic on the Left hand side.
Any input would be great! Thanks
Renee

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE had a filly out of a bay mare and a cremello stallion as well. She had much white in her mane and tail as well that we were told was called frosted. This I think is more characteristic of a buckskin out of a cremello or a perlino due to teh double dilute but I dont know. It sure is perty though!

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gynna, thanks! I have never seen it. I have seen that alot of buckies will clip out to that colour, but never one with so much white. I just wasnt sure.
Thanks!
Renee

kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.109.46.51
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this little filly is what I call a buttermilk buckskin she has the light color body and the white hairs in her mane and tail. here is a link to her picture
http://www.defevercountry.com/buck2.jpg
and http://www.defevercountry.com/muffin3.jpg

Renee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie,
Thanks for that input and the pics. What colour is this mares dam and sire? My filly is actually clipped in those pics, you can see more of her in natural coat (as a foal- she's been clipped for showing since) at www.freewebs.com/anyssapark/apbabies.htm (she;s the last lot of pics) Was your mare this colour as a foal?? I think she will turn out quite similar to your mare. I notice your mare also has the lighter black points too.. interesting.

Kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a yearling filly she is not mine but belongs to a friend of mine. I never saw her when she was little but her parents are here:
sire was a buckskin http://www.defevercountry.com/muffinsdad.jpg
mother was a sorrel http://www.defevercountry.com/Picture%20037.jpg
She is what we call a Buttermilk buckskin. You can also get this color if you breed a cremello to a bay or a cremello to a buckskin. that is not the only color possibility but it is one of them. I have seen many of these buckskins they are my favorite. very pretty. The filly in the picture has won many shows and futurity shows. In person she lookes almost like a perlino with black points, she is so light color.

Kassie

kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh here is a picture of her as a weanling she is about 8 months old http://www.defevercountry.com/muffin.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US