SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cremello Sabino question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Cremello Sabino question « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All: I have an opportunity to buy a welsh mare, medium, that is a cremello sabino. She would be my first project for breeding ponies and also something for my daughter to ride and get a show record on. She has great breeding and I feel a good price for my first purchase. She is 5 years old and is broke to ride, just has not had alot done with her. She would be used to breed for hunter show ponies. I know many hunter folks don't like the cremello's in the ring, but from what I've been reading, she can certainly cross well with many other colors to throw some fabulously colored foals for the show ring. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions...am I crazy to buy a cremello welsh pony? Thanks

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't know Kim, but certainly hope it all works out for you!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, you are the color guru! HAHA....I don't know what it is about her, but she is pulling on my heart strings...haha. She may have the silver dapple gene as well. Her sire was tested for that and he was positive. Hmmmmm, still thinking, but boy, would a really nice cross be with a homozygous black something....haha

Teresa Byersdorf
Weanling
Username: Bravehart

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She will probably be discriminated a bit for color as the hunter folks like the dark colored horses for that purpose. Being cremello..you will get either palomino, buckskin, or smokey black depending on what color sire you breed her too..and also chance of grey if you breed her to a grey stud. None of those colors except smokey black will help you in the hunter ring...but conformation is more important than color..if she has that...and you like the cremello and the color options it will produce...then do it..just know that you will be hurt in the hunter ring. Just depends on what is important to you.

hedgerow farm
Yearling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is her breeding? Maybe Rosmel Creme de Mint who is a cremello welsh stallion in the Ocala, Fl. area? I have a Rosmel Creme de Mint filly (Blondy)that is Welsh/Arab (light palomino) that I got with plans to breed her to my Welsh/TB chestnut sabino stallion. She is out of a bay Arab mare, I also had a full brother that was dark buckskin. A cremello or even a light palomino like I have in the hunter ring will very rarely ever get a fair shake. But if she is a good honest mount for your child and she will enjoy showing her I say go for it.

(Message edited by Lotsofponies on August 09, 2010)

(Message edited by Lotsofponies on August 09, 2010)

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hedgegrow, yes, he is the sire. I know the hunter people like the dark, but what is so funny, this year at our state 4H show, they picked all light greys that almost looked white...it was pretty hilarious. I was going for the dark smokey black, hopefully, silver dapple. Hoping she has the silver dapple gene...that would be fun. She looks to have nice conformation, but will see her in person soon. thanks for the input. Hedgerow, what are you using your filly for? Breeding for sport ponies? That is also a big thing here in our area too

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean about the grays that look white. Several years ago I had a pinto that had a lot of white and people would say she has to much white, I'd tell them not as much white as that gray over there.

Are you buying the pony from Louise, Mint was at my farm a couple of weeks ago being collected, he is such a sweet gentlemen and a real big mover.
I try to stick to pony hunters but some just turn out to be more sporty than hunter. I was going to breed her to my large pony Sparks Will Fly but not until the economy turns around. I like the British Riding Pony type which are a little Arab,Welsh and TB.
If you get to the Gainesville, Fl area you will have to stop by and see my boys and the other to.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Louise has the pony, I'm going to try and see her today. I have found a beautiful warmblood pony to breed to and he's local AND it's his first year so a nice introductory fee. He is black and he's at Barrington Hill, Encredible...you should see him...solid black 4 whites and a big blaze. Should be large pony. Shes testing for homozygous black...and will still breed this year if I want to...this is moving along much quicker than I thought..haha.

I am heading to Gville to go school shopping if we are not exhausted, I'd love to stop by. K

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kim
Give me a call when you head this way, I'm 8 miles from Canterbury. My cell # is 352-262-6374

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, will try to do....I BOUGHT the mare...you may know her, CiCi. I loved her and fell in love with her immediately. I already have the stallion picked out for the first test breeding. Encredible standing at Barrington Hill. He is a duplicate of Escapade but in pony size. VERY excited....I will be picking her up...maybe today!

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The addiction begins, you do realize ponies are much more addicting than horses. I understand you plan on breeding to Encredible, I just like to meet other small pony breeders in the area, we usually have a lot in common. I met P.Wynn Norman (the breeder & owner of the super event pony Teddy O'conner) earlier this year, me and another pony breeder had lunch with Wynn down in Bellview then went to her farm to see her stallion, Keevie (Teddy's full brother) mares and foals, she has become a good friend and a great source of information. I can't wait to go to the Fl Horse Park to watch Kevvie school cross country. The only problem is we end up talking for hours and hours.

I'm try to remember which one CiCi is, it has been awhile since I have been to Louise's farm, Louise and her husband Brad are really nice people. Ok tell me about CiCi, who is her dam? Is she pure welsh or a cross, section A or section B? How old, how tall? Got to see picture when you get her home.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I do know...and I love them. I was thinking, now what big horse do I need to get rid of...haha. Thank goodness I have a very very small mini farm and can only handle so many here without having to board out which would defeat the purpose.haha. I corresponded with P. Wynn the other day on one of her ponies...she seemed very nice. CiCi, is 5, out of Mint and Tupelo Honey, which was Brad's mare I guess. She is a QH/Arabian mare. CiCi is 1/2 welsh and from what barrington hill tells me, the foal with these two are eligible warmblood registry, so i'm excited about that....she is 13.2h. We used the stick on her today to verify. Brad didn't want to sell her, she is his baby. Louise said I was the only one who ever came to look at her and wanted her for her color..I do love the cremellos but I also love appy's too, so I am a color fool...which is def. not popular in the hunter world my daughter rides in. So hoping for that pretty silver dapple foal! HEHE

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we see pics of your new girl? Please

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a link to a old sale page when she was a yearling...here it is:http://www.abcart.com/welbreds/ForSale.html

You can at least see what she looked like as a yearling, which is usually gangly, but she matured very nicely! :-)

Look for Ci Ci yearling cremello filly on this page, toward bottom :-)

(Message edited by loveMySinbad on August 12, 2010)

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing her last year, she has really matured since them those pictures were taken. The Welara foal that is right above CiCi's pictures is my filly by Mint, Blondy as a weanling, she is now a 4 year old.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so we have sisters! HAHA. I am really excited over this little mare. I sent her hair off yesterday to check for silver gene. Vet cked her yesterday, so will recheck Monday, gonna try one breeding still this month, if it does not take, will start next year. Wanted to get the stud fee locked in, so had to try once this year. I am so hoping he is homozygous black and then one beautiful foal is anticipated! :-) Hope to meet you soon and see your girl

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing you might want to consider is when will the RPSI inspection be held and how old you foal will be if she does get in foal this breeding. I'm guessing it is RPSI. They usually have it pretty much the same time every year. I think this year it was July 27, if it is about the same time next year your foal might be only a few weeks old or even be born afterwards. Just something to consider.

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kim
Book early for next year, I'm sure Alicia will accept payment for the 2011 breeding season now if you want to hold off breeding this year. It's a win win for both of you, you lock in the price and she has you committed to breeding to her stallion. Alicia is a very easy and fair person to work with and alway tries her best to keep the mare owners happy. I had a breeding to Escapade but never had a written contract, I decided I didn't want to breed horses anymore so I traded the breeding to Louise's daughter Wendy for the Mint filly. Of course I talked to Alicia about it before doing the deal and she was fine with it. I assured her I would manage Wendy's mare and she got in foal on 1/2 a shipment.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Alicia seems to think all will be spiffy ok, so we will try at least once this year, if not hold off for next year. She seems pretty excited to get another of his on the ground for next year too. The chances of a maiden taking with a young stallion first time, probably a real long shot, but who knows. By the way I have a friend with a 6 yr old 13.1 pony mare by blue who, welsh out of a swedish warmblood mare. LIver chestnut. She needs to find her a good home, very very reasonably priced. Shes not into breeding and the mare is just not ready for "kids" to ride her. She may even consider a lease situation if you know anyone interested. Trying now to find a neat registered name for our girl, since I get to send the paperwork in.haha

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about
"Creme Fraiche" is a rich cream with a nutty, slightly sour taste and a velvety texture

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that...the silver test came back POSITIVE...so we have a chance for some silver dapple babies maybe...very excited about that.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hedgerow, what kind of coffee creamer are you using??? ROFL sounds YUMMY!!

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't drink coffee, I googled Creme and it was the first thing that came up that sounded nice.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it does sound nice, I agree. it would make a pretty name...and a nice cup of coffee too!

terry waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman_2

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this conversation is very interesting to me as I will have a pony baby next year....by Samantha's Welsh Pony stallion, Lord Solomon (2001 11.3 Hand Section A Welsh Pony
Bred by: Karen Larsen of Ohio) out of my PRE mare, Euforia. She is a bay with a black gene so the baby should be either black or bay. The movement should be wonderful but don't know what size to expect....she is going to be about 15.2 and he is 11.3.

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your mare is Andalusian? How big are her parents? I don't have experience with breeding Andalusians but I bred a Trakehner/tb mare that was 15.2, (her sire was 16.3 and dam was 16.hands) to a 11.3 Section A. She was a maiden mare, the foal grew to 14.1 hands. If I was a betting person I'd say close to 14.2 hands. I know nothing about Andalusians do they register part breds like arab and welsh? What is PRE?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Size wise I got a 11.2 at 18 months old from a 8.1hh and a 15.2 hh mare. I was betting we would get close to 12 hh and we have.
Makes it interesting. Now what would a 6.3hh and a 13.2hh make? maybe close to 10hh?

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This baby can be registered both Half andalusian and half Welsh...am hoping for a really pretty, good moving sport pony eligible for a pony card...

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are a couple of pictures of Euforia...she is on the small side but very typey with a beautiful head and neck...her movement is not extravagant but quite nice with some lift and extention

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1010987.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1010986.jpg[/IMG]
HERE IS THE WEBSITE FOR INFO ON THE DADDY
http://www.secretambitionstables.moonfruit.com/#/bur-dal-lord-solomon/4536395324

hedgerow farm
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure you'll get a pony. How big are most Andalusians? When is she due?

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I can't wait to see your foal out of solomon. I almost selected him first, but was afraid the foal would be too small, since she is only a medium. Hedgerow, do you think my chances of keeping a large pony or pretty good with the cross with Encredible? The mare is 13.1 and a smidge. Her sire of course was mint who is 12h and her dam Honey was 14.2. Encredible is 14.1 right now and his dam was purebred welsh and of course sire is Escapade. I want to see a foal from these two so bad, but, if for some reason it excedes pony height, hopefully, there will still be a market for him as a small junior hunter/jumper. Any thoughts?

terry waechter
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many Andalusian mares are in the 15.2 range but most of mine are 16hh and more so Euforia is on the small size for my program that is why I thought I would try to find a niche for her....

She is due April 22....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US