SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Percentage for cremello or perlino

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Percentage for cremello or perlino « Previous Next »

SPC Cut N Oak (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.246.27.15
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am buying a perlino mare that is out of a palomino sire and a grullo dam and she is bred to a palomino stallion that is out of a Palomino sire and a chestnut dam. What are my percentages for cremello or perlino or palomino or buckskin? This mare has thrown two pal, one smokey buckskin and one grullo not by the same stud though. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Posted From: 66.71.220.248
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This mare cannot be perlino if her dam was grullo, unless the dam was really a smoky black? Perlinomust be the reslut of two dilute horses being crossed, and if she produced a grullo she only has one cream copy, not two. Are her eyes blue?

SPC Cut N Oak (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.246.60.164
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes her eyes are blue and she is the color of a perlino. her dam is out of a grullo and a dun and both are out of buckskins and a sorrel and buckskin and a bay, so I am figuring that the her dam carried the creme gene plus being a grullo? Can a perlino also carry dun factor?

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a grullo is a black buckskin from my understanding, which would make the mare a double dilute. Because you have bred her to a Pally stallion you have a greater chance of produceing aPally or Cremello rather than a Perlino. You would have a 50% chance at a Pally and i think a 50% chance of a Cremello. I don't think you can get a buckskin or a Perlino from this breeding (if you can get a perlino it is a very small percentage i am not to sure how the double dilute bay gene works when mixed with a double dilute red gene which is what your mare is. Red is a more dominate gene though). The reason for 0% Buckskin is there is no bay gene there to create a Buckskin. Hope that helped some.

Cathy
Yearling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK here is where the problems start. You can not get a dun or grullo out of buckskin and sorrel or buckskin and bay. The dun gene does not skip generations. If the parents were in fact buckskin sorrel and buckskin bay the parents cannot be grullo and dun out of those combinations. It looks like some if not all of these horses were not registered under the correct color.

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cathy, I think you are in America? because in Australia a Grullo is what you in America call a smokey black (if you said smokey black to most people here that would just give you a funny, confused look). I'm not sure where SPC is from but that is where i drew my conclusions from. I din't even factor in a dun gene as Dun is called Dun here, and then it's colour is added so for example red dun, blue dun etc...

Cathy
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma I was refering to the post above you.

Tansy Brassfield
Nursing Foal
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it possible for this mare to be a perlino carrying the dun gene as well- her great grandsire was a sorrel bred to a buckskin and this could be right and on the bottom is a bay bred to a buckskin and this could have actually been a dun which would have been a grullo bred to a buskskin even though aqha has this horse as a dun and then that produced her dam which is a grullo which could have also carried the creme gene- which produced her a perlino- who has blue eyes and is the perlino color and has been a 100% color producer on sorrel stallions

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hve heard of dunalinos as well. I imagine that there are many horses that have been mis reg in their color now that we know so much more about the color genes. Remember when a cremello or perlino were considerd albinos? I do as we had one as a child and a friend bred her bay morgan/appy solid mare to an "albino" qh and the resulting foal was a beautiful blanket bucksin colt. I have a mare that is a reg dun as well but I think she is more of a heavy countershaded chestnut( but her main and tail come out black and fade to red???) but she is out of a brown and a bay??
I have another question..what gene type is a brown anyway? her sire threw many bays on chestnut mares as well as bucksin so he has the agouti gene but is he mis reg as well( a bay not a brown) I was told he was almost black in color.

Kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.109.46.51
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Cremello Stallion, and his father was a perlino bred to a cremello and the resulting foal was a Cremello. I know if we breed our Cremello to a Palomino the chance is 50%Palomino and 50%Cremello. in the case of a perlino I am not for sure but I would guess you would get the same a 50/50 chance.

Hope that helped some

Kassie

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred my palomino mare to my buckskin stallion.
What are the chances for cremello?
What are the chances for perlino?
Is it 25% for each?
I know there is a 50% chance for a double dilute, I had never thought about it before of whether it would be a cremello or perlino.
The palomino mare is by a black sire and out of what everyone referred to as a bay mare, obviously she was not bay, although she looks it and I don't know what color her parents were. My mare is definitely palomino, she has produced a palomino foal from a black stallion.
The buckskin stallion is by a perlino sire and chestnut dam. So I believe he is carrying black, red, agouti and cream.
The buckskin stallion has produced a black foal, a smokey black foal (both out of a silver black mare) and a very dark liver chestnut with flaxen mane and tail (out of a sorrel mare).

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy I think your chances are 25% for a Perlino foal. I don't think that you can breed a Cremello from that breeding because the agouti gene is present. If i'm wrong I'm sure i will be pulled up on it!

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma,
To my understanding, I think she could get a cremello! As long as the stud does not throw the agouti to the foal, the baby could get a creme gene and red base from the dam, and a creme gene from the sire. This would make it a cremello.
Joanna

Cathy
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any red based horse can have the agouti gene. It only affects black. So yes you can get a cremello and that cremello can have the agouti gene.

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well there you go ... told you i would get corrected ... Thanks Guys!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I knew I could get cremello or perlino, I was just wondering if it is 25% chance of each?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US