SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colour gurus... your thoughts please

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Colour gurus... your thoughts please « Previous Next »

Saucy
Nursing Foal
Username: Saucy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 mares in foal for 2006, could you tell me what the colour options are for the foals please:

Bay mare (by a bay stallion o/o a chestnut mare) in foal to a dark bay stallion (by a bay stallion o/o a black/brown mare)

Dark bay mare (by a bay stallion out of a bay mare)in foal to a dark bay stallion (by a bay stallion o/o a black/brown mare). Both of the parents of my mare had 1 chestnut parent each.

If you feel like a challenge... what about my breeding plans for next year:

Dark bay/brown mare (by a black stallion out of a bay mare) to a dark bay/brown stallion (by a bay stallion out of a brown mare)

Dark Bay mare (by a bay stallion out of a chestnut mare) to a bay stallion (by a black stallion out of a dark bay/brown mare)

Bay mare (by a bay stallion out of a bay mare) to a bay stallion (by a black stallion out of a dark bay/brown mare)

Bay mare (by a bay stallion out of black mare) to a bay stallion (by a black stallion out of a dark bay/brown mare)

Bay mare (by a bay stallion out of a chestnut mare) to a bay stallion (by a chestnut stallion out of a grey mare)

There's a challenge for you !!!

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saucy,
Your only chances for any of these crosses are bay, chestnut, and black. As all of these horses are some variation of a bay, you will more then likely get a bunch of bay babies. :-)
Hope this helps.
Joanna

kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.109.46.51
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you where to breed your bay mare to a cremello you would have a chance at a palomino, or a buckskin.

Just input for you next breedings.

Kim Winter
Weanling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you bred a chestnut mare to a cremello what would I stand a chance of getting?

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would get a palomino 100% of the time. The reason is a palomino is a chestnut with a cream gene. It would get one creme gene from the sire, and would get one chestnut from the dam, giving you a palomino baby every time.
I am actually considering this for my chestnut mare, she has a great disposition and always gives it to her babies, and I just want to add some color to that wonderful attitude.
Joanna

Kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.109.46.51
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes most of the time you would get a palomino with a chestnut but if the cremello has any Agouti gene in him it would be possible to get a buckskin with that cross. Our colt may have the possiblity of the agouti gene since his father was a Perlino, we are having him tested soon at UC Davis. But if he does not carry any agouti the only possiblity you would get is a Palomino. This is a cremello stallion that does not carry the agouti we are breeding our mare to in Feb. http://www.horseofcorff.com/30390180.jpg

You know I am posting enough i think I will register with this board. :-)

Cathy
Yearling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie the agouti gene only affects black based horses, so the chestnut cremello cross will never produce a buckskin.

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I have known a cremello only carries the double dilute creme gene, were a PERLINO carries the double dilute and the aguti MODIFIER which is why they can produce buckskins. If you colt is a cremmelo then he does not have the aguti gene as it does not hide.

Kassie Finley
Neonate
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm interesting. This is my first time to own a cremello stallion. The woman that I bought him from told me to have him tested for agouti that he may have it, since his father was a Perlino and both his grandfathers where Buckskin. His mother was a cremello and he is a cremello here is his picture:
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/koda2.jpg
(i just love to share pics of my baby lol)
anyhow this is what she told me and since she has a cremello stallion and a cremello mare I just figured she knew what she was talking about. Ok so how would a horse get the agouti?

Cathy
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie cremello can carry the agouti gene!! My palomino stallion has been tested and has it.
Like I posted above any horse can have the gene. It just will not show on a red based horse. So my stallion bred to a chestnut will never produce a buckskin, but when bred to a black mare she can have a buckskin. In fact I have a weanling buckskin filly now out of a black mare and him.
Gynna a pelino has at least one black gene, at least one agouti gene and two cream genes.
A cremello has two red genes, two cream genes, and can certainly have one or two agouti genes

Kassie Finley
Neonate
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok. I think I understand. thanks.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm Kassie. If I were a betting woman, I would say that this stallion is a Perlino instead of Cremello. Have you had him tested? Perlinos have darker manes and tails, Cremellos have manes and tails the same color as their coats. It seems to me that your fellow has darker mane and tail and since he comes from a Perlino and cremello, he could actually be Perlino. Have you thought about having him tested?

P.s. I just bought a perlino homo tobi stud colt and hes being shipped up to Canada this week ! He has the slightly darker mane and tail and was DNA tested to be Ee, which is Perlino. ee would be cremello.

Cathy
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie Has he been tested for agouti? Ee CrCr could be smokey cream not perlino if he doesn't have the agouti gene.

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for clarrifing that Cathy! This just gets so darned confusing and you hear so many different things. And to think just a few years ago these horses where considered albinos..We have come a ways in genetics for sure..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US