SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colour genetic gurus come on back!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Colour genetic gurus come on back! « Previous Next »

Shari Chubaty
Nursing Foal
Username: Springbank

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Piper foaled just the prettiest filly last Saturday, (A girl,YAY!)But colour???? I THINK red roan. But heres the thing- she was born with PINK skin, round the eyes, her bum, teats, etc. and had a caramel muzzle, dorsal stripe, and was almost a pearly chestnut, with roaning. Her mother is a blue roan, sire is a Palomino, BUT, her grandmother on her dams side, despite being registered as a blue roan, has totally greyed. All the others in the line on this filly's dam side are roans. Her sires side is Palomino and buckskin. Will she grey? Is there a possibility of her actually being a grey? Where do you send for testing? Thoughts, guesses?
Heres her pictures;
http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/Springbankminis/GloryB/

Shari Chubaty
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Diana- just thought of it- you have minis, where do you send out for DNA testing to? We're up in Canada, and I don't need to DNA for AMHR registry, so I'll have to do it on my own. It has been suggested that Piper is actually a smokey black roan, and that this filly may be a champagne roan???? It'll drive me nuts if I don't find out for sure!

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful baby.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the the color but she is darling! Congratulations!!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shari,
I think she is a roan and I think she will gray... she looks to have the googles. BUT if the skin is white around her eyes.... thats not the same. In order for her to go gray one parent must have be gray.
I have to laugh because your mare and foal look almost exactly like mine!!!!
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Bonnyfoal2010/7-27-10twistfirstd ayout004.jpg

I believe my mare to be a roan that is graying because she is progressively getting lighter every year.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she does appear to be a roan.....however, if her girly bits are pink, I'd have to wonder how she'll actually turn out. Usually with roan in the pedigree, you're getting it...but, roan is tricky, and changes ALOT. Especially as a youngster. If her pink girly bits and muzzle seem to have spots on them, like freckles, she's probably a champagne. What color are her eyelashes? I send mine to UCDavis for testing, http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/index.php

Shari Chubaty
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll check on the freckles diana, her eyelashes are red. I think i'm going to have to shave this filly!
Holly I almost choked when I saw your mare and filly- that is bizarre! We should set all four up as a team! (HA!)
Actually neither of her parents are grey- it's her grandma whos grey, but was registered as a blue roan. ? QH colors were WAY easier to figure out!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started to shave Twist( my filly) but the clippers went dull. grrr! She is much lighter under her foal coat, her mane and tail are turning dark like Bonnys too. It will be interesting to see how these filys turn out!

Shari Chubaty
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt! We just got home today after a few days gone to a wedding, aand our filly Glory is shedding around the eyes and muzzle areas- and this filly sure looks grey to me! (grrrr) I will take some snapshots tommorrow, and post them, and this week is shaving week! We'll see what's under there!

Shari Chubaty
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the pictures, taken today. i am told that for a foal to be grey, one parent MUST be grey. Is this true? Cause then she's a roan- and you know, despite that Buckaroo neck, I LIKE this filly!
http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/Springbankminis/GloryB/GloryB%203%20wee ks/

Pam Romjue
Breeding Stock
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a cutie!!! Congrats!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shari, yes they have to have a gray parent. She is def a roan, weather or not she is going to gray.
If she has a lot of gray mixed in her head/face is even more likely she has gray, but foal coats are hard to tell.
check out this page on gray, its very informative and has a great pic of the googles foals get around the eyes when they have the gray gene:-)
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics3.html#grey

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Mare is a blue/ black roan, do you have a pic of the sire?

Andrea Barnes
Nursing Foal
Username: Gsagain

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the parents don't have grey or dun, she can't be either. Same with Champagne.
A lot of roans that have what looks like a dorsal stripe because of the way the hairs change colors over the seasons.
She looks like a normal red roan to me. Absolutely adorable!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US